RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 02-12-2015, 06:38 PM
Internet Intellectual

Default Recovery boxes.

Ok..... So many contributors argue that all we talk about is guns, guns, guns; that the Morrow Project is about reconstruction.

So here goes and effort to stimulate discussion along that path.

Small, Medium, and Large prepositioned caches of recovery only items meant for the survivors and surviving rebuilders meant to be used 3-5 years after the total nuclear exchange.

Not one weapon (unless you club someone with it) to be included in the kit. Any discipline or mixed disciplines. This can all be medicines like the contents of an ambulance or triage center; or carpentry tools mixed, with garden tools, and police equipment.

Small would be the same as a team cache two meters squared with the steel door opened with a Morrow Project ID intended to be distributed by a Team.

Medium, a 20 foot connex, this gives enough space at 20 feet long by eight feet wide, by eight feet high; for bobcat skidloaders, small under 80hp agricultural tractors, or small back hoes. This could be a field aid station with multiple GP large tents, generator, and medical supplies. It can also be hundreds of thousands of seeds and soil microbes to restore agriculture in irradiated terrain.

Large. How big should large go? 2 20 foot connex boxes or 1000? A massive mine complex filled with metric tonnes of everything? What is the limitation here? Do the unmanned Delta bases themselves meet every criteria for a large reconstruction cache?

To be clear, I don't care about lists. We have done lists, lists, and lists of lists.

* edited* I would like to hear reasoned arguments and justifications for what goes into a post holocaust reconstruction cache of prepositioned materials and why it is located where it is.

Go!

Last edited by ArmySGT.; 02-13-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:42 PM

Figured on several prepositioned 20 foot Connex boxes buried containing equipment in some area's. Hidden in mine tunnels for others and even equipment parked and stored in warehouses in areas where no strikes were expected. Usually each area would be dedicated to a single team. The mine shaft cache will only contain medical gear for a medical team while another team would have there own dedicated caches. For some though there will be dedicated Boltholes for things, like animals with a certain amount of feed and a larger supply at a hidden cache elsewhere. One easily gotten too!
Old 02-13-2015, 09:16 AM

I often thought the Project planners would go with largish bases with maybe a thousand containers in the 20' and 40' size. The idea being that there should be a number of trucks that can be made operation to supplement what the Project has. A recon team identifies needs in area and a kit is sent there. The obvious components are 20' liquid carriers with water and diesel fuel, 40' ones with emergency rations, seeds and the like. Generator, fusion or conventional, could also be added to the kit as needed. Medical could be 20' or 40', depending on the size of the need. The containers can either be emptied and used for shelter, field hospital or other quick structural need; or sent with leftover supplies or the generator to help jump start the next area.

The whole idea is to allow the Project to be flexible with the supplies they have and to be able to send just enough of one thing to a community rather than too much or too little. That is how I see it working.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:05 PM
Internet Intellectual

I have considered another approach to both Team weapons resupply caches and these considered recovery caches.

Time delay release.

Essentially, all of these caches are stored in the Autonav. The caches are not however, displayed until an elapsed time. So the Team still gets their six resupply caches just not all at once. After a time delay set by the planners (GM tool) cache #1 will appear on the autonav. This could be relatively short for areas determined to have a high probability of hostile contact, such as urban centers. The opposite would be true for a low population density area like rural western Kansas or central Nevada.

Something that is intended for aid to the survivors may be immediate like a cache of medical supplies or available after seven to thirty days to give time to recon and assess the operational areas.

The Combined Group Leader's MP ID would override this feature on any team autonav in that leaders Group.

