RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

View Poll Results: What's your favorite T2k campaign setting?
Poland 16 50.00%
Iran 3 9.38%
CONUS, Northeast 0 0%
CONUS, Southeast 0 0%
CONUS, Northwest (includes NorCal and Alaska) 1 3.13%
CONUS, Southwest (includes Texas and SoCal) 5 15.63%
Thailand 0 0%
East Africa 0 0%
Korea 0 0%
Romania 1 3.13%
Eastern Europe, other 1 3.13%
UK 1 3.13%
Sweden 0 0%
Germany 1 3.13%
Other (please specify in thread) 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2022, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Default Favorite Campaign Setting

I hope this isn't a repeat poll, but I ran a search and didn't come across one like it. Options listed are those for which a sourcebook or multiple canonical modules are currently available. I'd love to hear your "why" in the comments.

-
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048

Last edited by Raellus; 12-28-2022 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-28-2022, 11:25 AM

No Sweden option? :P
Old 12-28-2022, 11:31 AM

You left out the UK as well. Not that I blame you for forgetting about the canon Survivor's Guide to the United Kingdom - I mean, I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would want to use it but it does exist.
Old 12-28-2022, 12:03 PM
Administrator

I knew I was missing something. Added UK and Sweden to the poll options.

-
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

Old 12-28-2022, 03:33 PM

I miss Germany on the list, but I would be really interested in a campaign set in former Yugoslavia and the Adriatic Balkans.
Old 12-28-2022, 06:19 PM
Administrator

I can add Germany to the list. I'd forgotten about how much information on the country was provided by Going Home. I wouldn't consider GH a sourcebook, per se, but it probably contains enough to qualify Germany for the poll.

-

Old 12-28-2022, 09:31 PM

No Mexico? Satellite Down gives background on Mexico.
Old 12-29-2022, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Default Sins of Omission

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike6 View Post
No Mexico? Satellite Down gives background on Mexico.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Options listed are those for which a sourcebook or multiple canonical modules are currently available.
If every location mentioned in a single adventure module or unofficial sourcebook were included in the poll, the list would be too long. For example, I would have to include Spain, Sicily, Libya, Greece, and Turkey, just from Mediterranean Cruise, Ukraine from Bear's Den, and/or Austria from my unofficial sourcebook on same. The list could go on.

-

Old 12-29-2022, 09:37 AM

Default Deep in the heart of Texas

I ran a Texas Rangers game for a while. Definitely my favorite. My world background was different (very few nukes, no Federal government split, a lot more Soviet troops in the south (basically, all of the force that in canon are fiddling around in Alaska/BC are in Texas), as well as large numbers of Latin American forces...I was going for the Red Dawn feel (child of the 80s here), but on the US side of the front. Scenarios were a mix of military (Rangers served as scouts and resistance liaisons), disaster relief and law enforcement (One of the most memorable scenarios was the team having to find and take out a meth lab in a refugee camp).
Old 12-29-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Options listed are those for which a sourcebook or multiple canonical modules are currently available.
-
So Satellite Down isnt a sourcebook? Is that why the quote is being used? I could make a case Pacific Northwest isnt canon because it directly contradicts both the US and American Vehicle Guides. I'm not going to because setting aside the author's error, the PNW module is well written plus the most important part. It was approved by GDWs successor FFE. Despite what you think of Satellite Down, it was published by GDW or FFE or agent of. It is a canonical sourcebook just like PNW. Get over it.

Quote:
If every location mentioned in a single adventure module or unofficial sourcebook were included in the poll, the list would be too long. For example, I would have to include Spain, Sicily, Libya, Greece, and Turkey, just from Mediterranean Cruise, Ukraine from Bear's Den, and/or Austria from my unofficial sourcebook on same. The list could go on.
I'll admit saying Mexico was a stretch on my end but it does provide enough detail for you to run a campaign in the Baja Pennisula/Gulf of California region if you miss the boat at the end of the adventure. It spells out where the various Mexican factions are in control within that region all the way up to the US border. Which if you look at a map is a significant region geographically I highly doubt you could do the same with Mediterranean Cruise and Spain. In the end, your poll but your logic sucks.
-
Old 12-29-2022, 12:53 PM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike6 View Post
So Satellite Down isnt a sourcebook? Is that why the quote is being used? I could make a case Pacific Northwest isnt canon because it directly contradicts both the US and American Vehicle Guides. I'm not going to because setting aside the author's error, the PNW module is well written plus the most important part. It was approved by GDWs successor FFE. Despite what you think of Satellite Down, it was published by GDW or FFE or agent of. It is a canonical sourcebook just like PNW. Get over it.
Since you brought it up, I have never claimed that Pacific Northwest is canon (nor, for the record, have I ever asked Marc to declare it as such). I'm mildly interested in your thoughts on how it "contradicts" the US Army Vehicle Guide and the American Combat Vehicle Handbook. I believe the unit histories I wrote for both the 47th ID and the 104th ID are aligned with the capsules presented in those original works. I didn't mention the Montana portion of the 104th's assigned AO when describing its current operations, but that's because Montana was not within the sourcebook's scope.

