RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-11-2015, 04:04 PM
tsofian tsofian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 340
Default Feeding Prime Base

So Prime Base has somewhere between a few hundred and a few thousand staffers and their families. So was the base prestocked with 30 years or so of food and other expendables or were there regular deliveries of supplies until the balloon went up?

If the former then there will be a HUGE amount of internal storage. In the latter case how will the massive deliveries of supplies be concealed?

This might get back to the question of what the cover for the base is
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-11-2015, 04:47 PM
ArmySGT.'s Avatar
ArmySGT. ArmySGT. is offline
Internet Intellectual
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,412
Default

There is no door except decon on the plateu until the base is open..

That leaves internal store and hydroponics.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-11-2015, 05:37 PM
ArmySGT.'s Avatar
ArmySGT. ArmySGT. is offline
Internet Intellectual
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,412
Default

This is why I argued for a hydroponics setup that was a cylinder all its own with a cannery on the lower level. Those 30 day ration packs were going to be used up fast . Doesn't seem logical to be digging up caches as they are configured in game just for the food. There has to be some other form of resupply. That can only mean Deltas or Regionals for more canned food. That is problematic since that canned food would be a finite resource.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-11-2015, 06:14 PM
ArmySGT.'s Avatar
ArmySGT. ArmySGT. is offline
Internet Intellectual
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,412
Default

Thinking on that... taking advantage of a cylinder.. Build an aquaponics instead of a hydroponics.. with continuous circular flow.

The bonus is all the animal protein from fish, crustaceans, and mollusks.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-11-2015, 06:44 PM
tsofian tsofian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 340
Default

I just reread the module. It appears that the blockhouse entrance inside the barn was intended for use during the entire operational period of the base. Things are a bit ambiguous (go figure) but page 22-23 seem to indicate that the entrance was to be used before the war and the ranch was designed to cover it use.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-11-2015, 07:05 PM
ArmySGT.'s Avatar
ArmySGT. ArmySGT. is offline
Internet Intellectual
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsofian View Post
I just reread the module. It appears that the blockhouse entrance inside the barn was intended for use during the entire operational period of the base. Things are a bit ambiguous (go figure) but page 22-23 seem to indicate that the entrance was to be used before the war and the ranch was designed to cover it use.
Oh damn ....... that would suck.... can't even use a fork lift. Not even a way to bring in freight.

That recurring meme...... Every MP module begins the story with a pick and a shovel.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-12-2015, 02:06 PM
tsofian tsofian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
Oh damn ....... that would suck.... can't even use a fork lift. Not even a way to bring in freight.

That recurring meme...... Every MP module begins the story with a pick and a shovel.
I didn't write the module-I'm just trying to fix it!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-12-2015, 05:42 PM
dragoon500ly dragoon500ly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East Tennessee, USA
Posts: 2,715
Default

So....we have one set of expanded tunnels for supplies/manufacturing, how about a second set of tunnels for food production and storage? I can even see a spider web of tunnels around the bottom levels of Prime for a variety of greenhouses and hydroponic tanks.
__________________
The reason that the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices chaos on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-12-2015, 05:49 PM
tsofian tsofian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 340
Default

Food production is going to be tough. It takes a lot of space, a lot of resources and a lot of personnel to do so. I think the number of cylinders required by the base was really underestimated.

How about this: Originally the base was to be three cylinders as in canon. However during design and early construction it was determined that that just wasn't gonna do the jon so they built two sets of "suburbs". Both have four cylinders, two housing and two food production. This gives a total of 11 cylinders and even I am starting to think this is getting silly!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-12-2015, 06:00 PM
dragoon500ly dragoon500ly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East Tennessee, USA
Posts: 2,715
Default

Truly, more than 7 cylinders is really pushing the limit, I'd feel more comfortable with annex tunnels, even two or three levels of such tunnels.
__________________
The reason that the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices chaos on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-12-2015, 06:16 PM
ArmySGT.'s Avatar
ArmySGT. ArmySGT. is offline
Internet Intellectual
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsofian View Post
Food production is going to be tough. It takes a lot of space, a lot of resources and a lot of personnel to do so. I think the number of cylinders required by the base was really underestimated.

How about this: Originally the base was to be three cylinders as in canon. However during design and early construction it was determined that that just wasn't gonna do the jon so they built two sets of "suburbs". Both have four cylinders, two housing and two food production. This gives a total of 11 cylinders and even I am starting to think this is getting silly!
I think multi story Annex tunnel dedicated to aquaponic with multiple heavy vehicle scale fusion plants. This saves the expense of one large point of purchase and single point of fail.

This is the Morrow Project so their is track mounted robotic gardeners to pollinate, trim, pick, and pack produce into boxes.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-12-2015, 06:18 PM
ArmySGT.'s Avatar
ArmySGT. ArmySGT. is offline
Internet Intellectual
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,412
Default

Don't forget kindergarten, elementary, middle school, and the dreaded high school.

What should the school mascots of a underground base be? The Gnomes, Dwarves, Morloks? The minors can't all be Miners.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-12-2015, 06:20 PM
dragoon500ly dragoon500ly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East Tennessee, USA
Posts: 2,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
I think multi story Annex tunnel dedicated to aquaponic with multiple heavy vehicle scale fusion plants. This saves the expense of one large point of purchase and single point of fail.

This is the Morrow Project so their is track mounted robotic gardeners to pollinate, trim, pick, and pack produce into boxes.
Why do I get this sudden image of the levels of the tunnels being room after room of large, walk-in freeze chambers with labels like "tomatoes-1992" on the door?
__________________
The reason that the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices chaos on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-12-2015, 07:13 PM
mmartin798 mmartin798 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
Why do I get this sudden image of the levels of the tunnels being room after room of large, walk-in freeze chambers with labels like "tomatoes-1992" on the door?
I just keep seeing cavern full of these:

http://www.growtainers.com/
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-12-2015, 10:27 PM
cosmicfish cosmicfish is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 469
Default

I would make a hydroponics annex, but also include several months worth of food stores in the cylinders. Really the cylinders are not really necessary anyway, but you might want to consider why everything is where it is.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.