RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 12-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Administrator

When I was a kid, I was in love with the Galil.

I've always kinda liked the Stoner 63 system- very versatile. I'd take the SAW version with a 200 round box mag (it can also take drum mags). A lot of Vietnam SEALs loved 'em, although I read somewhere that there were some safety issues.

BIA, as an RPD fan, you'll appreciate this quote from SOG: A Photo History of the Secret Wars by John L. Plaster.

"Examining a captured Soviet RPD light machine gun- at 15.4 pounds the lightest belt-fed machine gun in the world- some recon men found that its barrel could be swawed off and the gun would still function flawlessy. This SOG-customized RPD was chopped down to about 31 inches, cutting its weight to 12 pounds- shorter and a bit heavier than the Thompson submachine gun but firing the full-powered AK round. The sawed-off RPD was well balanced and handled so perfecly you could write your name with it. The SOG men added a jury-rigged 25-round metal belt segment to boost its capacity to 125 rounds and inserted a slice of linoleum in the drum to eliminate any rattle. At close range it was the most awesome weapon in SOG recon."

Nice.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048

Last edited by Raellus; 12-15-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:39 AM

I've read that SOG book by John L. Plaster, it is very good.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender
For my part I'll chose an even older weapon and one of British origin, dating back to WW1: the Lee Enfield.
Actually, about 20 years prior, as the .303 caliber, rifle, magazine, Lee-Enfield. The shorter SMLE was introduced in 1904. The British had actually adopted a replacement based on the Mauser, the Pattern 1914 Enfield, prior to WWI. However, the immediate need for rifles led to the SMLE remaining the primary British rifle. As the M1917, in .30-06, the Pattern 1914 served in the AEF in larger numbers than the official M1903 Springfield since Winchester and Remington were already tooled for the rifle.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother in Arms
I know its not US but I just couldn't resist!

Australian SLR L1A1\
Yet another wonderful battle rifle, I would also be more than happy to carry. There is just something about the 7.62X51mm round.

You could always use the US version that failed in the M14 trials, the T48. Commercial repros are available, for example: http://www.dsarms.com/SA58-FAL-T48-C...fo/SA58T48COL/
Old 12-18-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother in Arms
3mm
if you don't like 3rnd burst you could swap the lower from a M4A1 carbine and put the upper of the M16A4. And you get the benefit of a collapsing stock as well as FA. The collapsing stock is extremely useful with body armor, winter clothes or even web gear or tactical vests. All of of those things reduce your length of pull.
Or just swap the FCG parts. It's not difficult. Granted, more difficult than just an upper swap, but... Or you could just use the Canadian version, the C7A2.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Elite Couch Commando

Send a message via Yahoo to Twilight2000v3MM

Many moons ago I have a friend named Vince Streeter. He was a retired Gunnery Sgt and I think he did atleast 2 tours if not 3 in Vietnam. He was very much an uncle figure to me.

His BN. and He had several classic encounters with a Montagnard (sp) guerrilla "Warlord". He had 4 bodyguards armed with chopped down BARs. He said the BARs were still bigger than the bodyguards.

I got to shoot a LEFT side belt fed Stoner 63 (1 of 4 ever made IIRR - the Stoner feeds from the right) - I put 10 rounds thru it... very cool. My buddy eventually sold it for over $65,000.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:21 PM
Player to be named later

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13
His hair is a bit other worldly isn't it
Heh, you want bad politico hair? Look up James Traficant, from Youngstown Ohio. Graft, Corruption, and bad hair that puts Blago-whatever-his-name-is to shame...

As far as a favorite weapon to get back on topic, I'm gonna cast my vote for the 1911. Stopping power, reliability, and character, that bad boy has it all. Plus it's kind of satisfying to see the look on the face of a trespasser when that slide gets racked...
Old 12-19-2008, 02:25 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wiser
Those guys must've had a brain fart because ten or so guys with no heavy weapons weren't going to stop the convoy we had. They just saw the lead vehicle and opened fire. However, every vehicle in the convoy went to the sound of the guns....first on-scene was our captured T-72 with the M-113 I was in right behind the tank. As soon as they realized they'd bit off more than they could chew, these clowns made their next (and fatal) mistake-run across an open field with lots of automatic weapons (and even a tank gun) firing on them....no prisoners taken.
Your opponents' tactics would have worked great in a narrow mountain pass or a MOUT situation. Otherwise, they should have let you go by, or maybe stopped the front and rear vehicles and then un-assed the area at best. They might have even had enough time to get reinforcements before you had things sorted out. But they weren't going to stop you dead.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 08-09-2015, 05:46 PM

