RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2013, 03:18 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain
Default Your Equipment List

I've always wondered how all my fellows @ this esteemed forum would equip themselves, if they had a 30-50 kg limit. This would include clothing,weapons,ammo, and other - NOT FOOD and water.

So What would you consider the most perfect equipment-list if money or availability wasn't an option?

I myself isn't sure of what my list would look complete but maybe with hints and pointers from my friends here @ the forum.

Anyway here goes:

Rifle - VSK-94 w/multiple scopes (starlight/thermal/xxx
Handgun - PainTek .666
Shotgun - 2 x 10gauge doublebarelled sawed of shotguns (Player character killers)
Maybe a small derringer or two; cleverly hidden
Extra nightvision/thermal vision/IR binos
Binos x 2 maybe a real small one too
Autoinjecters of battlestimulants
Small set of medical supplies
water purification tablets
atleast 3 knives + a belt buckle knife
Battle armor like flack jacket or armor suit or the like
a good deal of extra batteries
compass
maps
explosives and demo kit
some kind of AT ability
Old 07-25-2013, 07:10 AM
The end is nigh!!!

I am working on a game where the characters start off in canoes trying to destroy a bridge behind enemy lines and they were limited to what they can carry in the canoes. Only problem is they had to make room for 50kg of plastic explosives also.

They also had to take into account what they can carry cross country for 5 days (later they will get chances to get a vehicle).

The answers here will help me setting up the game.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnwolf View Post
I am working on a game where the characters start off in canoes trying to destroy a bridge behind enemy lines and they were limited to what they can carry in the canoes. Only problem is they had to make room for 50kg of plastic explosives also.

They also had to take into account what they can carry cross country for 5 days (later they will get chances to get a vehicle).
Commando raid - light is right!

Weatherproofed maps
Wrist compass
Prismatic compass

Fielddressing
Small first-aid kit
Morphine

Large pack:
Food, water, small gas burner, sleepin bag, mess tins, gear for wet/cold, tin opener.

Combat webbing:

Knife, 6 mags for M-16, 1 frag and 1 CS or smoke grenade, NVD.

Weapon:
M-16

In pockets:
Note book, pen&pencils, codes, face veil or camo cream and water purification tablets.

Patrol equipment:
HF-radio (for operator)
Medical bag (Medic)
Silenced SMG + subsonic ammo
Sniper rifle
RPG or M203+ ammo
Explosives
Old 07-25-2013, 07:49 PM

Let me take a stab at this.

Uzi w/ 12 Mags
HP35 w/ 3 Mags
2 Frag Grenades
2 Smoke Grenades
Current Battle Armor w/ Helmet
Web Belt w/ holster & ammo pouches
Weapon Cleaning Kit
Current Backpack
Sleeping Bag
Tarp
Waterproof Ground Cloth
Poncho large enough to cover backpack
Mess Kit w/ eating utensils
Multi-Tool
Canteen w/ cup. 1 liter capacity
50 Water Purification Tabs
Flint/Steel
Waterproof map of AOR
Compass
2 Spare Sets Underware
Battle Knife
Folding Shovel
Camelback Water System for backback. 5 liter capacity
Personal First Aid Kit x2
30 Day Issue of Tetracycline
Personal Hygene Kit (2 x soap, 2 x rolls TP, Straight Razor, small mirror, 2 x handy wipes)
Personal Commo Gear
Carton of Cigarettes
Cigarette lighter x2
$20 Gold Eagle x1
$1 Silver Morgans x5

That should fit into the parameters you mentioned.

My $0.02

Mike

Last edited by mikeo80; 07-26-2013 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Forgot 2 important items
Old 07-27-2013, 12:52 PM

Basic kit has everything needed. Heck most of its in my bug out kit already:
BDU Uniform in appropriate Camo for area
Dog Tags with Silencers
M4 Carbine with at least 8-10 loaded magazines
45' Colt with 4 loaded Magazines
K-Pot Helmet
LBE with Holster and two ammunition pouches
Weapon Cleaning Kit
Backpack and Buttpack
1 Man Tent
First Aid Kit and pouch
1 Quart Canteen and Cup with pouch on web gear
2 Quart Canteen with pouch on backpack
Water Purification Tablets
Folding Shovel with Case/ attached to Backpack
Sleeping Bag
Hobo Knife/Fork/Spoon set
2 Poncho's/ 1 in backpack/ 1 in buttpack
Sleeping Bag
Small Number of Zipties
Paracord Bracelet
K-Bar Knife with Sharpening Stone or Bayonet
Small Work Knife
Local Maps and Compass with Pouch
Waterproof Matches with watertight container
Four Pairs of Socks
Personal Hygene kit/small mirror, razor, soap, etc
Flashlight with color filters and two sets of batterys
Boots

With a little work food can be made to fit in extra space and while somewhat bulky the loadout is actually somewhat light

Last edited by stormlion1; 07-29-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:07 AM

Talking

AR15 with light weight 1-9 twist barrel, 7 mags on person
KCB77 Eikhorn bayonet
M1911A1, 3 mags on person
BDUS
ALICE gear
Camel back
2L canteen
Medium ALICE pack
poncho& liner
Otis cleaning kit
Multitool
a few more items
Old 07-29-2013, 06:04 PM

