RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-19-2009, 04:31 PM
natehale1971's Avatar
natehale1971 natehale1971 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Monroe, NC, USA
Posts: 1,199
Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971
Default Alternate version of New America...

Hi there everyone,

Has anyone else changed New America in their campaigns from a bunch of right-wing redneck racist christo-facsit wackos? espeically since every attempt at creating these far 'right-wing' fringe racist groups to work together has aways failed (even when they are all Neo-Nazis whom only differ in their charismatic leadership).

I have changed them from this model, to a grassroots group based similarly off ACORN... They are a much more Populist group than being either 'Right-wing' or 'Left-wing'... but having embraced alot of the charismatic leadership styles used by the socialist/facist/communist tyrannies in the past....

has anyone else done this?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-19-2009, 04:42 PM
kato13's Avatar
kato13 kato13 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, Il USA
Posts: 3,352
Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default

I removed the overt racism to make them a little less clear of an enemy. I put them halfway from how they are presented and the what I consider to be the feelings of the average southerner. They are very anti-Mexican though due to the invasion.

I make it more like a very well organized cult. With a very charismatic leaders who manipulate a scared and hungry populace.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-19-2009, 05:28 PM
natehale1971's Avatar
natehale1971 natehale1971 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Monroe, NC, USA
Posts: 1,199
Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971
Default

When i can find my notes, i'll post them. showing just how "new america' was... originally based upon the ideals of the United States Progressive Party, and their leadership that i had written up (just like i have for Cummings)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Targan's Avatar
Targan Targan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 3,501
Default

I have left New America in my campaign exactly as it was written in the modules. I find the racism of New America has helped in my campaign because it has left one of my main PCs, Major Anthony Po, somewhat conflicted - he agrees with much of New America's policies but he is a Chinese American. Po thinks of himself as part of America's neo-aristocracy already (before the war is was one of the top 100 most wealthy people in the USA) and is highly offended that New America would not consider him to be one of their 'Natural Aristocrats' because of his ethnicity.
__________________
"It is better to be feared than loved" - Nicolo Machiavelli
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-20-2009, 01:09 AM
headquarters's Avatar
headquarters headquarters is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Norways weather beaten coasts
Posts: 1,825
Default Ndp

I have twisted the faction into a similar entity with different wrapping -the New Dawn Party .

Its a utilatarian (?) ,totalitarian militant organization with a" you are a member or an enemy policy".

Its got cells and enforcers etc but it also operates overtly and at one time actually held power ..
yep- we are canon nonconformist heathen norse swine up here ,mixing good and righteous material with our own dark traditions.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-20-2009, 01:22 AM
General Pain's Avatar
General Pain General Pain is offline
...not exactly open casket material
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tiger City
Posts: 1,953
Send a message via MSN to General Pain
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by headquarters
I have twisted the faction into a similar entity with different wrapping -the New Dawn Party .

Its a utilatarian (?) ,totalitarian militant organization with a" you are a member or an enemy policy".

Its got cells and enforcers etc but it also operates overtly and at one time actually held power ..
yep- we are canon nonconformist heathen norse swine up here ,mixing good and righteous material with our own dark traditions.
The good General (my character) had a wonderful and just faction going on in your campaign....It was filled with food / work / television for the masses.....the good old days.....I'll get it back you know.....I just have to estinguish some candles in the process he he
__________________
The Big Book of War - Twilight 2000 Filedump Site
Guns don't kill people,apes with guns do.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-20-2009, 02:27 AM
kato13's Avatar
kato13 kato13 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, Il USA
Posts: 3,352
Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan
I have left New America in my campaign exactly as it was written in the modules. I find the racism of New America has helped in my campaign because it has left one of my main PCs, Major Anthony Po, somewhat conflicted - he agrees with much of New America's policies but he is a Chinese American. Po thinks of himself as part of America's neo-aristocracy already (before the war is was one of the top 100 most wealthy people in the USA) and is highly offended that New America would not consider him to be one of their 'Natural Aristocrats' because of his ethnicity.
That is a perfect conflict. Have they had any direct contact yet?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-20-2009, 02:41 AM
Targan's Avatar
Targan Targan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 3,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13
That is a perfect conflict. Have they had any direct contact yet?
Kind of. Po's group wiped out a CIA cell and its hired guns operating in New Jersey and during that six or seven week conflict it emerged that the leader of the CIA group and at least some of his underlings were New America members or sympathisers.
Other than that there was only the scanty information on New America in intel briefings that Po received from MilGov HQ in Norfolk when he returned from Europe.
__________________
"It is better to be feared than loved" - Nicolo Machiavelli
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-20-2009, 03:17 AM
Rainbow Six's Avatar
Rainbow Six Rainbow Six is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 1,385
Default

