RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 07-18-2009, 06:58 PM

Default I met a genuine Russian today!

I was out and about and stopped at Target (Department store) and these two guys were outside on a bench speaking a language I didn't recognize. They were still there when I came out so I asked them what language it was. Russkies in Baytown, Texas! Who'd have thunk it! They told me where they were from, I couldn't pronounce it, never heard of it, said it was near the Pacific. They were "tourists" I think they came over to work, and now they were just out sightseeing. Didn't think to much of Baytown, but I don't blame them. South Texas in the middle of summer ain't the place to be.

WOLVERINE! THEY"RE HERE!
Old 07-18-2009, 08:03 PM
The end is nigh!!!

Well.... when I was in Cuba on vacation in April, I met a lot of rich (and hot looking) Russians. They are the new rich tourist of the world.

Last edited by Cdnwolf; 08-23-2009 at 05:48 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:33 AM

In 1990/1991 I was working on a privatisation contract for the British Government in Hastings (a has been seaside resort on the South Coast - Americans think some of those New Jersey type places for atmosphere). Soon after the Wall came down I met a couple of hefty guys who had walked into my local with three good looking girls.

As they wanted to play pool and I had the table we had no option but to chat together. As I was quite keen on the girls and they wanted to practice their English this turned into a bit of a session. They were over for language lessons and one of the guys mentioned they had real difficulty getting visas to come to the UK.

I explained to them that I didn't live in Hastings per se but that I was staying there while I worked and that I actually lived near Stevenage (a town with about 100,000 people 30 miles North of London). When I mentioned this they gave each other big grins and said "We know Stevenage - British Aerospace Guided Weapons, Hawker Siddeley Dynamics Satelite Division, Martin Baker Ejection Seats..."

While they were buying the next round I asked the best looking of the three girls how they knew so much about Stevenage - were they spies? And the answer was that they had been a Major and a Captain in the Soviet strategic rocket forces based near Moscow before being riffed a few months earlier - Stevenage was obviously on a tartget list. They were now in business building dachas.

At the time it slightly took me aback to meet two guys who had their finger on the button to vapourise me a year or so before - but they were nice blokes...
Old 07-19-2009, 04:17 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by weswood View Post
I was out and about and stopped at Target (Department store) and these two guys were outside on a bench speaking a language I didn't recognize. They were still there when I came out so I asked them what language it was. Russkies in Baytown, Texas! Who'd have thunk it! They told me where they were from, I couldn't pronounce it, never heard of it, said it was near the Pacific. They were "tourists" I think they came over to work, and now they were just out sightseeing. Didn't think to much of Baytown, but I don't blame them. South Texas in the middle of summer ain't the place to be.

WOLVERINE! THEY"RE HERE!
Tell them to come up to San Antonio or Houston -- the weather's not any better, but there's a lot more to see.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 07-19-2009, 12:42 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

You met a Russian? Did they have tails and horns and burst into flames upon contact with sunlight?
Old 07-19-2009, 01:04 PM
The Stat Guy

Did they have a lot of vodka and have submachineguns not even available to the Russian military?

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 07-19-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester View Post
You met a Russian? Did they have tails and horns and burst into flames upon contact with sunlight?
Actually they were nice young men sitting in the sunshine drinking hot beer. Yech!
Old 07-19-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weswood View Post
Actually they were nice young men sitting in the sunshine drinking hot beer. Yech!