Clothing: 2 outfits, EITHER: a set of much patched woodland utilities and worn combat boots, or a set of civilian outdoor clothes (charcoal grey trousers, medium grey shirt, green ‘boonie’ cover, and ‘outdoor sandals.’ Either case a drop holster for a pistol (S&W Mod 59 with 3 15 rd Mag) and a ‘leatherman’ is worn on belt. Partially due to uniforms being worn out, partially to give option on appearance. Switchblade knife carried in pocket, along with wallet (still including Military ID)
Mini-14 with ACOG, 1 20 rd mag normally in weapon, a 30 rd mag in pouch on side of rifle.
Combat load: loadbearing vest with 2 x 30 rd mag, 2 x 20rd rifle mag. (one of the 30Rd Mag is loaded ‘all tracer’ and is used to direct subordinates via fire commands), a fragmentation grenade (reliable improvised version) in one grenade pouch, compass in other, kabar knife. 2 canteens (one w canteen cup), butt pack, gortex jacket, leather gloves, magnessium fire starter, 2 aluminum carabineer and 20’ of rope, 80’ of 550 cord, first aid kit (including tourniquet, small supply of pain meds and antibiotics.’), headlamp with white or red lens capability.
Set of 2 small ‘walkie talkies’ using rechargeable batteries (need to be plugged into vehicle’) either on pack or combat load, depending if charged and someone to talk to.
Sustainment load: Large backpacking pack with lightweight sleeping bag, gortex bivy bag, foam mat, poncho (often used as shelter), hatchet, 3 qt camelback, water purification system, waterproof bag full of scavenged food, waterproof bag with extra socks/t-shirt, a black wool sweater, a black wool watch cap. High quality improvised claymore mine. Hygiene kit (toothbrush, all purpose soap/detergent, scissors, towel). 4 trash bags, 1 liter of whiskey in a “nalgene bottle.’ Alcohol stove and small pot, ½ liter of ‘denatured alcohol. Fork, spoon, salt and spices, aluminum plate/fry pan.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:58 PM
The end is nigh!!!

All these list are great but realistically the war has been going on for three years and I think the list would more look like...

- battered rucksack held together with bad stitching and fishing line.
- worn out boots packed with any plastic bags to keep out water.
- blanket patched with scenes from the Muppets
- your weapon and cleaning kit plus spare magazines
- clothes taken from dead soldiers (all armies)
- small shovel stolen from some farmer
- assortment of wire and hooks for making snares and fishing lures
- assortment of tin cans to heat water and cook food in
- a well worn picture of your loved one
Old 07-30-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
All these list are great but realistically the war has been going on for three years and I think the list would more look like...

- battered rucksack held together with bad stitching and fishing line.
- worn out boots packed with any plastic bags to keep out water.
- blanket patched with scenes from the Muppets
- your weapon and cleaning kit plus spare magazines
- clothes taken from dead soldiers (all armies)
- small shovel stolen from some farmer
- assortment of wire and hooks for making snares and fishing lures
- assortment of tin cans to heat water and cook food in
- a well worn picture of your loved one
A good point, I wonder just how long Uniforms, ALICE gear, rifles and pistols and tents and all the fancy electronic toys actually would last without repair or replacement. A good reason to minimize electronics if nothing else due to battery life and plain old wear and tear.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:16 AM
Banned

Keep in mind that shipments of things like uniforms and gear may have continued long after factories making tanks and planes and artillery stopped going.

Plus the US Army and other armies had a lot of equipment stockpiled in Europe - including material to resupply full sized divisions - as those divisions got much smaller that gear would have gone further than originally intended

as for weapons - if you know how to keep a weapon clean (and everyone in the military gets that drilled into them ad infinitum) then even after several years of war it would still be in good shape - my uncle Charlie had the same rifle he got issued from 1942 in Africa till he got captured at the Bulge
Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Banned

My GM did something like this once as a change of pace - only a couple of us were around over a vacation and we did a scenario where we used our original characters but only equipped them with what we could have grabbed bailing out of a vehicle under fire

so very minimally equipped and only a couple of weapons with limited ammo

basically started with an M16, a 9mm and only a couple of clips for each and very minimal gear
Old 07-30-2013, 04:02 PM
The end is nigh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
Keep in mind that shipments of things like uniforms and gear may have continued long after factories making tanks and planes and artillery stopped going.

Plus the US Army and other armies had a lot of equipment stockpiled in Europe - including material to resupply full sized divisions - as those divisions got much smaller that gear would have gone further than originally intended

as for weapons - if you know how to keep a weapon clean (and everyone in the military gets that drilled into them ad infinitum) then even after several years of war it would still be in good shape - my uncle Charlie had the same rifle he got issued from 1942 in Africa till he got captured at the Bulge
Equipment gets used up pretty quickly and after the Thanksgiving Massacre, I don't think shipping was a high priority for the troops in Europe. Also remember these troops have been cut off from the regular forces and are heading out in the during a massive artillery barrage in the middle of the night. My equipment list is after being on the road for a couple of months.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Equipment gets used up pretty quickly and after the Thanksgiving Massacre, I don't think shipping was a high priority for the troops in Europe. Also remember these troops have been cut off from the regular forces and are heading out in the during a massive artillery barrage in the middle of the night. My equipment list is after being on the road for a couple of months.
I agree with your equipment list 2-3-4 years post TDM.