To be honest, as a Brit living in the UK I never quite "got" the whole concept of New Anerica when it was first introduced in what was it, late 80's? In those pre internet (and pre foreign travel) days the US in general was a whole different World that I only knew from TV shows, and I had a hard time getting my head round the idea that such an organisation could exist. So i tended to ignore them.

These days I guess I'm more worldy wise, but as my T2K attention isn't focused on the US, I've continued to disregard New America completely.
__________________
A collection of articles written for the Twilight 2000 Role Playing Game

http://www.twilight2000files.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Adam F Adam F is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2
Default

I personally think New America kinda worked in the eighties (with the comedy buffoonish eeevilness of them tuned down considerably), but aren't plausible as such a widespread and organised faction in a more present day or near future setting.

I'm actually giving the name to a more localised Floridan based Scientologist faction in my present campaign. The Scientologists fill the bill nicely as a wacked-out loony faction that is already armed and potentially rather dangerous in a post-apoc future.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-22-2009, 04:38 PM
weswood weswood is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baytown Tx
Posts: 550
Default

What makes me wonder is that from what I remember of the 80's when the game was written, racism was on the decline. I can remember race riots in a couple schools in Georgia and Louisiana that I went to in the late 70's, but I can't remember any real problems in the 80's. And it seems that unfortuneatley that it's on the rise again, at least to a right wing conservative southern redneck

And no, I don't believe in the whole New America concept. If I ever use them, they'll be left wing comunist radicals!
__________________
Just because I'm on the side of angels doesn't mean I am one.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-16-2010, 09:54 AM
sglancy12's Avatar
sglancy12 sglancy12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natehale1971 View Post
Has anyone else changed New America in their campaigns from a bunch of right-wing redneck racist christo-facsit wackos? espeically since every attempt at creating these far 'right-wing' fringe racist groups to work together has aways failed (even when they are all Neo-Nazis whom only differ in their charismatic leadership).

Pardon me while I attempt to resurrect this thread. Elsewhere in the forum some ideas were being kicked around regarding New America's methods and goals, and it got me thinking about how hard it would be to sell Carl Hughes "Natural Aristocracy" to the average American.

And again, it's going to be extremely difficult for most of these right-wing groups to work together. Hell, even left-wing groups constantly split over issues of nit-picky dogma and clashes over leadership (disguised as clashes over dogma) all the time. But New America is the right-wing threat to America, not the left-wing threat. The Soviets have that covered (mostly).

So back to New America. I think that for New America to grow to be a major threat to MilGov and CivGov that it needs to be more like an infiltrating conspiracy and more like a mystery cult.

As an infiltrating conspiracy New America has sent out agents during the 1980s and early 1990s to joined many of the groups that New America wants to bring under its control. This includes anything from populist anti-federal and anti-tax groups, groups that advocate the use of violence to promote a white nationalist agenda, and even groups that have moved into outright criminal activity: assassinations, bank robberies, bombings, etc.. Of course, I think NA would mostly steer clear of the groups that are actually engaging in criminal activity (like the Order) because they want to avoid the scrutiny of the FBI, ATF and other law enforcement agencies.

