RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Intelligence Agencies

DeaconR 12-07-2005, 01:56 AM Here's a question: who here depicts foreign intelligence agencies in CONUS or Canada? Like, one of my players for instance is an MI6 operative, and I was thinking about KGB operatives as well though I haven't depicted any yet.

Targan 12-07-2005, 01:58 AM I have always assumed there would be GRU and KGB operatives operating with the WarPac forces in Texas. And there are obviously New America "intelligence operatives" working within MilGov and CivGov, although those operatives are not exactly "foreign". There would certainly be DSGE agents working with the Quebec secessionists.

thefusilier 12-07-2005, 06:23 AM I do, but in many cases IRL these guys were pretty simple and not your ultra spy KGB. One guy was living in Halifax for many years (the RCMP knew about him for a while), he was minimally trained and all he had to do was report what ships were in the harbor and when. There were similar guys like him around.

Rainbow Six 12-07-2005, 12:43 PM Given that the French have operational aircraft, would have thought it reasonable to assume that the DGSE could show up anywhere in North East US / eastern Canada. Take the Last Submarine, for example. If the French got wind of that, I don't think it's too great a leap to have them send in a team to try and take over the sub (and sail it back to France; voila - the French Navy has a new submarine)

The UK would probably have some sort of Embassy in Colorado Springs with a couple of MI6 agents attached. You could say the same for the Germans I would imagine.

And of course, there's Mossad. If they can get to Krakow, they can sure as Hell have agents operating in the US.

DeaconR 12-07-2005, 01:18 PM I would frankly suggest KGB operatives working in places like Quebec, Alaska, British Columbia and the state of Washington. They might probably have informants among the New Americans.

Apparently according to Orrin Ladd the FBI have also penetrated the New American organization.

Targan 12-07-2005, 10:56 PM After the mid-east meltdown, Mossad agents wouldn't really have anyone to report back to, other than the IDF forces attached to CENTCOM. I would imagine US-based Mossad agents would just make themselves available to CivGov or MilGov. But each to their own, I guess. There is an ex-Sayarat Matkal operative working for Po in my campaign, name of Yusuf Ibrahim. He was on exchange in the US when the meltdown happened, and is a tall, very black man originally from Ethiopia (there is a whole community of "Lost Tribe" Hebrew folk living in Ethiopia/Eritrea, the descendants of King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba).

DeaconR 12-09-2005, 08:20 AM What mideast meltdown are you talking about, Targan? I've never heard about it. The TW2000 canon as far as I know shows that Israel still exists and that they have forces in the RDF.

However, your scenario about Mossad and other friendly intelligence agencies making themselves useful to the US as appropriate in CONUS does make sense to me.

The Ethiopia thing is interesting as well. I knew about that but I find it interesting that you depict it in your game.

Rainbow Six 12-09-2005, 04:57 PM Personally, I think it's less likely that any 'friendly' foreign agents operating on US soil, be they British, Israeli, or whoever would simply offer assistance to the US Government(s) without instruction from their home nation, and that such assistance may well come at a price. Of course, that price might ultimately be passage back to their respective home country, whether that be the UK / Israel / wherever.

DeaconR 12-10-2005, 08:38 AM I believe that entirely depends upon the situation. They MIGHT just quietly try to do their duty, as for instance the Free City of Krakow module suggests. However, remember that things are cracking apart if they have not already. What people do may vary quite widely.

In my game, the British characters expect (or hope) to be evacuated from the United States, but don't know when they can expect that to be. In the meantime they are part of a group of British personnel and expats who are helping with restoration efforts on the East Coast. One of the players told me that his character was able to keep going and not lose hope because of the character's belief that he would return home one day.