General Pain was speculating with unlimited funds and availability. As was I.

My $0.02

Mike
Old 07-30-2013, 07:26 PM
The end is nigh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo80 View Post
I agree with your equipment list 2-3-4 years post TDM.

General Pain was speculating with unlimited funds and availability. As was I.

My $0.02

Mike
Thank you. I just re-read the original post.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:49 AM
Banned

it does say that there were supplies still being sent but it was light equipment, not heavy any more - most likely happened during the last surge of men to Europe as CivGov and MilGov competed aganist each other

and there could be new equipment being made, just not to the same standards - the Germans in WWII were still turning out all kinds of tents, sleeping bags, mess gear you name it even as late as March and April of 1945

so you could see that continuing here - but now the materials are different, the uniforms dont last as long, the weapons have different quality of steel or wood subsituted for plastic, etc..
Old 08-09-2013, 06:25 PM

a battered G3 with a claymore bag full of magazines.
a battered ARVN rucksack
a mess kit and canteen cup for cooking
a khukuri knife.
a wore out survival firestarter
scavenged clothes in earth tones
a small american flag hanging off my ruck for IFF
a USGI poncho with liner
a small dark tarp.
the best course of action when all is against you is to slow down and think critically about the situation. this way you are not blindly rushing into an ambush and your mind is doing something useful rather than getting you killed.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:36 AM

With an unlimited budget, titanium mess kit, and a Kifaru woobie and shelter! Might need to stat those up.....
Old 08-20-2013, 01:59 PM

Default From my time in the Sandbox

My thought that if you take care of the gear that you have it can last a long time, for example: I have twenty years in the Army, three deployments shortest was 14 months, longest was just over 18. I have several pieces of equipment that I took with me each time and still have. One example back in early 2000 I bought my self a Rucksac (CPF-90) and for the last 13 years of my military time I used it for almost everything. So I have had it now for more than 14years and todate have only had to replace two buckles. Other gear got used up quick, I went through three pairs of boots in the first year I was there, my uniforms were also falling apart, some of this was due to the fact that we were washing our clothing in a kiddy pool as there was no laundry facility, part was that we wer all over the place so it saw lots of use. My rifle was brand new when I deployed but I have no dought that it would last for many years, one of the guys in the area had an M16 from Vitnam time and it was still in use.

Now as to my list I will just go with the list as I remember it. I have no idea what the weight was but carried it day in day out.
Carried
M4 W/ Supprsor, TacLight, EoTech and one point sling with 16 Mags
M9 with 5 Mags
31" ASP Batton
2 Folding knives
Straight Blade
Bayonet
Vest
IFAK
Kevlar W/IR IFF, Blue/White Light, PVS-14
Gas Mask
Map and Compass
Knee Pad(s) (one most time, some times both)
5.56 and 9mm Boresnake
4oz bottle of CLP
Day/Night Flare
Extra 123a

Rucksack
Sleaping Bag
Wobbie
2nd uniform
6 sets underware
12 sets socks
12 extra (loaded) rifle mags
2 Beta C Drum (loaded)
Full rifle and pistol cleaning kit
Extra 123a

assault pack (hooks to top of rucksac)
4 IV's
8 IV start/Lock sets
16 IV Cathaders
4 KCD
10 Tagaderm
6 tourniquets
12 trauma dressings
1 C-Collar
1 VS-17
1 Drug pouch
Steascope
BP Cuff
Pulse Ox
Gloves
Band aids

other than food and water this is more of less that is what I carried each of my deployments, more than some less then others. The longer I was there the more ammo I carried. After my first deployment I did not carry any ammo not loaded in mags on me, did normaly carry a ammo can in the truck. I left in the arms room the M203 (hate that peice of junk), explosives were left in the truck.

Last edited by CDAT; 08-20-2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Ran out of time, finshied it.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:23 AM

CDAT: one question. why less iv bags compared to IV lock kits?i know you have the patient that squirms like hell when the needle touches skin but your just as likely to have a patient that goes through more than one bag while your getting them out granted for all i know you keep extra bags on the vehicle.
the best course of action when all is against you is to slow down and think critically about the situation. this way you are not blindly rushing into an ambush and your mind is doing something useful rather than getting you killed.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
CDAT: one question. why less iv bags compared to IV lock kits?i know you have the patient that squirms like hell when the needle touches skin but your just as likely to have a patient that goes through more than one bag while your getting them out granted for all i know you keep extra bags on the vehicle.
Yes more IV bags in truck, but every time we stuck someone we use a lock kit, but did not use an IV bag. If you start the IV before they have lost to much fluid it is easier to start, and if you hand them off/get to the aid station you do not use you supplies.

Tags
equipment, random items