Default Back from the dead

I started Basic with the M-14. went to the M-16, Bought my own Browning semi auto and carried it, LT FO, but then I had a whole Infantry company to guard me
I have used a ton of weapons and really like my Mini-14 that was converted to a folding stock and shortened two inches one inch muzzle and One inch chamber then rechambered and re-crowned with a four power Burris scope it worked well in my role a scout on SAWT.
I have an m1a1 with scope and I assume it is very similar to the m-21 in service. I like it a lot and have made one shot kills of Elk here in Colorado at three hundred plus.
Tis better to see them afor they see you.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:55 PM

Retro R604 clone I built, love Del -Ton's pencil 1-9 barrels.
M1911A1 original or S70 with slightly larger sights, like the M1991 or Mil-Spec.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:07 PM
Registered Registrant

Well seeing how this thread has been brought back...
Like Targan, I have a deep affection for the L1A1 SLR but because we're talking US weapons here, my favourite US bangstick would be the Stoner 63 system.
I know it's heavy for a rifle but with the extra parts, you can change it to a light MG with different types of ammo feed.
And if you simply must have 7.62mm NATO as well (hey, I certainly would!), there's the Stoner 62 family, the 7.62mm design that the -63 evolved from.
Irrespective of all that and the weight, I've always liked the look of the -63 series.

Stoner 63 in rifle configuration
Old 08-09-2015, 09:00 PM

Getting back on favorite U.S. weapons: the M-16/CAR-15/M-4, followed by the M1 Tommy Gun, the M-14, and the Ma Deuce .50 cal.

Old USMC Adage
Old 08-09-2015, 09:28 PM

Default 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45cultist View Post
M1911A1 original or S70 with slightly larger sights, like the M1991 or Mil-Spec.
nines are ok but I like the .45.
I have carried almost all of Col. Colt's versions but I like the Commander. We had a smith here that made one as good or better than any national match.
I could take out ten bowling pins at fifteen yards in 11.4 seconds. yep reload and all.
I could see in those days and I will not tell you how much of the Sheriff's money got spent on ammo.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:30 PM

Default How big are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wiser View Post
Getting back on favorite U.S. weapons: the M-16/CAR-15/M-4, followed by the M1 Tommy Gun, the M-14, and the Ma Deuce .50 cal.
I used that .45 gun with the stick mag.
hold low left and end high right. Three round burst.
the Ma 2 is maybe the worlds best design of a MG. I hold as evidence the longevity.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:36 AM

I would say the M-4A1 for rifle, and the M1911A1 for sidearm. A lot of the others are nice, but the M4 is just such an extension of my body now I Could not see taking anything else. I loved having my M21 and M107 to back up my M4, but if only one the M4.

If you want the M16A4 but with full auto you want the M16A3.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:15 PM

I see alot of us like the stoner, and 1911. Can't really go wrong with those. I'm gonna say a tie between 1911, garand, stoner, and m1 carbine
Old 08-10-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draq View Post
I see alot of us like the stoner, and 1911. Can't really go wrong with those. I'm gonna say a tie between 1911, garand, stoner, and m1 carbine
I like the Stoner bayonet, later known as the KCB-70 and KCB-77. Now made by Waffentechnik. They are slightly different from the old Eickhorns. The .45 M1911 design still shines a century later. Along with my Ar15 clone, an M14 with synthetic stock would only need match sights for long range work.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:36 PM

As far as what would/might be available to me in 1996 in the USAF---
SR-25 w/10x scope (private weapon)
GAU-5P/M-4A1/SR-16
STI Eagle
MK-760
Old 08-11-2015, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpipes View Post
As far as what would/might be available to me in 1996 in the USAF---
SR-25 w/10x scope (private weapon)
GAU-5P/M-4A1/SR-16
STI Eagle
MK-760
The Air Force was like that, our gear improved as the SP, Engineers passed along the older stuff.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:14 AM

