RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 12-10-2008, 12:42 AM

Default Your favorite weapons U.S

OK everyone you all know that I am a firearms nerd and I surf the internet in search of the perfect pictures of guns. I decided to make "your favorites" post of T2K weapons so here are mine. I decided to choose only U.S weapons for this one, because there are so many firearms I like. All of the weapons selected are older not cutting edge by todays standards but have been in U.S. inventories in the past, and could have been obtained in the 80's and 90's. Clearly firearms from the Vietnam Era strongly shaped my interest in firearms as a child

Maine Battle Rifle:
M14
But I would take an M14 in any configuration I could get my hands on. While most had the selector switch blocked the one in the picture has the happy switch I wouldn't mind having this feature if possible, then I could function as an automatic rifleman if need be but its not necessary. Though I would prefer the fiber glass stock to a wood one. Replaced by the M16A1 its possible that it could be obtained from National guard units or USN.
Name:  m14_1.jpg
Views: 1849
Size:  10.5 KB

Assault Rifle:
CAR-15 (XM 177E1)
Lighter and handier than the M4 also I prefer Full-auto over 3 round burst. Might have to obtain this from Air force. But if I have to carry an M16 it aught to at look cool at least. Probably it would be difficult to obtain. Though the Air force carried the GAU-5/A until recently replaced by M4's.
Name:  XM177e1a.jpg
Views: 1898
Size:  48.2 KB

Shotgun:
Ithaca M37
Simple reliable and well made, loads and ejects through the port in the bottom which helps to keep dirt out of the action. Give me a claymore bag full of 00 buckshot and I would be really happy.It's unlikely that very many of these would be languishing in unit inventories by the 1980's and 90's most having been sold off to police stations.Name:  ithaca37hs.jpg
Views: 2383
Size:  7.8 KB

Sub Machine gun:
M3A1 (grease gun)
no frills .45ACP sub machine gun, still in U.S. inventories with Tankers in the 1990's.Name:  M3A1GreaseGun.jpg
Views: 2282
Size:  41.0 KB

Pistol:
1911A1 MEU SOC
A 1911A1 customized by USMC armorers as Qauntico VA. And issued to the Marine Expeditionary Units and Force recon. Basically a custom rebuilt 1911A1 with a National Stock number. I would carry this in a M7 holster holster because it looks salty as hell. But I would also settle for a Bianchi UM-84.
Attached Images

Last edited by Brother in Arms; 12-10-2008 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:00 AM

For my part I'll chose an even older weapon and one of British origin, dating back to WW1: the Lee Enfield. That choice come from a true story that occured in 1914. When facing a british company equipped with these rifles a unit of german cavalry (Uhlan) withdrew. The fire rate was so high that they believed they were facing several machine guns. Actually, another version of this rifle was still the regular firearm of the British Army during WW2 and it could compete with the M1 Garand.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2008, 01:05 AM

Well there are lots of US weapons that I think are cool but I'm too proud to name a favourite based on pictures I've seen and stats I've read so my favourite based on weapons I've actually handled and fired would have to be the Colt 1911 .45 (drop them enemies DRT that weapon). I've handled and/or fired other weapons that the US military uses but that weren't designed and/or manufactured in the US that I thought were pretty cool (Beretta 92, FN Minimi and GPMG (what you Americans call the M-240) for instance).

No need for me to include a photo of the Colt .45 as BIA's post has one. I like Mohender's choice but it isn't a US weapon. My favourite weapon of all time continues to be the one I've fired the most and had the most military training with, the FN SLR. If the enemy is in sight within 600m and I have an SLR I can guarantee you pink mist.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:34 AM

I know its not US but I just couldn't resist!

Australian SLR L1A1\
Yet another wonderful battle rifle, I would also be more than happy to carry. There is just something about the 7.62X51mm round.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2008, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan
I like Mohender's choice but it isn't a US weapon.
True but it was the first weapon that came to my mind. For a US weapon I would take the M1 Carbine. This time, I'm not sure I know why, simply because I always found that weapon to be cool I guess. Very elegant also .
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2008, 02:22 AM

I'm a fan of the M14 (Ice Station Zebra).

I prefer wood stocks, although i understand they can warp whereas plastic (?) doesnt. Call me old fashioned.

I hate to admit it, but i dont mind the barrett .50 either. It strikes me as too "rambo" but ... a guilty pleasure maybe?
Old 12-10-2008, 02:54 AM

I'd have to say the L1A1 / FN-FAL too - I've got a character in a GURPS Black-Ops game set in 1961 who's a 40 year old former Commando, breif sojourn in SOE and reactivated with MI6 during the Korean War. His favourite long-arm is an L1A1 modified to allow full-auto, with a wooden stock rather than the GRP one (because theres no point whacking someone with a bit of plastic), then fitted with a telescopic sight and removable supressor (which on the L1A1 fits over the barrel and barely increases overall length). Otherwise he uses weapons suitable for his cover ID.
And like me, he'd also like the vintage SMLE.

