RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 12-20-2008, 07:44 AM

Default Advanced Squad Leader - ASLOK (split from Where are you ?)

(split from Where are you ?) kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyRay73
I'm near Cleveland, Ohio where the weather is awful, the football team is worse, but at least we have a losing baseball team...
But you have ASLOK(I'm a Wargamer)

Last edited by kato13; 12-21-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:34 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthpig
But you have ASLOK(I'm a Wargamer)
ASLOK? I have ASL (played it a lot in the Army).

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 12-21-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
ASLOK? I have ASL (played it a lot in the Army).
OOOHHH YEAH!! I never made it to ASLOK but went to the ASL Open in Chicago last april....play it quite a bit some of my T2K players are my FTF opponents. Mind you I suck at playing(1-5 at the Open) it but have a lot of fun I see you Live in Texas there is a pretty good contigent down thataway probably some players nearby.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

ASL = Advanced Squad Leader?
ASLOK = Advanced Squad Leader Oktoberfest?

Correct?

Figured since I needed to look it up others might as well.

Last edited by kato13; 12-21-2008 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:40 AM

Got it right Kato, sorry 'bout the Hijack, but ASL is another "Passion" PS let me know if you want to check the game out in April they have the ASL open in your hometown(well a little west anyway)
Old 12-21-2008, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthpig
Got it right Kato, sorry 'bout the Hijack, but ASL is another "Passion" PS let me know if you want to check the game out in April they have the ASL open in your hometown(well a little west anyway)
No Problems on the hijack, it only takes me like 90 seconds to do a complicated split, less for simple ones. I will split this thread out as the "Where are you" thread is one of our cornerstone threads. I usually split after 5-6 OT posts in case anyone was wondering.

I'll see what my schedule looks like in April. Remind me as it gets closer.

Last edited by kato13; 12-21-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:26 AM
The Stat Guy

The map boards are also excellent for Last Battle (though you have to use substitute or hand-drawn counters, because Last Battle counters are too big for ASL game boards). We used to draw them on posterboard (every military unit in the US has reams of the stuff) and them wrap them in scotch tape to make them a little tougher. I think I may still have some of them. That is some tiny, exacting work!

Old 12-21-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
The map boards are also excellent for Last Battle (though you have to use substitute or hand-drawn counters, because Last Battle counters are too big for ASL game boards). We used to draw them on posterboard (every military unit in the US has reams of the stuff) and them wrap them in scotch tape to make them a little tougher. I think I may still have some of them. That is some tiny, exacting work!

Try the deluxe boards if you have them.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
WHAT? You did it by hand? That's what the copy machine is for I thought? LOL

Aside, ASL is a good gamer tool. And the kibbitzing I've heard is a bit like role-playing too LOL

Grae
Old 12-22-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graebarde
Aside, ASL is a good gamer tool.
Grae
Agreed, but I kept all my pre-ASL stuff, and dropped ASL soon after it came out. Someday, I can teach my sons basic tactics with that.

There's a bunch of ASL enthusiasts in my game club, but I prefer the higher-level stuff, like OCS.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:33 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graebarde
WHAT? You did it by hand? That's what the copy machine is for I thought? LOL

Aside, ASL is a good gamer tool. And the kibbitzing I've heard is a bit like role-playing too LOL

Grae
Copy machines give you terrible resolution (at the time we were doing it). Artist's pens are better.

Have you ever played wargames from an RPG standpoint? It's a trip! Like in ASL, role-play what you've decided the leader would do, rather than what's logical...

Old 12-23-2008, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Lee
Agreed, but I kept all my pre-ASL stuff, and dropped ASL soon after it came out. Someday, I can teach my sons basic tactics with that.

There's a bunch of ASL enthusiasts in my game club, but I prefer the higher-level stuff, like OCS.
By the way, what is OCS?? Not only because this post, but I'm starting to think that all the americans have an special sympathy towards the acronyms.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:45 AM
Administrator

OCS = Operational Combat Series I think.

I have considered a acronym thread but unless I can figure out a way for distributed management it might be too hard for me to keep it updated.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:39 AM

No problem Kato. I've made my homework, specially when reading the thread "US recovery plan", navigating through all these CONUs, CINCEUR, CINCLANT, CINCCENT, CINCPAC, CINCUSFK, AOR, EURCOM’s, MEF, CINCNAVCENT,TAACOM, ELF, JCS, TDM, FEMA, XO... But the material posted deserves the effort.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
No problem Kato. I've made my homework, specially when reading the thread "US recovery plan", navigating through all these CONUs, CINCEUR, CINCLANT, CINCCENT, CINCPAC, CINCUSFK, AOR, EURCOM’s, MEF, CINCNAVCENT,TAACOM, ELF, JCS, TDM, FEMA, XO... But the material posted deserves the effort.
Yeah we love acronyms. "Alphabet Soup" is a good way to describe a lot of government documents.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:37 AM

OCS is the Operational Combat Series, from GMT (no, I don't know what it stands for), or is it The Gamers? Counters are divisions, or regiment/brigade/battalions, the maps are 5km hexes, and the turns are 3 days. Various games in the series cover separate campaigns in WW2, like the battles in and around Stalingrad, Sicily, Burma, and so on. There is one for the Korean War, too.
I'm much more of a fan of the older Europa series, from Game Designer's Workshop (GDW, you might have heard of them?), now from Game Research/Design and Historical Military Simulations, or HMS/GRD. Those games can be linked to re-create all of the European half of WW2.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:15 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13
Yeah we love acronyms. "Alphabet Soup" is a good way to describe a lot of government documents.
I've always had a suspicion that acronyms are around so that normal folk have no idea of what you're talking about. I also have a suspicion that a lot of the officials using the acronyms have no idea what they mean either!