New America wouldn't have to bring all these groups under the NA banner before the war, but the NA agents in these diverse groups are the guys who bring in much needed resources: cash, high tech equipment and even illegal weapons. Once the bombs fall and resources run thin, it's the NA members of these groups who have all the answers. They know where the NA supply caches are. They might even arrange for a NA supply drop. They have contact with higher headquarters who can provide intelligence about everything from the movement of marauders and refugees to weather patterns and even medical advice. They might even be able to call on reinforcements from other NA cells or right wing groups controlled by NA cells. The NA agents rise through the ranks of their adopted organization until they have enough influence to sell the Michigan Militia (for example) on adopting the banner of New America. This last stage would be the most difficult and might never be accomplished, leaving a splinter group like The Order or Posse Comitatus remain merely "New America-influenced" rather than out-right controlled.

One wonders if there is a big map in NA's Country Home HQ color coded to show which groups have declared openly for NA, which groups are controlled by NA agents but remain independent, which have been infiltrated but remain independent, and even groups targeted for infiltration. That could certainly include MilGov and CivGov garrisons.

As a mystery cult, New America's agenda and goals are hidden not only from the general public, but also from the rank and file membership. In this way they resemble Scientology. If you presented the "final revelations" of Scientology to the average follower of Scientology and Dianetics on day 1 (i.e. the whole Xenu-atomic bomb-volcano-soul thing) they would walk away from a clearly ridiculous belief system. However, if New America starts out disguising it's agenda so that none of the members get the full picture until they are fully committed to the movement, then they can get more people in the front door. Once the new members are fully committed to New America, the full agenda is revealed. Now it's too late to back out, or maybe the new member has come to accept the groupthink, like any cult.

New America could also tailor its public agenda to fit the needs of the regional cells. In the Bible Belt, they could sell themselves as a movement to rebuild America as a Christian Nation. In the southwest they could present themselves as a resistance movement fighting the invasion by the Mexican Army (and advocating the expulsion of all "Mexicans" from America). The New America doctrine of Natural Aristocracy could be presented more like Ayn Rand's Objectivism, where only those who contribute are worthy of citizenship. Later, the racial component is introduced, by which time the new member is already committed or has even decided not to care because it's not his or her ox that's being gored.

It would be interesting if the players traveled across the country and encountered different groups that advocate wildly different agendas, but all of which claim to be New America. In an age without mass communications, the variations in public agenda might be overlooked. Without the ability to compare what the cell in Arizona is saying, to what the cell in Idaho is saying to what the cell in Georgia is saying, it's going to be hard for the average person to realize that New America is changing its message to tell people what they want to hear.

Through these two methods, New America can be even more of a threat to life and liberty in North America, without straining the players' credulity.

A. Scott Glancy, President TCCorp, dba Pagan Publishing
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-16-2010, 10:33 AM
kato13's Avatar
kato13 kato13 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, Il USA
Posts: 3,352
Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglancy12 View Post
Pardon me while I attempt to resurrect this thread.
Thread necromancy is encouraged.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-16-2010, 11:38 AM
waiting4something's Avatar
waiting4something waiting4something is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: midwest, U.S.A.
Posts: 316
Default

I think it would be cool just to have a secret organization of bad ass Americans that have been training and preparing for hard times whether it be from a foreign or domestic enemy. They don't have to be bible thumpers or racist people, just people that see American government as a broken down machine that is only gonna get worse. I thought the New Americans were the cooler of the 3 groups. When everyone in the USA was living in a dream land these guys were building and preparing for survival. I don't think they could be is large scale as they were in the book and kept secret, but that's just me. The book also made them out to be substandard fighters, which I found weird since they were the only ones with war on there minds the whole time since the 1970's.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-16-2010, 11:42 PM
sglancy12's Avatar
sglancy12 sglancy12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4something View Post
I think it would be cool just to have a secret organization of bad ass Americans that have been training and preparing for hard times whether it be from a foreign or domestic enemy.
I think they called that The Morrow Project. If you are not familiar with it I suggest you check out that post-apocalyptic setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4something View Post
They don't have to be bible thumpers or racist people, just people that see American government as a broken down machine that is only gonna get worse.
That's pretty much the people New America wants to recruit, even if those people wouldn't want to be part of New America if they understood it's agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4something View Post
When everyone in the USA was living in a dream land these guys were building and preparing for survival. I don't think they could be is large scale as they were in the book and kept secret, but that's just me. The book also made them out to be substandard fighters, which I found weird since they were the only ones with war on there minds the whole time since the 1970's.
Well, I certainly agree that the size of the organization beggars the imagination. Unless the FBI and ATF all took a collective vacation, it requires a great deal of suspension of disbelief to imagine that an organization with the money and manpower of New America could exist.

