RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Differences in V1, V2, V2.2

Moonbiter 08-31-2005, 02:34 PM Hello, I recently dusted off my old box of Twilight 2000 and went digging on the net to find new information about the game. I have lots of the V1 material and I have the V2 rev1 sourcebook. I never did play the V2 rules so I'm most familiar with V1. Now with my questions:

1. Is there just a conversion booklet you can get to update your version 2 rev1 to 2.2?

2. Do most people prefer V1 or V2.2? If so, what is the biggest difference between the two?

3. Is there any type of conversion charts to change V1 material (firearms, vehicles) to 2.2?

Thanks for your replies. Once I get everything sorted out and figure out if I'm going to go V1 or goto V2.2, I'm going to try and get a campaign started in my area. I can't wait to start playing this game again.

DamianR 09-01-2005, 04:47 AM I prefered V2.2 myself, best compromise between the over detailed % based system in V1, and the quick & dirty D10 system in V2.0

There was an update booklet to make V2.0 into a D20 system which would be best called V2.1. V2.2 fixed up a few problems, like just how super the PC's were compared to the NPC's.

I think the vehicle rules in V2.0 onwards are better, V1 was much more clunky IMnsHO, and the extra skills breakdown in V2.2 make it better than basic V2.0 or 2.1.

I felt that character generation in V2 onwards is certainly improved over V1, with 2.2 being just about perfect.

ReHerakhte 09-01-2005, 04:54 AM G'Day from one of the Aussies here and welcome to the boards.

To answer your questions somewhat...

1. As far as I know there was never a conversion booklet produced (unless of course someone did one as a private effort).

2. I prefer Ver2.2 and I think most people who have had access to 2.2 prefer it as well. The biggest difference between Ver2.1 and Ver2.2 is the change from a D10 to a D20 system and the combining of your Skill and Attribute to give you an Asset that most tests are made against. The general rules ideas remain the same but the task difficulty levels have five levels instead of three, giving you a greater discrimination between levels of difficulty so you have Easy (4x Asset), Average (2x Asset), Difficult (1x Asset), Formidable (1/2 of Asset) and Impossible (1/4 of Asset).

Other changes include double damage for combat if you score an Outstanding Success, the ability to conduct unskilled Skill checks and more detail on the vehicle cards (with such info as their resistance to rads and listing amphibious speeds if they have any amphib capacity)

3. As for converting gear over from Ver2.1 to Ver2.2, much of it actually remains the same, I think the biggest difference is in movement and vehicles where the stats have been modified to take the 2.1 grid of 8 metres up to the 2.2 grid of 10 metres.

I haven't used the 2.1 rules for about 10 years so my memory of specific points is a little cloudy. However, if you are looking for ver2.2, you can buy it as a .pdf download from DriveThruRPG at the folowing site: -

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/catalog/...hp?cPath=21_23

It's currently retailing for US$15 and from the looks of things, they have pretty much all the stuff released for Version 1, 2.1 and 2.2

Hope that helps you but feel free to ask any other questions!

Cheers,

Kevin

ReHerakhte 09-01-2005, 05:03 AM Hmmm....seems I was beaten to the post by one of the other Aussies here!

I didn't know about the update booklet, anyone have one? I'm kinda interested in seeing what it was like because I am obsessive about collecting all that I can for a game system even if I never use it!

Damien's post reminded me of something that I forgot about... there was an attempt to create a D20 version before Twilight Ver2.2 and that was done via GDW's Dark Conspiracy game. It was "okay" but not something I wanted to use. It involved doubling the PC's Attribute stats and also doubling weapon recoil, so that they could use the D20.

Cheers,

Kevin

DamianR 09-01-2005, 05:21 AM He he...

The booklet was part of the GM screen IIRC.

Moonbiter 09-01-2005, 06:32 AM Thanks for the replies. I think I might get that pdf and a few of the other v2.2 pdf's (US vehicle, Soviet vehicle, small arms, heavy weapons) and give it a go. I always found V1 lacking a bit in realism (each shot as 3 bullets) but a little cumbersome in other (vehicle hit locations). I liked the character generation of v2 as you has WAY more choices to round out you character, but I never was able to find any of the other supplements like the small arms guide and the vehicle guides so I never played it.

After digging around on these forums a bit, I see some people REALLY get into this game with updating with where troops are and the equipment. All I can say is WOW. You can really dig up a lot of good information here and lots of fan updates even though the game basicly doesn't exist on the shelves anymore at game shops.

To all those that keep feeding updated troop and equipment information, and those that share their house rules, I tip my hat to you. Keep up the great work, and I hope that maybe I can contribute something someday myself.

abaumgartg 09-01-2005, 08:58 AM I agree that v2.2 is better overall. I do miss the character generation from v1.0.

TiggerCCW UK 09-01-2005, 11:36 AM Welcome to the boards! As Kevin says there was a D20 type conversion in Dark Conspiracy. The last campaign I used I tried running it, but to be honest it was a bit naff. I'm currently setting up to run a V2.2 campaign for the first time, and so far it looks like a much better proposition than the DC version.

ReHerakhte 09-02-2005, 02:31 AM He he...

The booklet was part of the GM screen IIRC.

Ahh yes, I do recall that now, I own the Referee's Screen but haven't used the booklet section of it from the time I got V2.2 of the Big Yellow Book. It's still sitting on a bookshelf along with the Dark Conspiracy PC Booster Kit (that contained the other attempt at a GDW D20 system). All of which means my references to Version 2.1 should really be Version 2.0 in the posts above.

Hey Damien, not that I am pushing or anything but have you had any luck securing a new server for your old Twilight site?

Cheers,

Kevin

DamianR 09-04-2005, 12:57 AM Heh, I've got server space on my new homepage, but I can't seem to find the time (or motivation) to rip all the geocities junk out of the html, and repost it...

It also needs a fair bit of extra work to bring it back up to speed. :nurse:

And I'm too busy playing Flames of War of late!

pmulcahy 09-04-2005, 03:09 PM Heh, I've got server space on my new homepage, but I can't seem to find the time (or motivation) to rip all the geocities junk out of the html, and repost it...

Don't bother trying to remove the crap Geocities adds in; they'll just put it back again. One of the reasons I don't use Geocities anymore...

DamianR 09-05-2005, 12:46 AM Naw, I've got my web page (http://members.optusnet.com.au/~max_...an/Dindex.html) I just want to rip out the geo specific code. and I'm far too lazy.

Last edited by kato13; 02-08-2010 at 01:48 AM.