Sitting in the sun drinking warm beer!

that alone tells you they are minions of the underworld! Beer is meant to be be drunk cold while sitting in the shade. Hmmmmm, and that makes me want to have one...be right back
Old 07-20-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:

that alone tells you they are minions of the underworld! Beer is meant to be be drunk cold while sitting in the shade. Hmmmmm, and that makes me want to have one...be right back
That makes britain the doorstep of hell (no offense). Always thought that the british had something disturbing.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender View Post
That makes britain the doorstep of hell (no offense). Always thought that the british had something disturbing.
Yes, that is definitely one thing about the British that we Australians find disturbing. Beer should indeed be drunk cold. And it needs to be real beer too, not that rats piss that Americans call beer
Old 07-20-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
Yes, that is definitely one thing about the British that we Australians find disturbing. Beer should indeed be drunk cold. And it needs to be real beer too, not that rats piss that Americans call beer
Targ,

I find most of your post to be inflamatoruy...except for your implication of what we are forced to endure that is called beer. Thern again I usuakly drink importedstuff or local brews vice the ovberly sweetened piss water that is sold all over from the major brewers. MMMM makes me long for some of the better smaller breweries... a mnice Rogue ale, or Steamboat or some of the others... this week I will be hitting the locl brew pub and then th lovcal brew pub by my boat for a couple growlers of goos stuff...alas, with me that stuff lasts two three days if I am lucky.....to bad you folks don't ligve closer...then again if you did well lots of beer, mates and gamming tends to upset the girlfreinds/wives so matye it is a good thing we are so dipsersed
Old 07-20-2009, 01:34 AM

Quote:
That is true but that is nice also as it allowed me to have a lot of fun while I was in college. After all these college guys had drink almost a keg of sparkling water, I only had to present them a small glass of alcohol (men alcohol I mean: at least 50°) to get rid of them and remain the last standing guy in the party.

However, the american honor is well defended by the Bostonians (Again!) who are making a very good beer (Samuel Adams) and by a number of pub and breweries that are making some wonderful brand.

Else, as I was born in Belgium, I love very strong beer and my favourite remain the "Rochefort 10" a 12° brown beer. Concerning the blond beer, the Australian Castlemaine remain (IMO) the best (I haven't drink one of these in 15 years) along with the japanese Kirin and the Mamba of Ivory Coast.

Aren't we going away from T2K here?
Old 07-20-2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
However, the american honor is well defended by the Bostonians (Again!) who are making a very good beer (Samuel Adams) and by a number of pub and breweries that are making some wonderful brand.

Else, as I was born in Belgium, I love very strong beer and my favourite remain the "Rochefort 10" a 12° brown beer. Concerning the blond beer, the Australian Castlemaine remain (IMO) the best (I haven't drink one of these in 15 years) along with the japanese Kirin and the Mamba of Ivory Coast.
Okay so maybe I was engaging in some sweeping generalisations. I do like Kirin. I haven't tasted this Samuel Adams brew of which you speak but I shall keep an eye out for it and hopefully if I can find some I will have cause to take back what I said about American "beers".
Old 07-20-2009, 02:01 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Okay so maybe I was engaging in some sweeping generalisations. I do like Kirin. I haven't tasted this Samuel Adams brew of which you speak but I shall keep an eye out for it and hopefully if I can find some I will have cause to take back what I said about American "beers".
I have only drunk beer once (A horrible Korean concoction called Hite) so I cannot express personal knowledge, yet the whole concept of Sam Adams beer intrigues me. The owner of the company, Jim Koch (Sam Adams was an American Patriot and Brewer), seems to have a single minded determination to make the best beer possible. He even went to European glass makers to have them construct a beer glass which keeps the beer cooler and maximizes the effervesce. Even though I am not a fan of the product category, I do respect that this guy really puts maximum effort into his craft.

Last edited by kato13; 07-20-2009 at 02:11 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:18 AM

Before I stopped drinking I had the good fortune to visit the Sam Adams brewhouse in Boston. Lovely bar with great friendly staff (although this was back in '96, so they're probably different staff now). Sam Adams beer is one of the nicest I've ever had, especially their then fall beer, Hazlenut Brown. The normal Boston Beer, their standard brew, is pretty good too. When I was in Boston they used to do a free tour of the brewery starting and finishing at the bar with a few free drinks. By the fifth day they knew myself and my friends by name and were just giving us the free drink tokens without having to go to the tour
Old 07-20-2009, 03:37 AM
The end is nigh!!!