Maybe I am a bit old fashioned, and certainly it is not a suitable combat weapon when compared to High Powers Glocks etc. With all of that being said, the Colt Peacemaker! I have several and monkeys can fix it, IF it breaks. It's too simple to though. 4.75 inch barrel 44-40. A 200 grain pill at almost 1,000 f/s! If the 1911 can do it well, it's predecessor does it with style.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:52 PM

Wink A wheel Gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milano View Post
Maybe I am a bit old fashioned, and certainly it is not a suitable combat weapon when compared to High Powers Glocks etc. With all of that being said, the Colt Peacemaker! I have several and monkeys can fix it, IF it breaks. It's too simple to though. 4.75 inch barrel 44-40. A 200 grain pill at almost 1,000 f/s! If the 1911 can do it well, it's predecessor does it with style.
I carried an S and W Model 19 in 4" long after others had gone to semi auto.

Why? Because of a long history and being very comfortable with it but that was law enforcement and I did not expect to be in a long drawn out shoot out, although the one time I had to shoot a man and killed him was after he and four officers had emptied their weapons at each other at less than ten yards and he had run into his home and gotten a semi auto Browning rifle.

Two of the Officers had .357 revolvers and two had 9mm semi autos. I had trained the two Deputies and lost a bit of confidence in them and my teaching skills. Later when he came out to finish two officer that had taken cover behind a Police vehicle forty-nine rounds were expended by him and Officers. He was hot once, by me, with a .223 Mini fourteen.
The peace maker is a fine weapon for up to six rounds and maybe more if you have good cover and backup while you reload, the Smith 19 loads fairly quick but still is a six shooter, I can still get off twelve rounds in seven to eight seconds into a three inch circle at seven yards, but I can get two mags into the same circle in under fifteen seconds with any semi auto.
SOOOOO…. If it is a combat situation then I will go with a 1911.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:16 PM

Favorite U.S. weapon for the time period I would have to say would be the M16 series weapons. I liked the M16A2 a lot especially with a M203 under it. The older M16 and M16A1 with the triangle forend looked and felt great too. The carbines and commandos even though they might not have been as practical fighting across the plains of Europe or deserts of the Middle East, would have been a special treat to still have due to there handiness and weight. Plus they just look badass.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:23 PM

"Mistress," my SIG 229 in .40/.357 SIG would be my primary choice. I would back that up with my Kahr P9 in 9mmP. My holdout would be my customized Beretta Tomcat in .32ACP loaded with GLASER saftey slugs in my front left pocket. I get a lot of flack for the .32 but it has good sights and shoots very straight for a "pocket pistol." I routinely qualified with it at the Sheriff's Department even with our 30 meter target. Most of my .380 pocket pistols cannot do that.

I'd take my Daniel Defense M4 with my Trijicon 1-4 VCOG optic. My M14 EBR copy (built on an M1A) would be a close 4rd (my SCAR-17, or my TAVOR falls second and third). My Colt M16A2 with a Trijicon ACOG X4 mounted on the carry handle would also be an alternate.

SMGs would be either the H&K UMP in .45 or the MP-5 in 9mmP. I would take an MP-5K PDW if I could find one. I MISS my MP-5K; but my house needed a new roof and they were worth $20K during the ban. An unexpected favorite in my lineup would be the .45 Grease Gun. I shot this as a track driver in my old artillery unit and it was very easy to control. As hard as it may be to believe, the grease gun beats the Thompson hands down in every department.

For scatterguns, I would take my old Mossberg M590 with Sidesaddle shell carrier, 20" Vangcomp barrel, 500 luman SureFire forend, and 9 shot capacity. My Benelli M4 with 18" barrel and 7 shot capacity would be second. If I could find a Crye Precision 6 shot revolving under barrel Six12 shotgun; That would be the best of both worlds.

The MK48 Mod 0 or mod 1 would be the only MG to take. By taking the bolt feed tray and barrel off of an M249, you can convert the 7.62mmN MK48 to 5.56mmN. Just choose your caliber for each mission. Any M240 or M249 can provide up to 80% of your gun's required parts. That's really good for maintenance.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:48 AM

I've loved the M1911A1 for over 30 years, easy to use, reliable,and respectable stopping power...the "wonder nines" just don't comparable!

Rifles, I own a M-1 Garand for close to twelve years and it's a great shooter, certainly one I would feel comfortable carrying on battlefield.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45cultist View Post
On the military side, the M16A1, or the M16A3 FA variant, Colt product R704 I believe,M16A2 was R702.

Tags
united states, weapons