RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 03-24-2021, 11:37 AM

Default Battle map/city map maker?

Need help locating a good (and easy to use) map maker for battle and city map creation that would include modern assets. Everything I find seems to be pretty much solely for fantasy or sci-fi, not modern. Anyone got suggestions?
Old 03-25-2021, 02:13 AM
A bad tomato

Would Google Maps do it for you? Just steal a city from the real world and use it. Using that method helps me run my game. No drawing no need for that, and you get a lot of potential detail for free, as hedges and walls around houses.

I am a tomato, to some.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:14 AM

I have both Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Dungeon Painter Studio

Both of them can have more modern tile sets. You can create additional file directories and place modern things like tanks, fox holes, street tiles, modern building designs into the design engines. There are some modding forums out there that describe how to do it for both.

As to the ease of use, I think that Dungeon Painter has the less amount of tools to use and feels fairly easy with click and drops and arrangements. Yet, I still need to work on my skills with it to say it is super easy.

While Campaign Cartographer 3+ is basically a CAD like program reskinned to do maps and you can get additional parts of it to do cities as well as major regions. I have been trying to grapple with this one and there is an 800+ page manual, of which 100 of the pages is strictly on how to use the software and draw something. While the other 700 pages is how to try and become a master in the program. I got this when it was up for sale cheap at Humble Bumble. So I got about US$100 worth of product for less then US$20.

At the same time, I have heard from some friends you can get GIMP and have done any sort of image fiddling, you can use some of the virtual table top stuff for sale at DTRPG to create your own maps easier than any pro or semi-pro piece of software.
Old 03-25-2021, 11:44 AM

I do use Google maps for the overview, but I was thinking more about making battlemaps, or some parts of a city with ruins. That kind of thing.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:34 AM
A bad tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by recon35 View Post
I do use Google maps for the overview, but I was thinking more about making battlemaps, or some parts of a city with ruins. That kind of thing.
Ah, in that case, go with Southernap. I do everything on Google Maps as I stream it over Discord to the group.

I am a tomato, to some.