Us Canadians know all about weak US beer. Now I could use a cold Labatts Blue anytime.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:56 AM

This concept of Britains and warm beer I have had many a discussion with European 'online friends' (if there is a such thing ).

Simply, British ALE is not the sparkling pale yellow lager that is best served cold, but a dark heavy brew more suited to our cooler climes. There is a huge variety of types and flavours which are monitored by the Campaign For Real Ale (CAMRA).

Dont knock it till you tried it! We still drink the sparkly pale yellow lager stuff cold (although I avoid it like the plague...strangely unless in a hot country where I find it pleasant!).

My favourite real ales are McEwans No.1 Champion Ale, Theakston's Old Peculiar or Pendle Witch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_ale#Real_ale
Old 07-20-2009, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caradhras View Post
Simply, British ALE is not the sparkling pale yellow lager that is best served cold, but a dark heavy brew more suited to our cooler climes. There is a huge variety of types and flavours which are monitored by the Campaign For Real Ale (CAMRA).
I can't abide lager, and if people didn't insist on calling it beer we wouldn't have this sort of misunderstanding.

Quote:
My favourite real ales are McEwans No.1 Champion Ale, Theakston's Old Peculiar or Pendle Witch.
OP! Mmm, now you're talking.

To get back to the original subject, a friend of mine is Russian. We were discussing yesterday how we should mention her next time we're talking to my wife's grandmother (who is something of a right-winger) to wind her up

Twilight:2000 Resources
Old 07-20-2009, 04:17 AM

I forgot my other beers....I do keep in stock some Aussie ?Stubbies of Coopers, and a nice Czech beer called Nachod both pale and dark. Sometimes it gets warm in the north of England, maybe its global warming...

My preference is red wine but I dont mind the odd beer.

Nice for me to be able to speak on a subject I am well-versed rather than ask all you lot about weapons/vehicles etc etc !!
Old 07-20-2009, 04:22 AM

Quote:
I forgot my other beers....I do keep in stock some Aussie ?Stubbies of Coopers, and a nice Czech beer called Nachod both pale and dark.
Mmm, Coopers.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:07 AM

That should come from jet lag but I find you slow to come in defense of your beers and they are some great ones indeed. For my part, I enjoy the Hobgoblin.

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_ale#Real_ale
Now I understand why there are so many british around my place between july 28th and august 12th (they can't enjoy their beer at home during the 15 days long british summer). Then, I see two weak points about these heavy dark brew:
- If you don't pay enough attention you can confuse them for your meal.
- You get a stomach ache long before you even start to get dizzy.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
To get back to the original subject, a friend of mine is Russian. We were discussing yesterday how we should mention her next time we're talking to my wife's grandmother (who is something of a right-winger) to wind her up
Try to made her up some common ancestry with the Czar.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Then, I see two weak points about these heavy dark brew:
Pfft! It is the meal. To quote Chez Geek: "It's the meal you drink"

Quote:
Try to made her up some common ancestry with the Czar.
She was telling me about how the then-czar tried to woo Elizabeth I. Apparently he sent her some poetry, and when she rebuffed him, he started sending insulting/threatening letters instead. Apparently that's romance, Russian style

Twilight:2000 Resources
Old 07-20-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
about these heavy dark brew:
One of my favorite memories of Greenweek (Ger:Grunwache?)-- a Berlin agricultural show that I attended in Feb. '91-- was of stopping at the Great Britain exhibit. I had a super-moist, perfectly seasoned, roast beef sandwich in one hand and a Guinness in the other. Mighty nice!

Nearly every country in Western Europe was there, advertising their food & drink products. I sampled a lot. At the France booth with Calvados, there was a fellow yelling "I'm buying" in English. Seems he had been a French PW of the Germans in WW2, and most of the English-speakers there were US servicemen from the Berlin Brigade. So, he wanted to reward the GIs.

After that, my memory is pretty fuzzy.