I think the reason that New America's troops are made out to be substandard (or at least sub-standard to US troops who've just spent three years fighting the Red Army), is that most New America recruits were envisioned to be arm-chair warriors. The kind of guys who read Soldier of Fortune and Guns & Ammo, but who've never been willing to give up their time to actually serve their country. Posers, in other words.

I don't fully agree with that idea since there's no reason to expect that extremists ripe for recruitment by New America couldn't also be veterans of the US military. Timothy McVeigh for instance. The authors of the original TW2K seemed to believe that the culture of the military would weed guys like that out. Personally, I think the military culture just encourages guys like that to keep their mouths shut so they are harder to identify.

Certainly there's no reason why some NA cells couldn't be as deadly as the Holonists as they were portrayed in David Brin's novel The Postman. In the novel, the average Holonist was worth something like 10 militia men from any other group. After all, just because they have an evil ideology doesn't mean they can't be courageous and talented warriors. Just look at the Waffen SS or the Taliban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4something View Post
I thought the New Americans were the cooler of the 3 groups.
I'm not sure how to say this without it coming off as a cheap shot, but I'd really like to hear your reasoning behind this conclusion.


A. Scott Glancy, President TCCorp, dba Pagan Publishing
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-17-2010, 05:22 AM
waiting4something's Avatar
waiting4something waiting4something is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: midwest, U.S.A.
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglancy12 View Post
I think they called that The Morrow Project. If you are not familiar with it I suggest you check out that post-apocalyptic setting.



That's pretty much the people New America wants to recruit, even if those people wouldn't want to be part of New America if they understood it's agenda.



Well, I certainly agree that the size of the organization beggars the imagination. Unless the FBI and ATF all took a collective vacation, it requires a great deal of suspension of disbelief to imagine that an organization with the money and manpower of New America could exist.

I think the reason that New America's troops are made out to be substandard (or at least sub-standard to US troops who've just spent three years fighting the Red Army), is that most New America recruits were envisioned to be arm-chair warriors. The kind of guys who read Soldier of Fortune and Guns & Ammo, but who've never been willing to give up their time to actually serve their country. Posers, in other words.

I don't fully agree with that idea since there's no reason to expect that extremists ripe for recruitment by New America couldn't also be veterans of the US military. Timothy McVeigh for instance. The authors of the original TW2K seemed to believe that the culture of the military would weed guys like that out. Personally, I think the military culture just encourages guys like that to keep their mouths shut so they are harder to identify.

Certainly there's no reason why some NA cells couldn't be as deadly as the Holonists as they were portrayed in David Brin's novel The Postman. In the novel, the average Holonist was worth something like 10 militia men from any other group. After all, just because they have an evil ideology doesn't mean they can't be courageous and talented warriors. Just look at the Waffen SS or the Taliban.



I'm not sure how to say this without it coming off as a cheap shot, but I'd really like to hear your reasoning behind this conclusion.


A. Scott Glancy, President TCCorp, dba Pagan Publishing
I was counting on someone to have issues with me saying that. Well, think about it New America grew up on it's own. No government funding, no pay check for joining, no reason for being there accept you wanna be. That's what I dig.
Yes, it's clear as day that they try to portray the New Americans as some loony toon 3rd Reich wannabe cult. I mean they just try to make them the ultimate bad guys to make the Twilight World more interesting. Your hereos can only be as good as your bad guys are bad. If you just had Civ Gov and Mil Gov fighting each other alone the story would be more blah. Civ and Mil gov are really not all that much different in some ways. They are both made up old of politics just one is more in favor of a marshal law type atmoshpere.
As far as New Americans being lesser warriors because they were not Europe or the Middle East, meh I don't know. Every unit has dirt bags period. I lot of how good people are in my own opion is do to morale. I have seen good units turn bad just from a simple change of command and vice versa. The Americans returning would have most likely had better weapons handling and understanding of tactics, but they were fighting convetionally too. Now home in the USA it's all guerrrilla warfare, which the New Americans and the State side military have been doing.
That's just my view, wrong or right.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-17-2010, 07:17 AM
kato13's Avatar
kato13 kato13 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, Il USA
Posts: 3,352
Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4something View Post
I was counting on someone to have issues with me saying that. Well, think about it New America grew up on it's own. No government funding, no pay check for joining, no reason for being there accept you wanna be. That's what I dig.
As a child of the cold war I respected survivalists. I often had questions about many of their opinions on certain matters, but the go it alone mentality was interesting to me. I realize now I would never have been emotionally distant enough to be a successful one if the balloon went up (I would have ended up trying to help too many people), but planning to be one was a fun logistical exercise to me back in the day.

