RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2016, 11:38 AM

Another excellent module sir
Old 08-19-2016, 02:09 PM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Gives a plausible reason why they missed the boat home, BUT how many of the 3 ACR rank and file would stayed and how many would have left?

I mean if I knew there a boat going home to see my family (if there are alive) and my CO say nope we not going, well I would have would find a away to get to the boat on my own.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:36 PM

You are not alone in that. The Going Home entry for 1st Cav mentions that several groups with tanks left their cantonment for Bremerhaven.

Old USMC Adage
Old 08-22-2016, 04:20 PM

Worth reading again. Minor nitpick:

Quote:
8 In this action Warrant Officer Juliet Tilley became the first female Medal of Honour winner for twice landing her OH58 helicopter behind Pact lines under fire to rescue downed AH1 crews. In the second incident she dismounted to help a wounded pilot from the wreckage of his helicopter.
The Medal of Honor is awarded, not won.

Suggested rewording:
Quote:
In this action, WO2 Juliet Tilley became the first woman to be awarded the Medal of Honor. She twice landed her OH58 helicopter behind Pact lines under fire to rescue downed AH1 crews. In the second incident she dismounted to help a wounded pilot from the wreckage of his helicopter.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:56 PM
Internet Intellectual

How many personnel have married local nationals and started families ?..... In this way too, you can expect many, many U.S. personnel to pass on Omega.... expecting a future airlift or a Reforger style return in the years to come.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHart View Post
Worth reading again. Minor nitpick:

The Medal of Honor is awarded, not won.

Suggested rewording:
I will update, nitpicking encouraged. I'm adding more detail and probably going to put a fair bit extra in on the reasons for staying and families.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:59 AM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
How many personnel have married local nationals and started families ?
Most dependants would be evacuated back to the US, even if they were foreign born. I can't seeing any US solider leaving his family in a war zone no matter where in Germany his family is. Even if the US Military wouldn't give them a ride, some soldiers would probably make there owe arrangement's to send their family to the US.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaf_777 View Post
Most dependants would be evacuated back to the US, even if they were foreign born. I can't seeing any US solider leaving his family in a war zone no matter where in Germany his family is. Even if the US Military wouldn't give them a ride, some soldiers would probably make there owe arrangement's to send their family to the US.
Having been a dependent, there was official provisions to evacuate dependents to the US in case of a crisis that required the activation of REFORGER. The plan was to fly families back on the planes that had just brought the troops in.

The plans were elaborate, at least they seemed so to a six year old attending the class with his mom, because we got a 2 hour lecture in Rota when we first arrived (This was 1980, and the Hostage Crisis was ongoing), so they wanted us to know, if the crap was about to hit the fan, there was a plan to get us out. Whether that plan would have been successful if the Soviets struck from barracks? Who the hell knows.

Now, in a T2K buildup? The pre-war families would be gone. They would have been brought back to the US pretty easily, as there was no real interference with REFORGER. Now that said, for marriages between US servicemen and German or Polish nationals DURING hostilities? I don't know what the plan would have been..Of course, the nuclear exchange would have knocked that into a cocked hat.

I remember reading the British and Canadians had similar plans for their service dependents.

"Red Star, Burning Streets" by Cavalier Books, 2020

https://epochxp.tumblr.com/ - EpochXperience - Contributing Blogger since October 2020. (A Division of SJR Consulting).
Old 08-24-2016, 09:35 AM

It's interesting about dependents, a few random thoughts:

* Not all the foreign born dependents will want to go - woried over danger of travel, uncertainty and uprooting - things may be bad here but is the US worse?

* Was enough provision made for them in Op Omega?

* Was there a PERCEPTION there was enough space - unlikely as troops did not think there was space for them.

* Historically armies DID leave dependents behind (the British after the Penninsula War) - especially if things were not official and recorded - the Sharpe series has a nice scene that could serve as a template for an officer who is dealing with this.

* Some relationships might be like the Front Marriages of the Soviets in WW2. It might be accepted that the end when going home.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:05 PM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Langham2 View Post
* Not all the foreign born dependents will want to go - woried over danger of travel, uncertainty and uprooting - things may be bad here but is the US worse?

* Was enough provision made for them in Op Omega?

* Was there a PERCEPTION there was enough space - unlikely as troops did not think there was space for them.
Again looking what was said before most dependents would be sent back to states before or soon after the shoot war starts.

Many More might be change their minds and leave as the war goes on. Don't forget many families have members that survived WWII, with city bombings, battles in the streets. These families members might urge them to leave while the getting is good.

War time marriages are another possibility but with fast pace of modern warfare with "here today gone tomorrow "and the army need to fill out loads of forms I don't that happening in large numbers.

Bottom line up front is that I see very few members staying with families back in Germany.

What I see happening and this make for a great NPC encounter, is lone solider separated from his unit weary of the conflict. Finding a wife and settling down somewhere (Poland) and taking up farming, repair work, cheese making etc. He of course be single with no family or love ones waiting back in the states.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:02 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Possibly..... or that would be the intention... I just see it as the German spouse isn't going to be voluntarily evacuated to the U.S., U.K., or Canada with her/his extended family living in Germany.

The respective military is only going to evac a spouse and children.... not the spouses extended family (parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, ad nauseaum)......

Then there is retirees........ many of those stayed on in Germany after they mustered out.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
What I see happening and this make for a great NPC encounter, is lone solider separated from his unit weary of the conflict. Finding a wife and settling down somewhere (Poland) and taking up farming, repair work, cheese making etc. He of course be single with no family or love ones waiting back in the states.
I still want to make that a campaign. I've mentioned that one of my players dreamed of his PC was settling down after meeting a pretty widow in a cabin in the woods.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:59 AM

Default Updated version

As ever comments welcome
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 3rd ACR (US) - updated.pdf (696.9 KB, 71 views)