Too much?
Old 02-16-2015, 04:01 PM

Small cache: several water-quality test kits, several books on useful topics (mostly health guides like "When there is no Doctor"). At least one windup radio

These caches should be plentiful. They would be enclosed in a PVC cylinder. about 1metre long 20 cm wide and in an easily accessible and standard location - for example - "in the parking lot of XYZ grocery, under the concrete trash bins" . This location should be freely given to survivors. No need to keep them secret.
:
Medium caches: Tools for clearing roads and a "radio station in a suitcase" . Also some more advanced books on health and engineering.
This would be a 1 metre cube. buried beneath a billboard

Large cache: Now this will need thought and perhaps a list :-)
Old 02-17-2015, 12:24 PM

You also have to remember that most of the gear could be prepositioned without being hidden. Remember the teams were going to be awoken 3-5 years after a nuclear war not 150 that happened. So it could be thought that construction equipment, raw materials, or trailers full of goods could be left out in the open for some time. Parking Aircraft in the desert for a few years sealed wouldn't even be an issue. But after 150 its all scrap.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:11 AM

A good cover would be cell towers, they need a large hole for the foundation any way. Additional packages for comm or weather/radiation sensor suites could be incorperated.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:49 PM

Personally i tend to run these already. one of my favorite Caches is for a village/team school pack. similar to the UN school in a box kit these are slightly increased to also provide adult education on topics such as medicine, engineering, small engine repair, and certain other trades deemed needed (at the PD's discretion) at boom +5 years.

also the Global village construction kit is a common one for me often with actual constructions supplies on hand given that the local home depot has probably been looted at boom +5 years.
the best course of action when all is against you is to slow down and think critically about the situation. this way you are not blindly rushing into an ambush and your mind is doing something useful rather than getting you killed.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

This site has been a favorite of mine for years

http://procurement.ifrc.org/catalogue/

It is a catalog for Red Cross equipment. I liked it because for many kits it has the shipping weight and volume which are really important for project planning.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:30 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
This site has been a favorite of mine for years

http://procurement.ifrc.org/catalogue/

It is a catalog for Red Cross equipment. I liked it because for many kits it has the shipping weight and volume which are really important for project planning.
Thanks, I bookmarked that one.

This also gives me some ideas for Snakeeater, FEMA, and New Presidencies caches or items.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
Thanks, I bookmarked that one.

This also gives me some ideas for Snakeeater, FEMA, and New Presidencies caches or items.
Here are some links that allow you to see more data at once
Vol 1
https://books.google.com/books?id=yx...me%201&f=false

Vol 2

http://www.redcross.int/en/eric/eric/itemcode2_ad.html

https://books.google.com/books?id=Cm...me%202&f=false

Vol 3
https://books.google.com/books?id=g4...me%203&f=false

While looking for my copies of the pdf (coping from google takes forever) I found like 100 more documents.

For example Wiki leaks has a document that lists all US equipment in Iraq in 2007 broken down by unit and nsn code. (Prices are available for about 1/5 of the NSN codes)

https://wikileaks.org/wiki/US_Milita...raq_%282007%29

Explanation of NSN (Nato Stock? Number)
http://www.wingovernmentcontracts.co...groups-fsg.htm

http://www.wingovernmentcontracts.co...ly-classes.htm

I'm not pleased with the source, but information is information. I downloaded this years ago and never played with it until today. In fact the data is still loading 60 min after I started it.

I don't know how detailed the information goes, but looking at the first portion that loaded I can see the breakdown of the on hand quantity of trousers for the 332 Expeditionary Civil Engineer Squadron Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit.

If I can glean some useful information from this I will post it.

In regards to my many other documents If I get some time to sort through them I will post a lot of what i have.

If varies from a database of all tires used by the US Army, to equipment needed for a sustainable village, ammunition packaging details, breakdown of 30 industrial tool-kits, A catalog of barrack furniture, wellwater drilling manual, the army standard family of tactical shelters, and much more.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:42 AM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
Explanation of NSN (Nato Stock? Number)
National Stock Number. If you go to some websites that sell to the military alot, some of their stock has an NSN. Somebody tested it, and approved it.

Fun fact. Even things your not authorized to wear like mirrored sunglasses, or running shoe style tactical boots have NSNs.

Everything, I mean EVERYTHING, is broken down into easy to use catalogs and any item is referable by NSN.

You have to put the NSN on hand receipts for any item of equipment.

The NSN is different based on any variation such as size or color.

Two pairs of Woodland BDU trousers would have a different NSN if one was medium and the other large.