The fundamental problem is how do you unify what are by nature rugged individualists. The canon "New America" does this by instilling a sense or superiority and vilifying an external enemy. As has been seen in history that really can work.

I did not like that solution so I made them anti-government, anti refugee and strongly anti immigrant. This makes them a bit more of a gray enemy in my opinion. It also probably weakens the bonds between cells. However a charismatic leader can still motivate a majority of them.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Webstral's Avatar
Webstral Webstral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North San Francisco Bay
Posts: 1,687
Default

While I also have my doubts about how secret an organization like New America could be, New America makes for good story-telling. One can tweak NA to fit one's own limitations on suspension of disbelief. I've never been big on New America, but the organization can serve a purpose.

I like the Neo-Nazi racism foundation for New America because for me it taps into some very deep, dark stuff. For better or for worse, my father was a history major at a liberal arts college. I grew up on WW2 history. I got a stiff dose of Holocaust awareness in my at-the-dinner-table and riding-in-the-car and fishing-at-the-local-pond education. Flash forward in time, and I'm married to a woman whose parents are African-American and Asian-American. To the Neo-Nazis, Klansmen, and Aryan Brothers of the nation, my son is an abomination, while I am a blood traitor. I like having the story-telling tool of New America available specifically because I'm not remotely neutral about the New American racism.

Getting to the story-telling part, I have been sketching out ideas for the New American power in Idaho so I can show these guys in action. New America is a device for showing how the kind of evil that overtook Germany can overtake at least a slice of the American population. Not every white person in the Idaho cantonment has to be a racist. Like the Germans, the non-NA folks along the Snake River simply have to go along with the program.

In The Final Solution, a New American cell has enjoyed huge success in the Snake River Valley of Idaho. Unlike the Tampa New American organization, the Snake River New Americans have gone with a more traditional Holocaust-style of treatment of the untermenschen. Concentration camps have been set up, and the non-Aryan internees are worked to death. It's pretty straightforward, really.

From a story-telling standpoint, I get my dramatic release from two events. The first is the friction that develops between the Shogun in Nevada and the New Americas. The Shogun is a warlord, but he's an equal-opportunity warlord. He's Japanese-American, and the outward apsects of his army (the Gunryo) are heavily Japanese partially as a means of fostering internal cohesion among his troops. The Gunryo has a lot of bikers, but the few racists have been... weeded out. The Shogun gets wind of what is happening in Idaho and executes a major raid with his army of mobile marauders. He "liberates" a number of people from the concentration camp, then promptly adds them to the peasant population under his thumb in Nevada. Mind, I'm not trying to make the Shogun a hero. I just like the irony of the Shogun and New America being at each other's throats.

The second event is Operation Manifest Destiny. The Snake River has to be opened up to barge traffic so that the Colorado and the Puget Sound cantonments can be linked logistically. Skipping over the preparations to build an expeditionary force that can do the job (which could fill a thick novel), I imagine American troops gathered from all over the country (including a reinforced battalion from SAMAD) pushing forward an offensive to crush the New Americans and liberate the surviving Americans in the concentration camps. So yes, it's a fairly simple good v evil story for me. I happen to like it because it touches me in a very personal, very fundamental way.

