RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2015, 08:12 PM

Default Badge's Code

In the Badges write up on p.215 4th edition, it lists as one of the skills as Law (Badges Code). What do you think would be included in the most basic rules of this code? There may be regional differences within the world of MP.

Here are some basics rules I thought of:

Badges' Code
  1. The badge holder, aka the Badge, must have at least one accompanying juror who will serve as the jury foreman since so few citizens know the law.
  2. Suspects, criminals and/ or the accused cannot be executed without a guilty verdict by a jury in a trial.
  3. If the community does not have a sitting judge then the Badge can perform the duties of a judge at trial.
  4. The jury consists of (at least) six people. The judge (or the Badge, if no sitting judge is present) interviews and selects the jury for the trial.

I think that the encounter size for Badges should be changed to 1+d6 so that the Badge can have his foreman on the jury so the foreman can assist, influence and/or intimidate the jury toward a verdict.

The closest example of "Badges" in popular culture that I can think of is Marshall Stockburn and his deputies in the movie "Pale Rider". Anybody else have a suggestion to use as an example?

Last edited by RandyT0001; 05-24-2015 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Added the sentence between the list and the question.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:52 PM
Internet Intellectual

I think of two extremes: Judge Dredd or Thugs using the badge to legitimize their "taxation".
Old 05-23-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
I think of two extremes: Judge Dredd or Thugs using the badge to legitimize their "taxation".
Is "Thugs" a reference to a movie or something? Or are you just talking about criminal thugs?
Old 05-24-2015, 06:35 AM

Default As I see it

As I see it, Badges would have evolved over time to their own code of justice. Some would be honorable and doing 'right' by the people/communities they serve. Others would be in it for themselves (robbing, stealing, extortion, etc.). Others would be the 'sick' of any society, they enjoy killing in the name of 'law', torture, etc. The Badges I've run so far have been of the honorable type, serving the region in which they serve working as the judge, jury and executioner (the group the Badges killed were the bad guys) but that doesn't mean that the bad types of Badges will show up.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:09 AM

Always figured more of a Vigilante with a badge and following local laws.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:48 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyT0001 View Post
Is "Thugs" a reference to a movie or something? Or are you just talking about criminal thugs?
criminal types using the Law as a cover.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyT0001 View Post
In the Badges write up on p.215 4th edition, it lists as one of the skills as Law (Badges Code). What do you think would be included in the most basic rules of this code? There may be regional differences within the world of MP.

Here are some basics rules I thought of:

Badges' Code
  1. The badge holder, aka the Badge, must have at least one accompanying juror who will serve as the jury foreman since so few citizens know the law.
  2. Suspects, criminals and/ or the accused cannot be executed without a guilty verdict by a jury in a trial.
  3. If the community does not have a sitting judge then the Badge can perform the duties of a judge at trial.
  4. The jury consists of (at least) six people. The judge (or the Badge, if no sitting judge is present) interviews and selects the jury for the trial.

I think that the encounter size for Badges should be changed to 1+d6 so that the Badge can have his foreman on the jury so the foreman can assist, influence and/or intimidate the jury toward a verdict.

The closest example of "Badges" in popular culture that I can think of is Marshall Stockburn and his deputies in the movie "Pale Rider". Anybody else have a suggestion to use as an example?
Doesn't the "authority" of the "Badges" come from the community accepting them in the first place? If they do not believe they are the law, then they have no power or authority in that community?

An unknown person wanders in to a community and claims to be the law of the land. Would the community have something to say about that?
Old 05-31-2015, 04:00 PM

Yesterday a Lawman stopped at our farm...

He says, "I need to inspect your farm to see if you are breaking any laws."
I said, "Okay, but don't go into that field over there....."

The Lawman verbally exploded saying, "Mister, I have the authority of the LAW with me!" Reaching into his rear pants pocket, the arrogant donkey removed his badge and shoved it in my face. "See this Badge?! This badge means I'm allowed to go wherever I wish... On any land! No questions asked or answers given. Have I made myself clear?! Do you understand?!"

I nodded politely, apologized and went about my chores. A short time later, I heard screaming, looked up, and saw the Lawman running for his life, being chased by my big, old, mean bull... With every step the bull was gaining ground on the man, and it seemed likely that he sure enough would get gored before he reached safety. The Lawman was clearly terrified.

I threw down my tools, ran for the fence, and yelled at the top of my lungs...
"Your badge! Show him your BADGE!!"
Old 06-01-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke11 View Post
Doesn't the "authority" of the "Badges" come from the community accepting them in the first place? If they do not believe they are the law, then they have no power or authority in that community?
Often, authority comes from who has the biggest stick. If it is the community, then fine. If not, then it is the warlord flashing his badge. Bulls may still not agree through.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:18 AM

Default Alot of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin798 View Post
Often, authority comes from who has the biggest stick. If it is the community, then fine. If not, then it is the warlord flashing his badge. Bulls may still not agree through.
Oh lord, this thread now has a lot of bull....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!