Also, and not speaking for Raellus here, I usually differentiate between "sourcebook," which focuses primarily on profiling a geographic area or other tools for play, and "module," which focuses primarily on providing the events and script for a defined adventure. While I won't claim that there's a universal lexicon in the RPG publishing industry, that's the terminology I've generally seen used in my circles.

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson

Last edited by Tegyrius; 12-29-2022 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-29-2022, 01:34 PM

<Start Mod Post>

Speaking in an official capacity as a Moderator can I firstly point out that there is an option called ‘Other’ so if anyone does wish to vote for a locale not included in the poll’s options it’s relatively straightforward to do so. If you feel so motivated to do so you could even start a thread of your own pertaining to said preference in which all members can discuss it.

More importantly, as per the forum guidelines we can all agree to disagree but let's make sure to do so respectfully. No name-calling, sarcasm, or other childishness is appropriate or welcome here.

So let’s knock off telling people to get over it or that their logic sucks just because you don't agree with it please.

Thanks.

<End Mod Post>
Old 12-29-2022, 01:56 PM

And now I should vote...

Only being able to choose one is quite tricky. My earlier joking aside, I would like to run a UK campaign at some point in time using my own material. Seems a bit silly to have spent all that time writing the damn thing and never using it but hey, it’s finding the time…

I played in a SW USA game a few years ago that made me think that area has a huge amount of potential. And those who know a certain German Captain that I’ve been running since 2015 know of my fondness for Germany, particularly the bigger picture.

Ultimately though, I can only vote for one so I went for the NW USA. Why? Because I I’d like to do something different and I think the PNW sourcebook is crammed full of material that I’d love to play through. Hence my vote, which is cast through the lens of a player (if I was voting as a GM I’d likely have opted for the UK).

Last edited by Rainbow Six; 12-29-2022 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Realised I said play though when I meant play through
Old 12-29-2022, 06:32 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

I've always been intrigued with the idea of an extended campaign in the southern Caribbean, using some of the assets liberated by the presumed PC victory over the NA-pirate force in Gateway to the Spanish Main. Grenada doesn't seem to be so bad off - plentiful food, no heavily armed marauders or enemy troops after the defeat of the pirates, reliable transport in the form of PC-scale sailing craft...
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...
Old 12-31-2022, 01:00 PM

Since a mod said something about things, I have to leave this kinda silly comment.

If your game is set on Mars, It is going to suck for two reasons.
1. How in the world did they even get to Mars?
2. They are all dead, with No air to breathe.

So I would have to say any game taking place on Mars would suck for a place to play in less you are running some very, very weird alt-world stuff.
Old 12-31-2022, 02:13 PM
The Stat Guy

The favorite campaign I ran took place in Florida (though it started in New York), so I put Other.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 12-31-2022, 03:42 PM
Spartan-117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckosacranoid View Post
Since a mod said something about things, I have to leave this kinda silly comment.

If your game is set on Mars, It is going to suck for two reasons.
1. How in the world did they even get to Mars?
2. They are all dead, with No air to breathe.

So I would have to say any game taking place on Mars would suck for a place to play in less you are running some very, very weird alt-world stuff.
Dry January is coming brother. Try it!
Old 01-01-2023, 10:13 AM

Poland (the Kalisz-Vistula-Warsaw trilogy) followed by Germany then back to CONUS was our character/game group arc. My preference may be tinted by nostalgia but it worked well when we played.
Old 01-01-2023, 12:18 PM
Registered Amuser

Kinda gotta go with Poland on this one. No other setting has that T2K “feeling” in my distorted brain.
Old 01-06-2023, 02:20 PM

i gotta go with Poland. it just has the right feel. which kinda sucks considering they get the short end of the stick in every world war.
the best course of action when all is against you is to slow down and think critically about the situation. this way you are not blindly rushing into an ambush and your mind is doing something useful rather than getting you killed.
Old 01-12-2023, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
i gotta go with Poland. it just has the right feel. which kinda sucks considering they get the short end of the stick in every world war.
Yeah, they were definitely cursed with geography that is easily invaded.