RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 10-23-2008, 03:28 AM

Default Funny things about Chernobyl

I don't really think about making this a true thread but I had this funny info from someone who visited Chernobyl several time as early as 1992.

People are back in the exclusion zone and farmers are rebuilding and cultivating the lands again (pay attention to what you buy). In fact they have been back for some times already.

Wild life is everywhere.

The only zone that remained untouched is the "Forêt Rousse" (Red haired forest) where most of the radiation fall down. There, trees and life forms are really twisted, with roots growing from tree tops...

The stored equipments that were left behind (helicopters for exemple) had been used as spare parts by the Ukrainian government. Therefore, no need of thermic to find an Ukrainian helicopter in the night, a geiger counter will do just fine. That might help in T2K.

When exposed to rads your max exposure is of 2.5 rad a year. When exposed to 25 to 100 rad, you die. Surprisingly, a fireman exposed to 400 is still alive and fine but he remain the sole exception to these days (as no one really feel like joining with him). I'll be thinking about including this in my game, a resilient PC or NPC could be interesting. The measurment has changed and I have trouble finding my way around but I hope you get the general idea.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:25 PM

we had some link's to some chick's site were she had posted a bunch of pic's from her motercycle trips throguh the ariar.

....why i didn't save any of those links i'll never know.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewalker
we had some link's to some chick's site were she had posted a bunch of pic's from her motercycle trips throguh the ariar.

....why i didn't save any of those links i'll never know.
http://www.kiddofspeed.com/

Here you go.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:45 PM

danka
Old 10-24-2008, 12:52 AM

I put up a thread on this in the now dead RPGhost but at that time I didn't have the first hand witness and the first hand info that I had recently. Info that I can trust entirely.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via MSN to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via Yahoo to Nowhere Man 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender
I don't really think about making this a true thread but I had this funny info from someone who visited Chernobyl several time as early as 1992.

People are back in the exclusion zone and farmers are rebuilding and cultivating the lands again (pay attention to what you buy). In fact they have been back for some times already.

Wild life is everywhere.

The only zone that remained untouched is the "Forêt Rousse" (Red haired forest) where most of the radiation fall down. There, trees and life forms are really twisted, with roots growing from tree tops...

The stored equipments that were left behind (helicopters for exemple) had been used as spare parts by the Ukrainian government. Therefore, no need of thermic to find an Ukrainian helicopter in the night, a geiger counter will do just fine. That might help in T2K.

When exposed to rads your max exposure is of 2.5 rad a year. When exposed to 25 to 100 rad, you die. Surprisingly, a fireman exposed to 400 is still alive and fine but he remain the sole exception to these days (as no one really feel like joining with him). I'll be thinking about including this in my game, a resilient PC or NPC could be interesting. The measurment has changed and I have trouble finding my way around but I hope you get the general idea.
400 rads, that reminds me of one episode of the old TV series, "The Bold Ones," where one of the doctors was exposed to 400 rads and it goes through on what they had to do to treat him medically. I remember they had to give him blood transfusions and a bone marrow transplant. BTW, the series was made from 1969 to 1973 and it featured stories from medicine, police, lawyers and a senator. The medical version is really interesting, they go through the current (then) experimental ways of medicine such as artificial hearts and what could be early genetic experimentation to grow things like new heart cells and the like. Back to the radiation episode, the only unrealistic thging was the doctor didn't lose his hair but other than that, it was quite well done and researched.

I should buy some VHS tapes, they never released the shows on VHS or DVD. BTW, here in the U.S., we are going to a digital TV format, one goof thing about it is where one TV station can broadcast a main channel and a couple of "subchannels." Here in Pittsburgh on one of our channels, there is a network that shows old TV shows, sort of like a "poor man's 'TV Land'" (although I think it blows TV Land away), "Retro Televison Network," where I catch old shows like "Airwolf." It is a subchannel to the NBC affiliate here. One good thing, if I'm too poor for cable, at least I have more over the air choices for TV with digital coming in.

Chuck M.

Last edited by Nowhere Man 1966; 10-30-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:29 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Yeah, I have followed her since someone posted her at the yahoo T2K group. And then I followed her other stuff which is what I am interested in too. She explored the bunkers and trenches of WWII in her area and the "Dragons Back" a berm her village built to deal with the mongol invasion she found some earings, arrowheads and other items.

Ah so cool, so cute and on the other side of the world, but alas, she is also so radioactive she would not be hard to find in the dark.....hmmm that isn't a bad thing now that I think of it
Old 10-31-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender
Wow! I had to read this twice. ROOTS growing from tree tops.... reminds of mutation tables in another post apoc rpg
Old 10-31-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhere Man 1966
I should buy some VHS tapes, they never released the shows on VHS or DVD. BTW, here in the U.S., we are going to a digital TV format, one goof thing about it is where one TV station can broadcast a main channel and a couple of "subchannels." Here in Pittsburgh on one of our channels, there is a network that shows old TV shows, sort of like a "poor man's 'TV Land'" (although I think it blows TV Land away), "Retro Televison Network," where I catch old shows like "Airwolf." It is a subchannel to the NBC affiliate here. One good thing, if I'm too poor for cable, at least I have more over the air choices for TV with digital coming in.

Chuck M.
Hey Chuck,

Sounds like a good channel. I always did have a soft spot for retro tv (more so now that I am ageing). Wish they had that here.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via MSN to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via Yahoo to Nowhere Man 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielmeister
Hey Chuck,

Sounds like a good channel. I always did have a soft spot for retro tv (more so now that I am ageing). Wish they had that here.
It is a good channel, I watch it most of the time and it is free over the air in some markets which I'm glad I live in one of them. It's run on a shoestring budget, but I do get to see shows that are not played too much anymore. TV Land is OK, but there is only so much Andy Griffith and I Love Lucy that I can take.

Chuck M.