RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 08-24-2011, 02:10 PM

Default Gibralter

There was a request for me to post details of Spain and Portugal. I have already written up Gibraltar which is close!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Gibralter 24-08-11.pdf (126.6 KB, 148 views)
Old 08-24-2011, 02:45 PM

You've got a minor canon conflict with 2nd Battalion, Royal Green Jackets....per the Boomer module (pg 12), 2 RGJ are deployed to Norway in December 1996 (off hand I think excluding the Guards, the only regular Battalion not accounted for one way or another is 1 WFR, at least in V1 - V2 may differ). Also Med Cruise mentions some Gurkhas as being present (pg 16), although God knows where they would have come from!

A very minor nitpick - IRL the Gibraltar Regiment didn't get the Royal title until 1999, but that could easily be different in the T2K timeline.

Cheers
Old 08-24-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six View Post
You've got a minor canon conflict with 2nd Battalion, Royal Green Jackets....per the Boomer module (pg 12), 2 RGJ are deployed to Norway in December 1996 (off hand I think excluding the Guards, the only regular Battalion not accounted for one way or another is 1 WFR, at least in V1 - V2 may differ). Also Med Cruise mentions some Gurkhas as being present (pg 16), although God knows where they would have come from!

A very minor nitpick - IRL the Gibraltar Regiment didn't get the Royal title until 1999, but that could easily be different in the T2K timeline.

Cheers
Bear in mind NATO withdraws many units from Norway. With the growth of importance of Gibraltar I assigned them there to support the base security. I'll add a note explaining this.

I have something special planned for 1WFR as my local regiment (and formerly being badged to WFR as part of 5th (Derbyshire Cdt) Bn WFR... you will have to wait for that though... :-)

As for the Gurkhas, difficult to explain, these days I would have them as a PMC but that doesn't fit. In transit possibly - I will go back and reread to see of I can come up with a better idea. Thoughts welcome.

Slipped up with the Gibraltar Rgt - I even have it in my notes! I'm inclined to make them Royal but need a reason - anyone have any thoughts on that?

thanks for the points
Old 08-24-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Langham View Post
Bear in mind NATO withdraws many units from Norway. With the growth of importance of Gibraltar I assigned them there to support the base security. I'll add a note explaining this.
Fair point, but I think you've still got a conflict with dates...you have 2RGJ going to Gibraltar in June 96 and GDW has them going to Norway in Dec 96?

Re: Gurkhas, how about an incremental Company formed from Gurkha units in the UK and attached to the British Battalion to bring it up to full strength (aren't there Gurkha Companies at Sandhurst and (maybe) Brecon in a Demonstration role)?
Old 08-24-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six View Post
Fair point, but I think you've still got a conflict with dates...you have 2RGJ going to Gibraltar in June 96 and GDW has them going to Norway in Dec 96?

Re: Gurkhas, how about an incremental Company formed from Gurkha units in the UK and attached to the British Battalion to bring it up to full strength (aren't there Gurkha Companies at Sandhurst and (maybe) Brecon in a Demonstration role)?
Easy enough to change - I'll check the date they were withdrawn and change it.

The obvious answer would bean incremental coy to bring 2RGJ up to strength after Norway. There is definately a Gurkha Coy at Sandhurst (I'm working on an article about it). Not sure on Brecon.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:47 PM

Updated version with explanations.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Gibralter 24-08-11a.pdf (126.9 KB, 142 views)
Old 08-25-2011, 12:18 AM

So the Russians drop a nuke on the Rock.

But with all the tunnels built into the Rock itself surely there would have been a nuke-proof bunker built.

Now I'm not sure how resistant Limestone would be to a nuke but if the navy had time to get a few ships away from the place than you would think that the local troops and government would have set up shop inside the Rock with all the supplies needed to ride it out for a while at least.

Just my silly idea.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:46 AM

My guess is there'd have been more survivors inside the rock than out on the ships. Chances are with the miles and miles of tunnels, masses of supplies and so forth, many of the civilian population would have been accommodated inside as well.

However, the doors would have to be shut at some point... Those on guard at the time would have been in a very tough position with many more desperate people wanting shelter. Of course warning time may have been very limited too - if it was a sub launched missile, it may have been just a couple of minutes, barely enough time to "batten down the hatches" so to speak.

Given the escalating nuclear exchange elsewhere, the rock may already have effectively been locked down, with much of the population outside evacuated. Blast doors would only be open as required to pass that moments traffic and ventilation ready to shut down automatically at the first sign of trouble. This is one place in the world where it could be expected the inhabitants could ride out a direct strike of some size.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 08-25-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjam View Post
So the Russians drop a nuke on the Rock.

But with all the tunnels built into the Rock itself surely there would have been a nuke-proof bunker built.
Which is probably why there were some survivors among the military units there instead of none.