Webstral
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-17-2010, 08:18 PM
Targan's Avatar
Targan Targan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 3,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webstral View Post
I like the Neo-Nazi racism foundation for New America because for me it taps into some very deep, dark stuff. For better or for worse, my father was a history major at a liberal arts college. I grew up on WW2 history. I got a stiff dose of Holocaust awareness in my at-the-dinner-table and riding-in-the-car and fishing-at-the-local-pond education. Flash forward in time, and I'm married to a woman whose parents are African-American and Asian-American. To the Neo-Nazis, Klansmen, and Aryan Brothers of the nation, my son is an abomination, while I am a blood traitor. I like having the story-telling tool of New America available specifically because I'm not remotely neutral about the New American racism.
I'm glad you wrote this Web. I have held off posting in any threads about New America because the whole concept of NA makes me very uncomfortable. Of all the things in modern society that I can not abide, racism is high on my list. I often say (only half jokingly) that you can always find much better reasons to hate someone than the colour of their skin. I don't like speculating on what New America would or would not do because I don't want to have to put try to put myself inside the head of a New America member. I'm normally pretty good at being empathic and trying to see things from other peoples' points of view but with NA I find myself really not wanting to.
__________________
"It is better to be feared than loved" - Nicolo Machiavelli
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-17-2010, 09:11 PM
pmulcahy11b's Avatar
pmulcahy11b pmulcahy11b is offline
The Stat Guy
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 3,885
Default

I like to have the racist New America as bad guys, for the reasons Targan mentioned. My mother is a concentration camp survivor, and that contributes as well.

As for myself, racism is basically institutionalized hate, and in the US we're already seeing it reassert itself. But It doesn't make sense to me -- there are so many reasons to hate people as individuals that hating them as a race doesn't make any sense. Dogs are altogether better people -- most of the time they love unconditionally, and when they don't, people probably made them that way.
__________________
How did the universe get so weird? -- Michio Kaku

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-17-2010, 10:17 PM
sglancy12's Avatar
sglancy12 sglancy12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4something View Post
Well, thing about it New America grew up on it's own. No government funding, no pay check for joining, no reason for being there accept you wanna be. That's what I dig.
Yeah well, that could also describe the RUF, the Sendero Luminoso, the Taliban, Al Queda, and the Khmer Rouge... none of which I would describe as "cool." Interesting maybe. Even fascinating... but not cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4something View Post
Yes, it's clear as day that they try to portray the New Americans as some loony toon 3rd Reich wannabe cult.
The "they" to which you refer are the authors of the TW2K game setting. They don't have to try to portray the New Americans as some loony toon 3rd Reich wannabe cult because New America absolutely is a loony toon 3rd Reich wannabe cult.

You sound like you think the New Americans are getting a bad rap from the former staff writers at GDW.

Am I reading your comments correctly?

A. Scott Glancy, President TCCorp, dba Pagan Publishing
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-17-2010, 10:25 PM
kalos72's Avatar
kalos72 kalos72 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Posts: 921
Default

I will be honest, NA is good for my campaign as it gives the MILGOV/CIVGOV forces some ones else to worry about.

Personally, I see NA being the source of a fair amount of "rebuilding". Organizations with this much power tend to be a catalyst for other reforms and such to counter them as well.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-18-2010, 03:26 AM
waiting4something's Avatar
waiting4something waiting4something is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: midwest, U.S.A.
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglancy12 View Post
Yeah well, that could also describe the RUF, the Sendero Luminoso, the Taliban, Al Queda, and the Khmer Rouge... none of which I would describe as "cool." Interesting maybe. Even fascinating... but not cool.



The "they" to which you refer are the authors of the TW2K game setting. They don't have to try to portray the New Americans as some loony toon 3rd Reich wannabe cult because New America absolutely is a loony toon 3rd Reich wannabe cult.

You sound like you think the New Americans are getting a bad rap from the former staff writers at GDW.

Am I reading your comments correctly?

A. Scott Glancy, President TCCorp, dba Pagan Publishing
Well Robin Hood was pretty cool and he didn't go with the government grade and was self promoting too.