I've always rather liked the Sterling SMG, probably because I grew up on a diet of old WW2 movies and thought the Sten gun was the greatest thing ever. (NB, and when I used to play online WW2 shooter Day of Defeat, for some reason the Sten gun always seemed more accurate and powerful than the German MP40. But then they also deliberately borked the Garand and K43)

Old 12-10-2008, 03:07 AM
The Stat Guy

I know a lot of US troops hate it, but I did love the M-60. It was perfectly-sized for a short troop like myself.

I was instructor-qualified on the M-203 and the Dragon ATGM, but frankly I wasn't impressed with either of them.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 12-10-2008, 04:06 AM

Default m1/m2 carbine

Maybe not my favourite of all time ,but still has a lot of strong points :

tested & rugged - WWII/Korea/Vietnam etc

manufactured in great numbers -parts ammo prolific

handy -it really is not much more wieldy than a smg with stock

versatile round - comparable to the .357 magnum handgun round in terms of
ballistsics ,penetration ,stopping power

someone of small stature could use one like a teenager or lithe woman etc
Old 12-10-2008, 04:15 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

The M1928-A1

For some reason this weapon has always been my favorite.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2008, 05:45 AM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

I'll throw in another vote for the M1 carbine (bonus points for a folding-stocked M1A1). Sure, it doesn't have the range or energy of a battle rifle, but for short range or civilian defensive use, I think it's a better PDW than many of the modern designs. The "Enforcer" pistol variants are close to silly, but a 30-round magazine of .30 carbine in a package that small has some interesting possibilities.

I'm also a big fan of technological dead ends and might-have-beens. Accordingly, I'll present something that saw only very limited service with U.S. forces: the Johnson M1941. Image is linked to the Box o' Truth article:

.30-06 semi-auto, internal rotary magazine, and just looks cool as the day is long. Definitely on the list for my C&R collection when I win the lottery.

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson
Old 12-10-2008, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13
The M1928-A1

For some reason this weapon has always been my favorite.
You are residing in Chicago. Are you sure you don't know why?
Old 12-10-2008, 05:56 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain

well give me a couple of these:

and one of these
Old 12-10-2008, 06:42 AM
The Stat Guy

Yeah, I'll take a big, modified recoilless rifle that fires a tactical nuclear warhead that puts me in its own blast radius...

Old 12-10-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
Yeah, I'll take a big, modified recoilless rifle that fires a tactical nuclear warhead that puts me in its own blast radius...
Took the words right out of my mouth

Grae
Old 12-10-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
An old Sci-Fi RPG game I played once (Spacemaster, I think - hideously long rules with pages of crits in the back) had nuclear hand grenades, kill zone of 0.5 miles....the GM couldnt see what I was laughing at
Old 12-10-2008, 09:59 AM

Props to the M1 and M2 Carbine. Great rifles, light weight comfortable to shoot and fairly accurate. 30 carbine isn't the biggest kid on the block but it will do the job. PLus you can carry a ton of the stuff without being weighed down.
The M1A1 stock makes it even handier. Just wish the ammo was more plentiful, Isreal is probably where it is the most common today. Though I suspect its still abundant in south east Asia as well.

Kato13
I know why you like the Thompson.....One of its nick names it the Chicago type writer after all. You need one to deal with those corrupt Illinois governors! Not surprised by that guy at all you can't trust a guy with hair like that.

TEG
If you johnson rifle check out the Johnson M1941 LMG.

Gen'l

Its hard to beat the M28 Davy Crockett weapons sytem! But its exactly what I want if godzilla shows up.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother in Arms
TEG
If you johnson rifle check out the Johnson M1941 LMG.
Ah, the American FG 42

Despite having an awkward single-column magazine, the extra 5 pounds must have made it easier to control in full auto than the FG 42.

http://copeab.tripod.com

Last edited by copeab; 12-10-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Elite Couch Commando

Send a message via Yahoo to Twilight2000v3MM

I got to fire a semi auto Johnson LMG. It was different and man it beat a BAR hands down IMHO.

For sheer "Twlight:2013" play... an M-16A4 if I can get rid of that damned 3rnd burst!! M-4s are nice but the rifle is just cool for some reason.

Max
Old 12-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender
You are residing in Chicago. Are you sure you don't know why?
That is probably true to an extent. This city is perversely proud of our "tommygun" history.

