RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-13-2009, 08:02 AM
General Pain's Avatar
General Pain General Pain is offline
...not exactly open casket material
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tiger City
Posts: 1,953
Send a message via MSN to General Pain
Default OT - RIP Arne Næss

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arne_N%C3%A6ss
__________________
The Big Book of War - Twilight 2000 Filedump Site
Guns don't kill people,apes with guns do.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-13-2009, 09:22 AM
pmulcahy11b's Avatar
pmulcahy11b pmulcahy11b is offline
The Stat Guy
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 3,903
Default

I have a problem with extreme peace movement such as Gandhi's and many of the "Green Parties" in general. Well, maybe not a problem --they're composed of good, well-intentioned people I'd probably like -- but I think they're generally unrealistic. The human species is basically a great ape with an enlarged brain, and we still have a lot of our primitive instincts, such as territoriality, aggression, extreme competitiveness -- our instincts have yet to catch up with our brainpower in the evolution game.

Robert Heinlein once said that if we do finally make our way out into the stars and become a part of an interstellar community, Earth's greatest export will probably be mercenaries.
__________________
How did the universe get so weird? -- Michio Kaku

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-14-2009, 04:48 AM
headquarters's Avatar
headquarters headquarters is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Norways weather beaten coasts
Posts: 1,825
Default yeah but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
I have a problem with extreme peace movement such as Gandhi's and many of the "Green Parties" in general. Well, maybe not a problem --they're composed of good, well-intentioned people I'd probably like -- but I think they're generally unrealistic. The human species is basically a great ape with an enlarged brain, and we still have a lot of our primitive instincts, such as territoriality, aggression, extreme competitiveness -- our instincts have yet to catch up with our brainpower in the evolution game.

Robert Heinlein once said that if we do finally make our way out into the stars and become a part of an interstellar community, Earth's greatest export will probably be mercenaries.
I guess there are nuances to our destructive behaviour - compassion , selflessness

good sides too..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-10-2009, 12:20 PM
FMDeCorba's Avatar
FMDeCorba FMDeCorba is offline
Field marshal with an itch
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredrikstad
Posts: 190
Default

The human species is basically a great ape with an enlarged brain, and we still have a lot of our primitive instincts, such as territoriality, aggression, extreme competitiveness -- our instincts have yet to catch up with our brainpower in the evolution game.

Yes and no.
Unfortunately, people tend to forget that stuff like compassion and a capacity for moral behaviour also have stood the prolonged test of evolution, and for good reason, since we are social animals and have always relied on cooperation for survival.
__________________
Sincerely,

Fieldmarshal DeCorba

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stegger/sets
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Mohoender's Avatar
Mohoender Mohoender is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Near Cannes, South of France
Posts: 1,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMDeCorba
Yes and no.
Unfortunately, people tend to forget that stuff like compassion and a capacity for moral behaviour also have stood the prolonged test of evolution, and for good reason, since we are social animals and have always relied on cooperation for survival.
True, true. The apes with the smallest brains rely on brutal force to enslave those with compassion thus getting their cooperation while justifying their position through the chanel of a righteous moral behaviour.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-11-2009, 12:47 PM
FMDeCorba's Avatar
FMDeCorba FMDeCorba is offline
Field marshal with an itch
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredrikstad
Posts: 190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender
True, true. The apes with the smallest brains rely on brutal force to enslave those with compassion thus getting their cooperation while justifying their position through the chanel of a righteous moral behaviour.
Ha ha ha! Actually, every single human being is the pinnacle of a long evolutionary chain, stupid and brutal or smart and compassionate. Perhaps the absolutely most successful genes balances brains and brawn? The gem of nature is Joe average
__________________
Sincerely,

Fieldmarshal DeCorba

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stegger/sets
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-11-2009, 02:47 PM
headquarters's Avatar
headquarters headquarters is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Norways weather beaten coasts
Posts: 1,825
Default lol

I knew it ! I am precious !

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMDeCorba
Ha ha ha! Actually, every single human being is the pinnacle of a long evolutionary chain, stupid and brutal or smart and compassionate. Perhaps the absolutely most successful genes balances brains and brawn? The gem of nature is Joe average
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-12-2009, 06:30 AM
FMDeCorba's Avatar
FMDeCorba FMDeCorba is offline
Field marshal with an itch
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredrikstad
Posts: 190
Default

You my friend, is not average. Many things in your life may seem average and quaint, but your intellectual capacity is definitely above average.
__________________
Sincerely,

Fieldmarshal DeCorba

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stegger/sets
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-12-2009, 06:33 AM
headquarters's Avatar
headquarters headquarters is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Norways weather beaten coasts
Posts: 1,825
Default hehe

I know this of course - I was just playing the false modesty card .

I am a genius !..or are I ?


see you tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMDeCorba
You my friend, is not average. Many things in your life may seem average and quaint, but your intellectual capacity is definitely above average.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-12-2009, 06:40 AM
FMDeCorba's Avatar
FMDeCorba FMDeCorba is offline
Field marshal with an itch
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredrikstad
Posts: 190
Default

Or am I being arrogant for claiming to recognize what is above average??
No, I know that, but I doubt we´re true geniuses though
__________________
Sincerely,

Fieldmarshal DeCorba

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stegger/sets
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-12-2009, 06:58 AM
headquarters's Avatar
headquarters headquarters is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Norways weather beaten coasts
Posts: 1,825
Default rest assured

I read somewhere that 75% of the worlds population think they are smarter than the "other 75% " of the people ..

And no , you were quite right to recognize my abilities .

anyways .

how about that Arne Næss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMDeCorba
Or am I being arrogant for claiming to recognize what is above average??
No, I know that, but I doubt we´re true geniuses though
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-12-2009, 07:02 AM
FMDeCorba's Avatar
FMDeCorba FMDeCorba is offline
Field marshal with an itch
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredrikstad
Posts: 190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headquarters
I read somewhere that 75% of the worlds population think they are smarter than the "other 75% " of the people ..

how about that Arne Næss.
Well, Arne Næss was undoubtedly above average, and according to the authors of the controversial "Bell curve" that makes it probable that he was morally a better person too. Just to completely deroute immediately after bringing up ol´Arnie again
__________________
Sincerely,

Fieldmarshal DeCorba

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stegger/sets
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-12-2009, 07:11 AM
FMDeCorba's Avatar
FMDeCorba FMDeCorba is offline
Field marshal with an itch
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredrikstad
Posts: 190
Default

COMPletely OT, but nonetheless:

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...3272%2C00.html
__________________
Sincerely,

Fieldmarshal DeCorba

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stegger/sets
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.