RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive

Old 01-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Copyright question

TiggerCCW UK 08-06-2004, 03:19 AM I'm considering trying to write a novelisation of the first few twilight modules, primarily for my own enjoyment, as I have no great illusions about my writing skills. Where would I stand with the copyright on this? If anyone is interested I could try and post part of it on the boards once I get started.

ReHerakhte 08-06-2004, 04:04 AM G'Day Tigger,

I don't think you will have too much problem regarding copyright as long as the stuff you write can be shown to be inspired by the T2k stuff. If you were just copying it straight from one of the modules it would be a problem. Fan fiction is one of those things that appears a bit murky in regards to copyright and some organizations are really anal about protecting any possible profit making aspect that may or may not be present but I think with Twilight you are fairly safe.

However, I believe that Mark Miller over at Far Future has the copyright to all the Twilight stuff now so if you had any continuing doubts, you could always send him an email. He generally replies to all his email (although I gather he is pretty damned busy, I think Far Future is basically a one-man operation so that keeps him occupied for a lot of the time).

Cheers,

Kevin

ed 08-06-2004, 08:26 AM tigger:

if you aren't seeking to profit from the twilight brand or distinctive similarities to it, that's entirely up to mark, if he does have the rights. most rights holders don't worry about private fan fiction. rights are only really threatened if you try to get this published w/out his blessing and that's usually where rights holders get a bit attorney-happy.

ed

TR 08-06-2004, 07:06 PM Ed's right, Jason and I did some fan fiction based on the Twilight material but with our own characters and twist on things. As long as profit is not a motive it's no big deal as your not distributing the material for profit, thus depriving the copyright holders of their cut.

TR

TiggerCCW UK 08-09-2004, 04:37 AM Thanks for the advice folks. I'll maybe post some of it when I manage to get going, although my work schedule is a bit hectic at the minute.