Old 12-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
I try to put it written out the first time I use it, except for ones that are more common around here (like TDM, FEMA and XO). I'll have a glossary and abbreviation list in the Survivor's Guide to the US.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...
Old 12-23-2008, 12:10 PM

Yeah..
The Gamers stuff is good and solid..rules are a bit crunchy..but if you can find Force Eagle's War, then you could have something that would all you to do some battalion-brigade fights with modern equipment. (I like it better than the Assault series GDW put out).

Another honorable mention is Lock n' Load's "Next War" Series. It's fictionalized, but it plays right and is dirt simple, and the same scale as Assault. All you have to do is redo the maps to fit actual terrain and you're set. They've already done Germans, and Brits are about to be released for the system.

As for ASL... Power to those that play it...but those rules are written such that one might need their PhD in Wargaming. It's why I play miniatures instead.

"Red Star, Burning Streets" by Cavalier Books, 2020

https://epochxp.tumblr.com/ - EpochXperience - Contributing Blogger since October 2020. (A Division of SJR Consulting).
Old 12-23-2008, 02:24 PM

I think that the first wargame (in the full sense of the term) was Omaha Beachhead, of Avalon's Hill. An hex-map game designed at the battalion level. My second experience was with Command Decision and, tough I think it's a great game, by the time we played it I thought that it needed too much previous work. Funny think, in the present day I can spend months doing research and writing a new campaign. About Command Decision, a quarterly magazine was published titled "Command Post". All the fanatics of the ORBAT's (my first mysterious acronym discovered in this forum) will find detailed lists of armies from WWI to the present day.

A little OT: Now it can sound strange, but in 1992 (when I purchased Command Decision) only a couple of stores exists in Barcelona specifically covering the world of roleplaying games and wargames. And the material was mostly published in English. Of course,thanks to internet I had access to great materials that were never published in Spain. Then I realized about the large extension that this world had reached long before the 90's in the US. Now I have gigabytes of material obtained by...shhhhhhtttt... those magical methods... thanks to people that wished to share information that I should never be able to get.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:30 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Weiser
As for ASL... Power to those that play it...but those rules are written such that one might need their PhD in Wargaming. It's why I play miniatures instead.
I found ASL to be somewhat like chess -- the rules are not conceptually difficult, it's winning where you need your Wargame PhD!

Old 12-24-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I found ASL to be somewhat like chess -- the rules are not conceptually difficult, it's winning where you need your Wargame PhD!
I'd go the other way. The last few times I've played, I sat down with guys who do know the rules. I just play basic infantry tactics, and let him sort it out.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Conceptually...no. It the special cases and everything in mathmatical notation that kinda threw me! For example, does < mean less than or greater than? And the LOS rules made my eyes bleed. I'll stick to miniatures thanks...and just use laser pointers and periscopes to check LOS.

"Red Star, Burning Streets" by Cavalier Books, 2020

https://epochxp.tumblr.com/ - EpochXperience - Contributing Blogger since October 2020. (A Division of SJR Consulting).
Old 12-25-2008, 07:12 AM
bigehauser

Quote:
I've always had a suspicion that acronyms are around so that normal folk have no idea of what you're talking about. I also have a suspicion that a lot of the officials using the acronyms have no idea what they mean either!
An older, saltier Army buddy/reenactor buddy of mine(actually retired and border patrol agent now, matter of fact) and I believe that the Department of Defense (DOD ) create the acronym first, based solely on coolness factor...then figure out how the hell they are going to tie it into the equipment's type and use by combing the dictionary and thesaurus later.

HAWK, MILES, MOPP, FLASH just to name a few that I can recall.

-Hauser
Old 12-25-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Weiser
I prefer computer wargames (like the Steel Panther series) since (1) I don't need to find a human opponent and (2) you don't have to worry setting up or putting away the map and tokens.

http://copeab.tripod.com
Old 12-31-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab
I prefer computer wargames (like the Steel Panther series) since (1) I don't need to find a human opponent and (2) you don't have to worry setting up or putting away the map and tokens.
They have a digitalized version called VASL(Virtual Advanced Squad Leader) using the VASSAL(don't know all the letters for that one) engine. I can play via skype with people around the world. You still need the rules and scenarios but every thing else is pretty much in the program
Old 12-31-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab
Loved the Steel series, having all three. Sadly they were DOS, and I haven't got the computer expertise to figure out how to play them on the others, even when I got a DOS to load. Need to get an old machine to just play them on. Grae
Old 12-31-2008, 05:34 PM

Steel panthers 2 updated for Free and works with Windows....

Edit: better linkage....

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Wo.../MBT_page.html

Direct link to download...

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Demos/FV_MBT.html

Last edited by Haven; 12-31-2008 at 05:40 PM.