RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2010, 12:40 AM

Multiple runs or one across a well traveled route is another matter...

But if its a one time move, I figure you'd sail right through without any real opposition/threats (or any that can respond quick enough). There isn't going to be anyone sitting out in an ambush on am interstate waiting with the mere hope that (some day) somebody decides to send a convoy trucking on by. Obstacles, mostly unintentional ones would be probably the only hassle.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusilier View Post
But if its a one time move, I figure you'd sail right through without any real opposition/threats (or any that can respond quick enough). There isn't going to be anyone sitting out in an ambush on am interstate waiting with the mere hope that (some day) somebody decides to send a convoy trucking on by. Obstacles, mostly unintentional ones would be probably the only hassle.
This is pretty much it.

For security, you'd probably want something like a platoon or two of soldiers. One platoon should be enough, really. You'd want either scouts on motorbikes or horseback taking point and watching the flanks, ultralights would be hard to manage from a logistics pov. The soldiers doing the actually guarding would ride either in trucks, hummvees, APC's or whatever you can manage. Have a civilian wrecker along to clear the road and use the guards for manpower when needed.

Anything beyond that would be wasteful, unless its a genuine priority cargo you can't lose.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:58 AM
Registered Registrant

If you don't have usable locomotives, you can always convert trucks to run on rails. They can haul a much better load that way than if towing a trailer on the road.
Naturally you'll have to check to see if the rails are still usable and that "might" tip off anyone watching (if they're observant enough and the recce crew are clumsy enough)
Old 03-06-2010, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
If you don't have usable locomotives, you can always convert trucks to run on rails. They can haul a much better load that way than if towing a trailer on the road.
Naturally you'll have to check to see if the rails are still usable and that "might" tip off anyone watching (if they're observant enough and the recce crew are clumsy enough)
We've talked about this before. Here in Australia I've seen many Land Cruisers over the years that have been fitted with hydraulically activated front and rear rail rolling stock.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:15 AM
The end is nigh!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road-rail_vehicle
Old 03-06-2010, 05:30 AM

Chico is right about barge/rail/road being the order of effeciency of course. But I mean from a security stand point if I needed to make multiple runs over that 400 miles stretch, with a high priority load of say diesel or crude oil from far western PA to NYC.

I was thinking rail but the rail lines run so far out of the way that 400 miles turn into like 600miles sometimes. Although they are a more efficient mode of transport, they are easier to track since there is only one route to take.

1 - I was thinking maybe taking different tracks, never using the same twice in a row. Although that would mean I need to maintain several different lines of track.

2 - Having a lead security team to scout ahead of for obstructions. Perhaps an ultralight, or just the lead team even with a FLIR pod or personal infra-red goggles or spotlight to scout for ambushes at night.

3 - The biggest concern I think is the sheer masses of civilians in the area I would be passing through. All someone needs to do is say or think there is food on the train and that things gonna get swamped.

Tags
trains