"That's the Chicago Way"
Old 12-10-2008, 02:50 PM

I may be wrong, but weren't all the M1 carbines dumped on the South Koreans? Or was that the M1 rifle when the M14 was picked up? I'm confused.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:59 PM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Borg
An old Sci-Fi RPG game I played once (Spacemaster, I think - hideously long rules with pages of crits in the back) had nuclear hand grenades, kill zone of 0.5 miles....the GM couldnt see what I was laughing at
lol..priceless.

regardless...a remote controll can be used on about everything...and even in a post-apocalyptic scenario I rather have my finger on the butten than somebody elses.

Could be enough to get a town/city fear you ...or possibly kill you ...depends on GM....

on the other hand I'd love to get my hands on an old Ppsh-41 or possibly a 1936 Sauer Trilling with 1x30-30 and 2x 12gauge.(had a customer talk to me about his in the shop the other day...)
Old 12-10-2008, 04:31 PM

3mm
if you don't like 3rnd burst you could swap the lower from a M4A1 carbine and put the upper of the M16A4. And you get the benefit of a collapsing stock as well as FA. The collapsing stock is extremely useful with body armor, winter clothes or even web gear or tactical vests. All of of those things reduce your length of pull.

ADM.LEE
not all the M1 and M2 carbines or M1 Garands for that matter have been dumped on Korea though they did get many of them. Many have been given away or sold for next to nothing to several different country's. Though none of the above are currently being used by the U.S. military (except the M1 possibly in ceremonial services) but the Civilian marksmanship program still sells M1 carbines and M1 rifles though supplies are dwindling. Many of these rifles are in the hands of civilians as a lot where re-imported back from places like Korea and sold to the public. The M14 is about the oldest rifle our military still uses and only limitedly as a DMR rifle.

General I'll second the PPSH-41 its one of my favorite firearms ever produced. Nothing like 72 rounds of 7.62x25mm to show someone how unhappy you are with them.

Brother in Arms
Old 12-10-2008, 06:10 PM

We had some Marauders using PPSHs on us once, they hosed a local guide (he was KIA) and two of our group were wounded. The resulting hail of 5.56 and 7.62 in response discouraged any further activity, and when they got up from their ditch and ran across a field, they got ventilated and stayed down. Interesting mix of weapons: two PPSHs, an StG-44 (or MP-44), a pair of SKS carbines, a RPD light MG, and two original AK-47s. Kept the MP-44 as a war trophy, another SEAL grabbed the other one, and we gave the other weapons to the local militia (all they had were some shotguns and sporting rifles).

Old USMC Adage
Old 12-10-2008, 09:58 PM

Awesome war story Matt!
Sounds like a great exchange...the marauders where pretty well armed sounds like you and your group got out of it pretty good.

I would have kept the RPD, Its a Great Light machine gun. Im sure the local security force was happy.

Brother in Arms
Old 12-10-2008, 10:03 PM

Those guys must've had a brain fart because ten or so guys with no heavy weapons weren't going to stop the convoy we had. They just saw the lead vehicle and opened fire. However, every vehicle in the convoy went to the sound of the guns....first on-scene was our captured T-72 with the M-113 I was in right behind the tank. As soon as they realized they'd bit off more than they could chew, these clowns made their next (and fatal) mistake-run across an open field with lots of automatic weapons (and even a tank gun) firing on them....no prisoners taken.

Old USMC Adage
Old 12-11-2008, 01:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother in Arms
Kato13
I know why you like the Thompson.....One of its nick names it the Chicago type writer after all. You need one to deal with those corrupt Illinois governors! Not surprised by that guy at all you can't trust a guy with hair like that.
Nah a microphone works much better than a gun when they are that stupid.

His hair is a bit other worldly isn't it
Old 12-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Elite Couch Commando

Send a message via Yahoo to Twilight2000v3MM

[QUOTE=Brother in Arms]3mm
if you don't like 3rnd burst you could swap the lower from a M4A1 carbine and put the upper of the M16A4. And you get the benefit of a collapsing stock as well as FA. The collapsing stock is extremely useful with body armor, winter clothes or even web gear or tactical vests. All of of those things reduce your length of pull. "

Or I could just change the trigggers out :-)
Old 12-14-2008, 11:30 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13
Nah a microphone works much better than a gun when they are that stupid.

His hair is a bit other worldly isn't it
I love what Amy Pohler said on Saturday Night Live: "It looks like his toupee is wearing a toupee!"

Old 12-14-2008, 11:33 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Lee
I may be wrong, but weren't all the M1 carbines dumped on the South Koreans? Or was that the M1 rifle when the M14 was picked up? I'm confused.
They were both pretty much dumped everywhere! We were handing out M-1 and M-2 Carbines to the ARVNs as late as 1972. Filipino insurgents are using M-1 Garands and M-14s made in China. Those weapons are going to be around a long, long time.

Tags
united states, weapons