RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 03-22-2020, 11:01 PM

Default Water & Dehydration Rules for Twilight 2000 v2.2

Sharing here from one of the Facebook groups, someone took the Twilight:2013 rules for dehydration and tempered them with the food rules from Twilight:2000 v2.2

I checked with the uploader and he was fine with me sharing it here, so I uploaded the PDF to my Google Drive, here's the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mm...T4NshSzAvdvuDl

Seem pretty good to me, and in keeping with the feel of v2.2

~Ty
Old 03-22-2020, 11:33 PM
Registered Registrant

That looks pretty good, thanks for posting it here (I'm not big on social media so I usually miss anything posted on facebook).
Old 03-22-2020, 11:58 PM
Registered Registrant

By way of additional rules for more survival oriented games, the following is a set of rules I made for pain and pain treatment for a Dark Conspiracy campaign some years ago.
Based on 2.2 rules but it's so rules light that I think it would work with earlier editions of T2k with minor changes as necessary but keep in mind these rules were created to increase the levels of stress for Players (worrying about their Characters) and aren't meant to be totally realistic (they were created to integrate into the 2.2 rules with as little disruption as possible.)

I hadn't created any mechanics to deal with medical intervention to help someone recover from a coma so that's not covered, I just left it as a medical check with appropriate difficulty modifiers.
I also hadn't figured any rules for detailing how many extra days a coma would last due to unsuccessful medical intervention.
So yeah, only about 80% developed but at least it gives you a reason to use all those pain relief items in the equipment list!
Take them and tweak them for your own games or ignore them completely but if you have any suggestions/corrections/additions, feel free to comment.

Pain

Pain rules operate in the same manner as the Fatigue rules, for every level of Pain accumulated the Character’s Attributes are reduced by 1 (however the effects are different to the effects of Fatigue).

Pain is accumulated in the following way: -

1. For every Slight Wound acquired, the PC gains 1 Pain Level

2. For every Serious Wound acquired, the PC gains 1 Pain Level

3. For every Critical Wound acquired, the PC gains 2 Pain Levels

Every time a Serious Wound gains enough extra damage to be elevated to a Critical Wound, add one Pain Level.

Note that Pain Levels are cumulative with Fatigue Levels i.e. they are added together to determine the ultimate effects of Pain. For example, if a PC is suffering from 2 Pain Levels and 1 Fatigue Level, add the Pain to the Fatigue to give a total of 3 Pain Levels to decide when a PC is approaching/has reached severe pain or a coma.

When either Constitution or Intelligence reaches half their score (use the higher of the two), the Character is suffering from severe Pain and ALL tasks become one Difficulty Level harder to accomplish.

When either Constitution or Intelligence reaches 0 (use the higher of the two), the Character is immobilized by Pain and can conduct no actions whatsoever.

Pain relief medication must be applied to reduce Pain Levels and a Character may self-administer most types, however if they are immobilized by Pain they cannot self-administer.

If multiple Pain Levels are acquired to the point of any two Attributes reaching 0, the PC lapses into a pain-induced coma which lasts for one day per level of Pain suffered, e.g. if 8 Pain Levels are acquired, the coma lasts for 8 days. Recovery from the coma before this time requires successful medical intervention. Unsuccessful intervention can increase the length of the coma period.

The following methods may be used to try and combat Pain: -

Mild Pain Reliever. Reduces one level of Pain per 4-hour Period. Any extra levels of Pain suffered in this period cannot be relieved by this medication no matter how many more doses are taken.

Moderate Pain Reliever
. Relieves on Pain Level upon application. Multiple applications can be used to combat multiple levels of Pain. Can be addictive if the number of units given in a 24-hour period is greater than the patients’ Constitution score.

Strong Pain Reliever. Relieves all levels suffered for one Period (4-hours) including any new levels of Pain suffered during the Period. Can be addictive if the number of units given in a 24-hour period is greater than half the patients’ Constitution score.

