RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 01-13-2019, 07:32 PM

Default High Command

One of the classic things that became not so much a 'problem' but more a odd point was what did the GM do when the players got hold of a radio and asked higher command for orders.

For European PCs this was an especially important aspect because their characters were effectively still at war whereas after Going Home US characters should either join the Bundeswehr or evacuate to the CONUS.

A big aspect of this is of course if the players do rejoin a unit then often they will be broken up and attached to their correct arms of service. The NCOs will be split up and put in command of several enlisted men (there's rarely any E1s in twilight 2000!) and the officers attached to other units as well.

I though this might be a good thread for us to come up for missions for PCs from high command when the PCs are not in proximity of coherent NATO unit.

My first thought was of a 'straggler collection point'. The PCs are instructed to entrench into a small settlement and stragglers will be directed to them by radio. When they have collected enough the PCs do a 'cannonball run' towards the nearest NATO unit and drop off the collected stragglers. They may also be used possibly for prisoner swaps as an afterthought.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:38 PM

Initial orders would have to be along the lines of getting back to friendly lines while inflicting what damage was possible on the enemy along the way. Given the distances involved and slow pace of movement due to lack of fuel, etc I'd think actually reaching a point where reassignment becomes an issue probably wouldn't happen - evacuation on TF-34 would probably be well under way.
Once embarked, some amount of reorganisation may occur, and the easiest way to keep the PCs together may be a few promotions and possible NPC additions (who may just desert once hitting US soil).

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 01-13-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
Initial orders would have to be along the lines of getting back to friendly lines while inflicting what damage was possible on the enemy along the way. Given the distances involved and slow pace of movement due to lack of fuel, etc I'd think actually reaching a point where reassignment becomes an issue probably wouldn't happen - evacuation on TF-34 would probably be well under way.
Once embarked, some amount of reorganisation may occur, and the easiest way to keep the PCs together may be a few promotions and possible NPC additions (who may just desert once hitting US soil).
I'm assuming the players 1) want to stay in Europe, and 2) want to stay together
Old 01-13-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLine View Post
I'm assuming the players 1) want to stay in Europe, and 2) want to stay together
I may be wrong but aren't the only US units of note staying behind, which still obey higher command, part of XI Corps? These units are effectively cut off (more by terrain than enemy) and can't withdraw anyway.
Would seem to me that unless the PCs headed in that direction, the risk of their "unit" being broken up and reassigned would be fairly minimal.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 01-14-2019, 03:30 PM
Banned

Also keep in mind that some units stayed behind and didnt leave Europe who made it back to Germany - and that some of the HQ units stayed behind and didnt join the evacuation - they may have done so to try to coordinate possibly getting the XI Corps back to friendly lines eventually

Other alternatives could be that Higher Command is now the DIA giving orders to any units that are still in Europe after the evacuation - say you get a radio working finally but now its too late to make it to the Omega evac - they would have orders for units or groups like that

And there is the other possible alternative - i.e. that you contact the CivGov units in Yugoslavia instead who give you orders to try to get to them to join them there
Old 01-14-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
Also keep in mind that some units stayed behind and didnt leave Europe who made it back to Germany - and that some of the HQ units stayed behind and didnt join the evacuation - they may have done so to try to coordinate possibly getting the XI Corps back to friendly lines eventually
Possible, but highly doubtful. A look in Going Home shows virtually all units staying behind (except the XI Corps) have ceased obeying higher command and essentially gone rogue. Many of these units are attempting to carve out their own little kingdoms and would have absolutely no interest in assisting the XI Corps. In fact it would seem they'd be actively discouraging any movement of the XI Corps that brought them closer together.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 01-15-2019, 07:03 AM
Banned

Not quite as bad as you state Leg - the HQ units that stayed behind specifically said that they had joined the German Army units as had a couple of the units that stayed as well - i.e. they werent going to abandon their German allies no matter what higher command said. Those units may have also stayed to help the XI Corps get at least back to Allied lines in the spring - which wouldnt be that hard considering the Soviet units were basically falling apart.

But you are right that several of the units did go rogue to specifically establish their own power bases - dont have my copy in front of me but I remember units at Fulda and in Austria and another that took over a German nuke plant that come specifically to mind.

Again the question is what about the CivGov units - they are still intact and still functioning and are not part of Omega
Old 01-15-2019, 07:27 AM

Nearest Civgov units are in Serbia (or thereabouts) I believe.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 01-15-2019, 11:15 AM
Banned

You are correct - so it really depends on the location the players are in as to what High Command they might get in touch with - in Poland it could be the commanders of the XI Corps or possibly remaining US command functions either prior to or after Omega

But if you have a campaign where they are in Romania lets say they could be taking orders from the CivGov commanders in Serbia

Course Romania also opens up possibly being ordered to meet a certain sub and support the operation there

Actually getting ordered by the DIA to go to Romania to support Med Cruise would be one way for characters left behind in Europe to get home - and would help even the odds when the Soviets show up as the sub is unloading the arms - would be an interesting way to play the module for those who still have characters in Europe but who dont want to have to recreate new people just to play the Last Sub trilogy - or at least modules 2 and 3

Last edited by Olefin; 01-15-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:52 PM

With the majority of PCs being US soldiers, I think the question of the authenticity of the Civgov command structure comes into serious question. It's well within the realms of possibility Civgov officers and many SNCOs could be viewed by loyal PCs as traitors. Most of the lower ranks however are filled with conscripts so less likely to be viewed negatively.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 01-15-2019, 09:58 PM

Yeah, the idea was for what troops staying behind could expect as missions from higher command
Old 01-22-2019, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLine View Post
One of the classic things that became not so much a 'problem' but more a odd point was what did the GM do when the players got hold of a radio and asked higher command for orders.

My first thought was of a 'straggler collection point'. The PCs are instructed to entrench into a small settlement and stragglers will be directed to them by radio. When they have collected enough the PCs do a 'cannonball run' towards the nearest NATO unit and drop off the collected stragglers. They may also be used possibly for prisoner swaps as an afterthought.
I like these ideas, mostly because I've wanted to try the "settling in" part. It could easily be reversed: the PCs are directed to join a group that's already dug in.

The "usual suspect" for a mission from higher would be to raid supply lines and/or gather intel from the Pact rear areas, with or without aid from the Polish Free Legion or other partisans.

Going after a PW camp would be a great idea!