On the subject of Russians, I met some selling their helmets and Guards badges to the tourists near the Brandenburg Gate.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:23 PM

Default Returning to the russians.

I remember when my father come back to Catalunya after a short business trip to the Soviet Union. It was in 1982, the year of the Moscow Olympic Games. He brought back with him a few films in Super 8mm format, some of them shot in places where he was not supposed to film. I only remember the images of soviet soldiers marching at "goose step" in the red square and some images from a museum devoted to the Soviet space race. But taking into account that I was only seven years old and I still remember them, I suppose those images impressed me very much!

The next time I saw a russian soldier was in machinegun nest near a bridge in Pristina. This time, the russian (not soviet) soldier impressed me very much, too. But in a very different way. He seems too much young and, though dressed in his combat fatigues and fully equiped, the uniform seemed enourmos for him. He was standing at the side of the road, surrounded by mud, but wearing trainers instead of boots. I don't know if this is representative of the state of the russian army at that moment, but it was difficult not to feel sad for him.

BTW, amazing anecdote Littlearmies!

Last edited by Marc; 07-22-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:

NO!! Beer, except the psss they peddle in the US under the name of beer, is ment to be drunk at room temperature.. of course the room should be less than 62 degrees F.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:56 PM

Back about about '97 or so, on a slow Sunday at the Zone in Corpus, I had two guys come in to by auto parts. They spoke no English and what they did speak I recognized as 'Eastern European' though I could not speak any. About that time Dimitri, our resident Russian fisherman who was a regular customer, came in... talk about timing.. I sold the two, with Dimitri interpreting, parts for a US built Ford they had back in Odessa.. about $500 worth of stuff... and a few hours later half the crew from their boat, loading about two miles away at the port, were in the store scarfing up all kinds of 'neat' auto related trinkets to take home. They all got Auto Zone caps free too.. LOL.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:51 PM

Ah yes! They were crawling all over Oregon when I got out of the MC. Alot of the men fit in with the Deliverance type locals <to include my uncles> but some of the women.....smokin didn't do them justice!

Then in college the mandatory Spanish course, was taught by Madame Kobzeva, I swear I learned more about her privledged life in Russia growing up and living abroad than we did Spanish. But she was hot too and her younger sister which I took a class with was even hotter. Sadly, I saw her on campus last semester, she is married to another dentist and the years have not been kind ;(

However, before I left the hospital there was a smokin Romanian chica that mmmmmmmmmmm, I gave her my number and sit by the phone waiting for her to call
Old 07-22-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post

The next time I saw a russian soldier was in machinegun nest near a bridge in Pristina. This time, the russian (not soviet) soldier impressed me very much, too. But in a very different way. He seems too much young and, thought dressed in his combat fatigues and fully equiped, the uniform seemed enourmos for him. He was standing at the side of the road, surrounded by mud, but wearing trainers instead of boots. I don't know if this is representative of the state of the russian army at that moment, but it was difficult not to feel sad for him.

BTW, amazing anecdote Littlearmies!
It was certainly representative of the Russian army not that long ago.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:18 AM

I'd certainly second the recommendation for Sam Adams beer (although I'd say it was closer to IPA than lager).

The rough bottom to create effervesence has been around at least twelve years in Europe (I think it was Kronenbourg who introduced into British pint glasses in around 97/98 - you can tell which geek used to work for a beer company 10 years ago). The idea arose because it was found that bubbles formed around minute specks of dirt on the inside of the glass (if you find your beer has "big" bubbles forming on the side of the glass it's an indicator the glass isn't as clean as it should be) and was adapted from that.

My personal faves include Leffe Blonde (perfect to refresh the palate after a tough day's wine tasting) and Deuchars - both Heavy and IPA. Some of those fruit flavoured Belgian beers are fun to get into and try....but creep up on you as they don't taste alcoholic.

I wound up sending one of those Russians food parcels (he had commented how hard it was to find candy for his kids) for a few months - I remember them all being fascinated that I could have a "second home" and not be "rich" or need a licence.