RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 08-25-2010, 03:27 PM

Default FNG inbound

Hello all,

While I'm relativly new to acctually playing TW2K, I've been playing other systems for a while and since I'm now running a TW2K game I'm looking for some information and advice. A quick google search turned up this place and I've looted Paul Mulcahy's website for years for information about various things.

I've also recognised one face here...Hi Chalkline.

Ok that said a little about me. I'm in my late 20's been roleplaying for a couple of decades and have never been in the Military. Sometimes that is an issue as one of my current players is a medically discharged Marine and veteran of Somalia. Sometimes he just can't relax and realise that it's just a game and when he starts sugesting that i'm going to start overrunning the party with Mi-24 Hinds and Black Eagle tanks or that the dug in marauders are going to simply kick every grenade into the grenade sump it gets annoying.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:34 PM

Welcome. Can anyone blame folks for kicking grenades into sumps?
Old 08-25-2010, 03:53 PM

Nope but it's really funny when you were planning on having said grenades simply frag a machinegun foxholes occupants and having a player start ranting about how you are going to have the undisiplined Maraurder simply kick a half dozen grenades into a hole and be perfectly safe. I've had family see the results when a grenade simulator goes off in a small concrete machinegun bunker with only the MG slit open. A couple trainees were seriously hurt/killed. thus the simply declaring the marauder dead who finds himself shareing a hole with a grenade.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:21 PM
The Stat Guy

Experienced military personnel can be a problem when playing T2K. Perhaps if you talk to him before your next game and ask him to hold his comments during the game about realism to a minimum, and also ask if sometime when it's not game time you can tap his brain for ideas on how to make your game more realistic? Kind of assert your authority as a GM and stoke his ego at the same time, and you'll both learn something.

An then you can report back here and we'll learn something...

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 08-25-2010, 04:59 PM

The guy is former USMC Intelligence and thinks that he knows all. Still besides his faults he's a pretty fun guy to game with as his characters have personality to them.

what interests me is what would be a good source of adventures as TW2K moduals are out of print and I'm currently moving so ordering CD-ROM versions is out of the question for now.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Administrator

I've had very similar issues with past players in my PbP. Know-it-all players of any background can really ruin the fun for the rest of the group, not to mention making the GM's job a big headache.

Tell him/her to cool it and let you run the game as you see fit. If they can't handle that, show him/her the door. Sounds harsh but it usually ends up being addition by subtraction.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, the gear-book, Baltic Boats, and the co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...-waters-module
Old 08-25-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
Nope but it's really funny when you were planning on having said grenades simply frag a machinegun foxholes occupants and having a player start ranting about how you are going to have the undisiplined Maraurder simply kick a half dozen grenades into a hole and be perfectly safe. I've had family see the results when a grenade simulator goes off in a small concrete machinegun bunker with only the MG slit open. A couple trainees were seriously hurt/killed. thus the simply declaring the marauder dead who finds himself shareing a hole with a grenade.
Yeah, agreement. Kicking a hand grenade into a sump may keep you alive, but it'll ring your bells something fierce, and if it didn't take someone out of the fight entirely, it would at the very least be like getting flash banged by God.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:31 PM

I made the mistake once of firing a blank inside a rifle pit. Just those few grains of gunpowder left my ears ringing and stunned me for a few moments. I'd hate to experience a full on grenade blast in such a confined space!

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 08-25-2010, 09:51 PM

Welcome to the forum Rockwolf66, new blood is always good. What was the path that led you to T2K?
Old 08-25-2010, 10:16 PM

Legbreaker, notice what i said above about a relative of mine seeing a pair of trainees really messed up by being in a concrete MG bunker with the door shut. As far as messing with explosives goes my dad used to test Explosive engineers so that they could get their state licences. I used to play videogames next to a six foot long bookcase filled with explosive information.

As far as my special snowflake goes...he was an "expert" on North Africa and the Middle East. He doesn't speak any of the local languages of that region nor does he know of the region's history. He's admitted that he somehow contributed to a riot where a culture vulture got killed....The poster is right when he says I should tell him to STFU.

As far as what got me into TW2K, a friend of mine gave me the main 2.2 rulebook and two suplements for it. The first supliment is the Nautical/Aviation book and the second was a small arms book.

Recently i found a few TW2K books at a local comic shop and decided to buy them. I now have The free City of Krackow, Black Madonna, Going Home, Special Operations, and the 1.0 rulebook

Right now I have my PC's trying to rescue US servicemen from a town controled by a reinforced company of Marauders before the Soviets come aknocking. Fortunatly for the PCs the Marauders are low on ammo.

Still I would love adventure Ideas and Possibly joining in a PbP game.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:07 AM

Welcome to the forum!
Old 08-26-2010, 02:28 AM

Default Welome to the forum !

Good to see new guys signing up - and good to read that the game is still "recruiting" new players and GMs .

