RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.T. View Post
I worked together with several born Polish workmates once. "Guten Tag" or "Hello" is something like "chin dobre". Certainly not spelled correct, but it sounds like that.
Yep, that's it. although haven't a clue how you spell it. I think in Czech it's similar but the other way around, i.e. dobre den.

Poles also say "chest" (that is definitely not how you spell it!) which is more informal, like "Hi"

I think dobre equates to "good", so "chin dobre" is "good day". The way the Poles use dobre on its own is probably similar to "alles gut" in German or "c'est bon" in French. I think!
Old 08-24-2010, 08:14 AM

Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six View Post
Yep, that's it. although haven't a clue how you spell it. I think in Czech it's similar but the other way around, i.e. dobre den.

Poles also say "chest" (that is definitely not how you spell it!) which is more informal, like "Hi"

I think dobre equates to "good", so "chin dobre" is "good day". The way the Poles use dobre on its own is probably similar to "alles gut" in German or "c'est bon" in French. I think!
You thinks right rainbow

Djin Dobre literally means day-good or Good Day in English .And G`Day in the other English .The word for day is more varied like Djien in Polish,dan in Serb etc .

Dobre ,Dobro,Dobra etc all have different meaning in the context and the languages used ,but pretty much it means "good " in all slavic languages ,Russian ,Srepski-Hvratski-Bosniacki ,Chzech,Polish etc .
It can also mean "beautiful" -like the Serb sentence "ti si dobre" -you are beautiful ,a useful closing argument

many Slavic languages use the word BOG for God .

Also I have found out that the word Trava means grass in many languages.If you play soccer you will appreciate the need for good grass to get a game going.

Voda pretty much means water all over and Pivo beer.
Nastravije -usually cheers but literally "health" - as in to your health .

So there you have it - now you can ask for a good spot to play soccer,order a beer,propose a toast ,smooth talk the ladies and thank God for your successes later.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:08 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Kind of like the German, "Tchuss!"?

I used to like to confuse my troops when marching them by sounding off "Links, Recht, Links, Recht!" or giving the command, "Achtung!"

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 08-24-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headquarters View Post
So there you have it - now you can ask for a good spot to play soccer,order a beer,propose a toast ,smooth talk the ladies and thank God for your successes later.

Dziekuje, HQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
Kind of like the German, "Tchuss!"?
Yep, exactly the same...

Re: Polish, a bit of googling came up with this...it's obviously meant for tourists, but some phrases might be useful in a T2K context...

http://www.zem.co.uk/polish/basicvoc.htm
Old 08-24-2010, 12:17 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Do you know how many Firefox bookmarks I'm building up?

My first T2K GM had a Polish wife, so he knew how to pronounce all the Polish names plus some basic Polish. You miss things like that.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 12-05-2018, 03:13 PM

Default A Dash of Polish

I am resurrecting this thread as it fits what I have to add.

I am reading Michener's Poland. In one chapter (Mazurka), set in the late 19th century (1897-8), an American (from Chicago) is marrying a Pole, falls in love with Poland and is trying to learn the language. i thought her notes may be instructive:

ALWAYS REMEMBER
POLISH IS EASY

A is pronounced EYE (sometimes)
C is pronounced TZ, TS
Ę is ppronounced EN
J is pronounced Y
Ł is pronounced W
W is pronounced V
Final T is pronounced TH

BRZ is pronounce BZHE
ICZ is pronounced EETCH
RZE is pronounced ZHE
SZCZ is pronounced SHTCH
STRZY is prounced STCHI

Łodz = Woodge
Rzeszow = Zheshoov
Szczorz = Shtchoozh
Pszczyna = Pshtchina
Szczebrzesyn = Shtchebzhehshin
Łancut = Wine-tsooth

After a discussion about how to pronounce Lancut, the girl says "I'm so glad you've proved you love me, Wiktor. Because otherwise I'd think you were trying to drive me crazy."

Przemysl = P'shemish'l (with the P & L either half mumbled or skipped altogther); the Polish lad says the Polish locals get a kick out of the German-speaking Austrian Officers trying to pronounce it.

Przemysl is a large fortress town up the San River from Sandomierz near the (WW1) Russian border. It was the scene of three sieges in WW1.

Other minor things:

Honorifics (equivalent of Mister and Ma'am)
Pan
Pani

Women have an a or wa at the end of their name rather than an 'i'

Pan Bukowski
Pani Bukowska

Hope this gives games set in Poland an ounce more flavor.

Uncle Ted
Old 12-05-2018, 03:58 PM
Banned

If you have any questions about words in Dutch get a hold of LordRoel -he can give you anything you need to add flavor to a campaign in the Netherlands or in the Caribbean in the Netherlands Antilles