As far as "they" I I'm refering to the authors of TW2K. They are the ones that made the NA what they are, are they not? I mean they could have made them dudes that just where anti government, didn't like typical U.S. politics, or waiting for hard times ahead. No they made them to be the typical Hollywood racist redneck militia. And why not build them like the Nazi's they are the popular guys to hate on. Years of movies and TV have taught us well on that. Hell even the film Star Wars had bad guys based on Nazi's.
You Mention Khmer Rouge which I give you props for, because most people don't even know or remember them and they happened after the nazi's. Bad guys and the groups they run can be different from the nazi's yet this always goes unnoticed, because we are so brainwashed on what we are fed by the media. Hell some other evil could lurk up on us, because we are so focused on nazi's. Look at Africa do we know what happens there- no, we don't care. Why because they aren't popular.
So yeah the writers did make the NA bad guys. A group like that couldn't get that big, because everyone is looking for that type of evil. They could of made them less flamboyant bad guys or not bad guys at all, just another group that doesn't see eye to eye with the other two.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-18-2010, 03:45 AM
John Farson John Farson is offline
The Good Man
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 87
Default

I've always thought of NA as coming to the fore after the nuclear exchange, offering law and order, food, security and protection against raiders, rebuilding etc. etc. In the sorry situation the U.S. is in, I'd think that a lot of people would be quite open to all that.

Naturally, NA would use propaganda to mask their more odious true nature from the general public. I doubt they'd immediately go "RAR! We are teh Aryans!!! We gonna kill all the filthy niggers, jooze, fags, mormons and anyone else we don't like!" They'd be more clever than that, which would make them all the more dangerous. This reminds me of a joke I once read in MAD magazine about the "patriot" who ends up hating about 90% of Americans.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-18-2010, 03:54 AM
Legbreaker's Avatar
Legbreaker Legbreaker is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Posts: 4,552
Default

The Khmer Rouge of course were Communists who took it to the absolute extreme. Fortunately their reign over their country was relatively short, but did they know how to kill people!
Of course the majority of the people they killed were their own, which many people pointed the finger at just to save their own skins (and then most still died).

A truely horrific group which unfortunately still exists in the more remote regions...
__________________
If it moves, shoot it, if not push it, if it still doesn't move, use explosives.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-18-2010, 05:43 AM
headquarters's Avatar
headquarters headquarters is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Norways weather beaten coasts
Posts: 1,825
Default NDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
The Khmer Rouge of course were Communists who took it to the absolute extreme. Fortunately their reign over their country was relatively short, but did they know how to kill people!
Of course the majority of the people they killed were their own, which many people pointed the finger at just to save their own skins (and then most still died).

A truely horrific group which unfortunately still exists in the more remote regions...
I always saw the ndp as something along those lines ( NDP -NEW DAWN PARTY in our campaign) .Not communist and totally different setting , but you know-totalitarian ,fear fuelled obidience and uniformity.

Shelter-Bread-Leadership

the creed of the NDP who woved to give all a berth and space in a bunker ,calories enough to feed all and of course a 23 hour and 45 min program for how the populace would spend their days in their bunkers.

Yeah -I know -that 15 min gap proves it . They are softies.

They do have a death mine though , for dissidents.They inherited it and renamed it from The General Pain Asbestos CO. Ltd when the glorious reign of teh General collapsed during the first MilGov invasion /liberation attempt in 2014.( Yeah.Some call it this ,some that ,depending on loyalties..)

Much the same clientele .
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-18-2010, 06:12 AM
Legbreaker's Avatar
Legbreaker Legbreaker is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Posts: 4,552
Default