Local Anaesthetic. Reduces one level of Pain for one Period (4-hours), multiple doses can be applied to reduce extra levels of Pain in the same period. However a person can only have doses equal to their Constitution score applied before it no longer provides any benefit.

Total Anaesthetic. Reduces all levels of Pain suffered for one Period (4-hours) including any new levels suffered during that Period. A person can have doses equal to half their Constitution score administered in a 12-hour period before it no longer provides any additional relief i.e. doses greater than half CON in that period will not stop any additional Pain Levels gained but will still treat Pain suffered before the half CON level was reached. Can be addictive if the number of units given in a 24-hour period is greater than half the patients’ Constitution score.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:55 AM

I like those pain rules!
The way they interact with fatigue rules as well, it looks very well thought out!
My players are going to hate me... LOL

Between hunger, dehydration, simple fatigue and pain, it'll make things more interesting, and that much more realistic I think.

Excellent!

~Ty
Old 03-23-2020, 02:11 AM
Registered Registrant

I realize as I re-read them, that I didn't figure out anything for addiction to pain killers and how to stop being addicted to them so that's something else to think about
Old 03-23-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
I realize as I re-read them, that I didn't figure out anything for addiction to pain killers and how to stop being addicted to them so that's something else to think about
The first thing that comes to mind is to treat addiction as a disease. I'm not sure exactly how to structure it, but taking the painkillers is the exposure to the disease, infectiousness would be equivalent to addiction, and it would generate penalties until the PC either makes a certain number of saves or takes the drug again (which would reset the saves). It should have a low (but non-zero) fatality.

The Vespers War - Ninety years before the Twilight War, there was the Vespers War.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:43 PM
Registered Registrant

That's a good start and I wish I had thought of it when I first created the pain rules
Perhaps addiction would make tasks one difficulty level harder if not satisfied?
However I'm not in favour of constantly shifting the Difficulty level because the change in Difficulties is so large at times.

At the time I toyed with the idea of having dice modifiers impact certain rolls. It was a simple addition/subtraction from the result using relatively small modifiers e.g. a person using a power tool they were unfamiliar with suffered a -1 to the result of their Task check. A negative impact but not so heavy as a complete Difficulty shift.
And it also works to the character's advantage sometimes with a positive modifier making the chance to pass a Task check a little bit easier but not so easy as a full Difficulty shift.

As an aside, I'd encourage people to add tags to this thread to make it easier to find in the future. One person can only add two tags per thread so I think we need to add tags such as "water", "food", "pain" and the like.
I've taken the liberty of adding "rules" and "survival" tags but we definitely need others added.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:17 PM

looked like it allowed me to add 5 tags, maybe because I started this particular thread?

either way, I added "food", "water" and "hydration", if I think of a couple of others I'll add them.

~Ty
Old 03-23-2020, 07:31 PM

Feel free to use any of my entries in the "Water Purification" thread in the Thread Map.

My Water Contamination Table is only a "1st draft" though, as I haven't had time to post the modified version which resembles my Food Contamination Chart in the "Storing Food" thread of the Thread Map.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:43 PM

The hydration rules themselves are not mine, I'm just sharing from the Facebook group with consent from the creator.

And from what I can see they are mainly a mix of what's in Twilight:2013 and the food rules in Twilight:2000 v2.2 so it retains the same 'flavor' as the food rules to make things mesh easier I guess.

I must admit I like your water contamination chart for the greater detail, not sure if the author of the hydration rules is in this forum or not but I'll see if I can message him about expanding things, or whether he'd mind me expanding on things using his as a base.

~Ty
Old 03-24-2020, 06:37 AM
The Stat Guy

What's the rule creator's name? He should get his share of kudos...

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 03-24-2020, 09:28 AM

For sure, just realized he's not noted in the PDF as creator.

Here's the Facebook post shared by Rob Lune with the rules he put together from a mash-up of the Twilight:2013 & Twilight:2000 v2.2 rules: https://www.facebook.com/groups/twil...2553128165305/

~Ty

Tags
food, hydration, rules, survival, water