Kits or BII (Basic Initial Issue) will have one NSN so you can order a whole kit. Items in the kit will each have an individual NSN so just the part you need and only that part out of a kit can be replaced. The item value (What the DoD pays) is listed because individual units can order with unit funds (Thanks Don Rumsfeld) versus the pre-2003 big Army up the chain, wait six months.

https://catalog.data.gov/dataset/nat...number-extract

http://www.armyproperty.com/NSN-List.htm

http://www.dla.mil/smallbusiness/doc...nsn%20info.pdf

Last edited by ArmySGT.; 02-21-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
National Stock Number. If you go to some websites that sell to the military alot, some of their stock has an NSN. Somebody tested it, and approved it.

Fun fact. Even things your not authorized to wear like mirrored sunglasses, or running shoe style tactical boots have NSNs.

Everything, I mean EVERYTHING, is broken down into easy to use catalogs and any item is referable by NSN.

You have to put the NSN on hand receipts for any item of equipment.

The NSN is different based on any variation such as size or color.

Two pairs of Woodland BDU trousers would have a different NSN if one was medium and the other large.

Kits or BII (Basic Initial Issue) will have one NSN so you can order a whole kit. Items in the kit will each have an individual NSN so just the part you need and only that part out of a kit can be replaced. The item value (What the DoD pays) is listed because individual units can order with unit funds (Thanks Don Rumsfeld) versus the pre-2003 big Army up the chain, wait six months.

https://catalog.data.gov/dataset/nat...number-extract

http://www.armyproperty.com/NSN-List.htm

http://www.dla.mil/smallbusiness/doc...nsn%20info.pdf
It used to be "FSN" long ago.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:09 PM

ArmySgt, your request got me to thinking about the MP post war plan. There is very little in the book about it, probably so each PD can tailor it to his own campaign. But there have to be some basics that are common to most plans. The COT is not going to build the MP without some type of action plan. Once a plan is determined then the uses of these larger recovery boxes can be made. So I started a plan. It is a work in progress, mostly outline still.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Post War Morrow Project Rebuilding Plan S1.pdf (110.1 KB, 71 views)
Old 02-22-2015, 08:26 PM

Depending on the time frame; There would be a variable number of trailers. Would they have a tractor under them? An R model MAC or a number of cab over designs from Freightliner, Peterbuilt, and Kenworth were in use throughout the 60's and 70's. The standard trailer length was 20 ft or 40 ft. In the early 80's, the standard length trailers were augmented by 24 ft and 45 ft trailers. In the early 90's, the DOT added the 27 ft "pup" (designed for doubles & triples) the 48 ft and 53 ft trailers to the list. most trucks became "conventional nosed" after length restrictions were lifted in 91.

If you look at modern COG (Continuity of Government) sites, many of these are played out mines (coal, copper, or limestone). I game, you would just drive the trucks down into the mine and seal it shut. There are abandoned mines all over the US.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:08 PM
Internet Intellectual

I was thinking about the recovery plan....... With the anticipated 90% loss of life....... I expect the plan is to evacuate the major population centers and move the survivors out to small rural communities. Those would be far easier to start a local power grid and water treatment than any major city.

So the MP buys some property next to the local water treatment plant at Mcsmalltown, USA..... then caches a Base sized fusion plant and enough cable with stanchion to connect the treatment plant to it..... then caches several tons of the necessary chemicals and manuals too.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:44 AM

that sounds like a solid plan. throw in a number of stored heritage crop seeds, and other agricultural supplies given that your new town will need to be able to produce food soy beans and peanuts would likely be common items in such because they provide the 9 essential amino acids that humans require but cannot produce. i would also include supplies for rapidly constructing shelters and if possible wiring them for electricity.
the best course of action when all is against you is to slow down and think critically about the situation. this way you are not blindly rushing into an ambush and your mind is doing something useful rather than getting you killed.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
that sounds like a solid plan. throw in a number of stored heritage crop seeds, and other agricultural supplies given that your new town will need to be able to produce food soy beans and peanuts would likely be common items in such because they provide the 9 essential amino acids that humans require but cannot produce. i would also include supplies for rapidly constructing shelters and if possible wiring them for electricity.
I put what I call "public caches" under propane storage tanks at every Finmart (Walmart) that was more than 30 miles from an expected nuclear target.

http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=275

The map of them on my gaming site is not working due to google changing codebases on me. But i can provide the long/lat if anyone is interested.