You write a little about the members of your group and their ways .

getting a good chemistry regarding the game is paramount -more so than realism imho.

of course -getting the good vibe going requires FINDING the level of realism that one and all can agree on is the best cross between the fun and story bit and the hard facts .

a know it all in the gaming group can come from any background mind you,some have this experience with military guys ,some dont.We have 3 guys with service in my group and I myself am the military know it all in our sessions ! ( But I am the GM..)

best way to handle it - discuss it a few days before the next session.Be specific - tell him that you respect his knowledge etc ,and ask for advice about how to play out certain situations and how HE would like to see these handled.
(Then consider this after your own mind - the guy might be off his rocker and just trying to puff up acting all "emotionally scarred vet" and stuff ).-

Then tell him that you will try to incorporate some of the themes he would like to see in your game and then tell him that interruptions and commentary in general is a big no-no ,as it throws the GM off the demanding track the GMs finely tuned mind has taken to bring the players the ultimate gaming experience.being imaginative,vocal,fair and balanced and cooly calculate the vast rule system for players and numerous NPCs simultaneously surely is a bit of a trick .
Ask HIM to respect this and refer to the main objective of the session -that everyone involved including the GM has a jolly good time in playing a game together.

just my 2 cents ( or "5 øre" as we say in our beautiful Norse tongue)-and of course I imply by no means that this is the optimal solution to achieving the best result.

It just worked for me .I used to have a pros and cons round after any session getting positive and negative feedback -and giving it .Only on the players performance in regards to rules and roleplaying skills and never on their characters choices and situations .The players in turn would give it to me straight :" not dark and gritty enough" ," to easy to survive-more realism" etc
Old 08-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Activist Rules Lawyer

hey there, welcome!

I've also dealt with a know it all when I ran my pbem. I used to do some light screening before I let anyone join my pbem, just some "get to know you" type questions so I could figure out who the person was on the other end of the internet. This one know it all didn't answer the questions, no biggie I thought, plus I needed somebody to take over a PC who dropped out so I let him in.

This guy started spouting off like he was real military ("thats not how we did it", " X rifle fires at this rate", etc) and started pissing off the rest of the players (mostly civies with 2 ex military). I gave him a warning and let him know he could chill out, but he kept going on. I think part of the problem is that it was a pbem, and not face to face. After that I gave him the boot.

It wasn't the easiest thing to do, but it had to be done.

Turns out he hadn't had any military experience at all, just spent a lot of time in the university library reading about guns.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:16 PM

Me I've gotten most of my early military knowledge from guys who learned about Vietnamese culture the hard way. I grew up around firearms and by 18 I had handled or shot everything from .177 cal pellet guns to Military weapons. Currently I have several friends who have multiple tours of the sandbox under their belt and have my morning starbucks with a strange collection of former servicemen and one British Commando.

As I'm moving I'm takeing a few weeks off from GMing and maybe I should pick up an online TW2K game.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:09 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by headquarters View Post
just my 2 cents ( or "5 øre" as we say in our beautiful Norse tongue)-and of course I imply by no means that this is the optimal solution to achieving the best result.
Of course, 2 cents costs about 11 cents for the US mint to make.

You have a good solution there -- but sometimes, rules lawyers (or I guess experience lawyers) can't be curbed and have to be bumped out.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 08-26-2010, 10:12 PM

well in any case I guess I'll look up the various areas in TW2K that I have information on and then work out a few NPCs. I might even create some Improvised munitions if Krackow decides to produce more than just mortars.

in any case Charlie Mike everyone.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Grimace Send a message via AIM to Grimace Send a message via Yahoo to Grimace

Welcome aboard!

Just your description of this player of yours that's ex-USMC smells of a sh*tbird. Intelligence...medically discharged...Somalia. I've got a friend in USMC Intelligence. Doesn't get anywhere near any action.

So definitely ask him to tone down the rhetoric during the game and if he can't, show him the door.

As far as your games...I think you'll find there's quite a number of people here that can provide just about any idea you'd ever want for games. And answering questions won't be a problem for us, either.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:16 AM

Marine intel in Somalia, yep.
They never left the U.S.S. Wasp, and certainly never went field.
Sounds like a typical fobbit claiming more then he should.
Until I see peoples dd214 I don't trust many strangers stories as almost all turn out to be nothing more than bullshido.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer View Post
Marine intel in Somalia, yep.
They never left the U.S.S. Wasp, and certainly never went field.
Sounds like a typical fobbit claiming more then he should.
Until I see peoples dd214 I don't trust many strangers stories as almost all turn out to be nothing more than bullshido.
Figures as he really doesn't have the demenor of the confirmed combat vets that I know. Those guys don't feel the need to prove anything to others about how badass they were. Heck, it speaks volumes then you have a 60 year old man outshoot you with your rifle and ammo. Said old man has congestive heart failure, emphisima, and neropathy in both hands to boot.

I'll let him keep spouting his bullshit as sooner or latter my players will get sick of it and call him on his BS. It's not like the garbage he's been spouting isn't hard to look up and some of the things he's said run contrary to every other source. Stuff like the Millitary replaced the M1911 with Berettas because 1911 slides crack and injure the users and Colt never figured out a fix in 80 years.

Yeah that sort of stuff cracks me up.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
Figures as he really doesn't have the demenor of the confirmed combat vets that I know. Those guys don't feel the need to prove anything to others about how badass they were.
I wish I could agree 100% with you on that one.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusilier View Post
I wish I could agree 100% with you on that one.
Different circles of friends I guess. Most of the people I hang out with on a daily basis are Vietnam vets. Of the guys I know with time in the sandbox they tend not to be the guys who make combat sound like it's fun. It's probably something to do with my personality.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:27 PM

I am reminded of this cartoon:

The caption, IIRC, is "That ain't no combat man. He's lookin' for a fight."

Tags
new guy