RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 11-10-2010, 04:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

Damocles holo-interaction image

Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Former GDW Playtester.

Default Artwork

Damn, great artwork.
Thanks for the service.
Hopefully you are doing better.
Now back to the games, T2k and MP are the best post-armageddon games.

Grew up within 10 miles of GDW, makers of T2k and Traveller. Would like to see artwork from either game.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceekalia View Post
Damn, great artwork.
Thanks for the service.
Hopefully you are doing better.
Now back to the games, T2k and MP are the best post-armageddon games.

Grew up within 10 miles of GDW, makers of T2k and Traveller. Would like to see artwork from either game.
Well.... if you ask, ye shall receive... check the T2k forums for the artwork..
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:55 AM

Some of the floorplans that I had drawn up for Boltholes... just one of my first attempts at drawing them up. My new idea for modular boltholes will be drawn up after i finish the revised Damocles facility floor plans.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:27 AM

Good work on the boltholes! Do have a couple of observations...

Do you store the team equipment on the vehicles or have you considered placing items, such as explosives/ammunition in a seperate annex? Gary's Supply Bunker website has a excellent drawing of such a bolthole.

Looking over the equipment lockers...one question I've always had with the cannon is why sticking a extra pistol, ration pack,medkit was such a good idea. Consider that the team already has access to their main supplies, placing an extra set of digging tools so that it would handy to the exit may be a better idea, or to carry it even further, the vehicles have thier pioneer tools, why equipment lockers at all?
Old 11-22-2010, 12:54 PM

Dragon, if ya look at my topic I posted a few boltholes I made up, and some of them do not have a totally separate ammo store, but its something that I have been working on.

Mostly a sci-fi nut, who plays a few PC games.
I do some technical and vehicle drawings in my native M20 scale. - http://braden1986.deviantart.com/
Old 11-22-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
Good work on the boltholes! Do have a couple of observations...

Do you store the team equipment on the vehicles or have you considered placing items, such as explosives/ammunition in a seperate annex? Gary's Supply Bunker website has a excellent drawing of such a bolthole.

Looking over the equipment lockers...one question I've always had with the cannon is why sticking a extra pistol, ration pack,medkit was such a good idea. Consider that the team already has access to their main supplies, placing an extra set of digging tools so that it would handy to the exit may be a better idea, or to carry it even further, the vehicles have thier pioneer tools, why equipment lockers at all?
Those extras are there for emergency bailouts that would be made when you can't take your entire kit with you. And admit it, when you don't have to do an emergency bailout... those little extras are good to have as a reserve.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBraden View Post
Dragon, if ya look at my topic I posted a few boltholes I made up, and some of them do not have a totally separate ammo store, but its something that I have been working on.
Saw your work and I do like it.

But the problem with long term storage of ammo, is that the stuff goes bad. Having a armored annex for storage of ammo is a reasonable safety measure IMO....
Old 11-22-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natehale1971 View Post
Those extras are there for emergency bailouts that would be made when you can't take your entire kit with you. And admit it, when you don't have to do an emergency bailout... those little extras are good to have as a reserve.
Me, admit anything?!! Why no officer, I have no idea why all of these empty beer cans are in my car!

The way I use equipment lockers in my games as that they are storage lockers for a mattock, 2 D-handle shovels, a crowbar, a hatchet and 300 sandbags. As for the medkit, extra pistol and ration pack...I don't care for it, I don't use it, YOMDPTY!
Old 11-22-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
Me, admit anything?!! Why no officer, I have no idea why all of these empty beer cans are in my car!

The way I use equipment lockers in my games as that they are storage lockers for a mattock, 2 D-handle shovels, a crowbar, a hatchet and 300 sandbags. As for the medkit, extra pistol and ration pack...I don't care for it, I don't use it, YOMDPTY!
LOL

We have extras like that in the lockers for our Campaigns as well. The emergency Bailout gear (the extra medkit, pistol & ration pack) has gone a long way for the team as well. In one of the games we ran, the extra pistol was given to a local who joined the group as a local guide to replace the ancient (and very inaccurate) rifle that they were using. They were also given use of one of the M14 rifles carried in the vehicles.