Something that was half joked about when I was in the army was that we were not allowed to be worked more than 23 hours and 45 minutes in a day as anything more could be described as slavery.
__________________
If it moves, shoot it, if not push it, if it still doesn't move, use explosives.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-19-2010, 07:35 AM
sglancy12's Avatar
sglancy12 sglancy12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4something View Post
Well Robin Hood was pretty cool and he didn't go with the government grade and was self promoting too.
Don't think Robin of Loxley would much appreciate being grouped with Pol Pot and Carl Hughes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4something View Post
And why not build them (the New Americans) like the Nazi's they are the popular guys to hate on. Years of movies and TV have taught us well on that. Hell even the film Star Wars had bad guys based on Nazi's.
Frankly the Soviets get to fill those shoes in TW2K. Got yer spiffy uniforms. Got yer brutal secret police. Got yer massive army. Even got Gulags to stand in for concentration camps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4something View Post
You Mention Khmer Rouge which I give you props for, because most people don't even know or remember them and they happened after the nazi's. Bad guys and the groups they run can be different from the nazi's yet this always goes unnoticed, because we are so brainwashed on what we are fed by the media. Hell some other evil could lurk up on us, because we are so focused on nazi's.
You are all over the place dude. First you ask "Why weren't New America more like the Nazis?" then you complain that Nazis have been overused?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4something View Post
Look at Africa do we know what happens there- no, we don't care. Why because they aren't popular.
Hey, I mentioned the RUF didn't I? Maybe I should have thrown in the Lord's Resistance Army from Uganda. Those guys are 8 cylinder, fuel-injected psychos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4something View Post
So yeah the writers did make the NA bad guys. A group like that couldn't get that big, because everyone is looking for that type of evil. They could of made them less flamboyant bad guys or not bad guys at all, just another group that doesn't see eye to eye with the other two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4something View Post
I mean they could have made them dudes that just where anti government, didn't like typical U.S. politics, or waiting for hard times ahead. No they made them to be the typical Hollywood racist redneck militia.
Okay, I still don't get your point. Are you turned off because the New Americans were made out to represent the worst aspects of the survivalist movement? Do you see the New Americans as a deliberate slight against anyone white, christian, rural, politically conservative and dedicated to self-sufficiency?

I don't think the authors intended the New Americans to represent the entire survivalist movement. There is plenty of room in the canon for survivalist philosophies that do not include the fascism and racism of New America. I will admit that as written in TW2K the survivalist movement was a prime recruiting ground for New America, just like in real life many of the white supremacists and racial separatist movements attempted to recruit from the survivalist and the later militia movements.

The New Americans were certainly influenced by David Brin's Holonists from "The Postman." In that book survivalists are depicted as the reason the government fails to recover after the limited nuclear exchange and why the country breaks down into anarchy and chaos. But I don't think that the authors at GDW had an agenda concerning the depiction of survivalist.


A. Scott Glancy, President TCCorp, dba Pagan Publishing
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-19-2010, 08:47 AM
kato13's Avatar
kato13 kato13 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, Il USA
Posts: 3,352
Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglancy12 View Post
I don't think the authors intended the New Americans to represent the entire survivalist movement.
I have to say that I cut GDW a little slack on the attaching of Facist/Nazi characteristics to New America as when they did it (mid to late 80s), it was not nearly the cliche that it is now. It was actually kinda novel back then (at least to me) and given the tone of some survivalist groups, potentially accurate..

In today's world you see the fact that the movie version of "Sum of All fears" change the villains from Palestinian terrorists to, you guessed it, neo Nazis. Even thought the origin or fissile materials they used was a lost Israeli bomb found in Syria. This just smacks of lazy writing or a desire not to be controversial. Nazis are just such an easy target.

Last edited by kato13; 02-19-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-19-2010, 01:30 PM
pmulcahy11b's Avatar
pmulcahy11b pmulcahy11b is offline
The Stat Guy
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 3,885
Default

Neo-Nazis are an easy target -- but they're also an easy plot device. Sometimes, those are necessary, as long as those easy plot devices aren't overused.
__________________
How did the universe get so weird? -- Michio Kaku

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
new america


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alternate Timeline... (WIP) natehale1971 Twilight 2000 Forum 3 06-26-2009 02:05 PM
Alternate T2K timeline Turboswede Twilight 2000 Forum 1 05-31-2009 09:44 AM
OT - only in america General Pain Twilight 2000 Forum 9 12-08-2008 01:57 AM
Latin America in the Twilight War (T2K v1.0) Raellus Twilight 2000 Forum 15 12-05-2008 03:57 PM
New America in Idaho kato13 Twilight 2000 Forum 0 09-10-2008 03:54 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.