But most of my teams that i've ran (and ran with), have completely field stripped the 'disposable' Boltholes of EVERYTHING (even the things bolted down) and loaded them up on the vehicles.

They'd also use the disposable bolthole as a central rally point with spare gear for emergencies. It's why we came up with the idea of the Project Emergency Shelters for the teams. Of course... One of the teams had turned the Bolthole into a HOME.

No, I'm not kidding...

They did it because the chose to keep the cyrotubes for major medical emergencies (ie, someone hurt so bad that they didn't think they had the ability to save them, they'd put them in the cryotube so that when the Health & Medical Teams were activated they could be transferred to them). And the things in the bolthole that they set up, was for when the tubes were active to have someone watching over them. Of course, the place was set up to be VERY nice. A couple of feather beds, bookshelves, and other things as well.

It's what gave us the idea that it was just wasteful to have boltholes being a one time only deal. We made them modular with various levels of use.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
But most of my teams that i've ran (and ran with), have completely field stripped the 'disposable' Boltholes of EVERYTHING (even the things bolted down) and loaded them up on the vehicles.

They'd also use the disposable bolthole as a central rally point with spare gear for emergencies. It's why we came up with the idea of the Project Emergency Shelters for the teams. Of course... One of the teams had turned the Bolthole into a HOME.

No, I'm not kidding...

They did it because the chose to keep the cyrotubes for major medical emergencies (ie, someone hurt so bad that they didn't think they had the ability to save them, they'd put them in the cryotube so that when the Health & Medical Teams were activated they could be transferred to them). And the things in the bolthole that they set up, was for when the tubes were active to have someone watching over them. Of course, the place was set up to be VERY nice. A couple of feather beds, bookshelves, and other things as well.

It's what gave us the idea that it was just wasteful to have boltholes being a one time only deal. We made them modular with various levels of use.
Hmmmm, there are some good points to the argument. I can even see a team being assigned a home base coupled with a supply annex or two. So if we go with a home base, the next logical question is what level of supply would be co-located? I would suggest enough to allow the team a safety margin of one year. Time to get the crops planted, etc.etc.etc.

Down side, of course, is that the team gets tied down to one location.

One could even say that for Recon teams, they get the disposable bolthole, since their mission is to get out and interact with the locals. A power generation team would be assigned a modular base, since they are going to be somewhat more static.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:23 PM
Volunteer Timeline Errata Coord.

Quote:
LOL

Nate,

As always, great pictures! The Damocles one looks creepy.

That said, I've never seen the above example. happen in any game, except after the players have secured a base of operations elsewhere, preferably in a town.

As an afterthought I have had players come back and salvage boltholes and cryotubes, but never carry it with them like street people lugging a shopping cart. For example, in my current campaign, locals who are professoinal salvagers are paid to do the dirty work and salvage bolthole materials, but the boltholes are already abandoned, as intended. In this case, yes, the cryotubes are pulled, wiring is scavenged, light fixtures are removed, battery packs, cabinets, everything.

My feeling is players already have enough excuses to "hide and hoard" already, why encourage it by making the boltholes into livable bases? One of the Project's supposed advantages was intended to be the mobility of teams.

Tony
Old 11-29-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helbent4 View Post
Nate,

As always, great pictures! The Damocles one looks creepy.
that's the idea. an innocent looking child representing an AI running a self-defense program is just to good to pass up.

Quote:
That said, I've never seen the above example. happen in any game, except after the players have secured a base of operations elsewhere, preferably in a town.

As an afterthought I have had players come back and salvage boltholes and cryotubes, but never carry it with them like street people lugging a shopping cart. For example, in my current campaign, locals who are professoinal salvagers are paid to do the dirty work and salvage bolthole materials, but the boltholes are already abandoned, as intended. In this case, yes, the cryotubes are pulled, wiring is scavenged, light fixtures are removed, battery packs, cabinets, everything.

My feeling is players already have enough excuses to "hide and hoard" already, why encourage it by making the boltholes into livable bases? One of the Project's supposed advantages was intended to be the mobility of teams.

Tony
The teams didn't tote all the stuff with them, they took it all to their base of operations. They'd always find a building (or build one) near the community that they ended up using as their base of operation.