RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2014, 11:27 AM

Default Scandinavia during T2K?

What happens in happens to these countries when it comes to Twilight Cannon?

I think Norway, Sweden and especially Finland! are countries I would like to visit. Not so much Iceland or Denmark. But I am curious about them during WW3.

Brother in Arms
Old 04-07-2014, 01:39 PM
Activist Rules Lawyer

I don't have my books handy but Norway gets invaded by the Soviets. There is a 1s edition module called Boomer that gives a timeline of Norway in T2k. UK, US, Canada and Netherlands commit troops to Norway and help the Norwegians fight the invaders. Norway gets nuked, at least the capital, not sure of anywhere else. Oh and the Norwegian Royal Guard in 2000 includes the oldest surviving Navy SEAL.*spoiler about the SEAL below*

Finland is mentioned in the timeline. It also gets invaded first by NATO as they try to outflank the Soviets. NATO expects the resistance to be light and token, but it isn't and this delays the offensive. The Soviets see this resistance as a signal that Finland is on the Soviet side so they invade as well, but the Finns fight the Soviets as hard as they do NATO.

Sweden is mentioned in a series of sourcebooks published by a Finnish (I think) company. I can't read Finnish so I can't comment on what they say. There are some forum members who are Finnish and read the books.

Hey what do you know, I remember John Farson posted some stuff from them.

Twilight 2000 Nordic Sourcebook: Living conditions in the Nordic countries
http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=3886

Twilight 2000 Nordic Sourcebook: Organizations
forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=3906

Twilight 2000 Nordic Sourcebook: Countries
forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=3903

-bdd

*spoiler about the oldest surviving Navy SEAL*

there is a chance in any firefight that he will go catatonic, can't remember the percentages, but he'd stop shooting and go curl up in the fetal position (ok making that last part about curling up in the fetal position, can't remember the exact wording)
Old 04-07-2014, 06:34 PM

I'll have to look through my PDF files, but if I'm right Scandinavia is talked about, particularly Norway since part of an adventure takes place there in the gaming module "Boomer" in the Last Submarine series.
"The use of force is always an answer to problems. Whether or not it's a satisfactory answer depends on a number of things, not least the personality of the person making the determination. Force isn't an attractive answer, though. I would not be true to myself or to the people I served with in 1970 if I did not make that realization clear."
— David Drake
Old 04-08-2014, 06:37 AM
Banned

Norway is one of the places the war is still going on in 2001 as a hot war - the Boomer module shows the Soviets invading again and the Norwegians fighting back with basically what is left of their army plus stranded NATO troops - it implies that the Norwegian counteroffensive will be the last one of the war for them

As to the Finns - never saw if they were hit by nukes but you have to think if they fought as hard as they did that probably Helsinki must have gotten hit
Old 04-09-2014, 12:39 PM

To my mind Norway is entirely winnable by the Norwegians + NATO in '01, but of course I'm treading on the sacred ground of "NATO must be destroyed/America has to lose".
Old 04-09-2014, 01:43 PM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketenjagdpanzer View Post
To my mind Norway is entirely winnable by the Norwegians + NATO in '01, but of course I'm treading on the sacred ground of "NATO must be destroyed/America has to lose".
I have trouble envisioning a T2k in which any nation or coalition "wins."

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson
Old 04-09-2014, 10:05 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketenjagdpanzer View Post
I wouldn't call it "sacred ground" but in the context of the game, the world had to be severely screwed up to allow for what the designer's intended.That intention was basically, allow people to play adventures of the AD&D feel in a modern setting where the PCs had access to modern military/adventuring/outdoors gear but didn't have any higher authority telling them what to do all the time.

And as for NATO being destroyed and America losing, same applies to all the other combatants - things are tough all over, they have to be to make the game world playable. For example, the US is ruined so that the players can have scenarios just like they encountered in Europe.

It's all about world design to get the best environment for the players to game in but that doesn't mean you have to slavishly follow every one of the designers ideas. The flip side to that is why change the game setting so much that it no longer resembles the setting that drew your attention in the first place?
Tweaking is good but if a nation like the USSR, China or the USA was relatively intact and didn't need the PCs help or was too powerful for the PCs to prevail against, that removes a lot of the potential adventures the players can have. If Norway survived relatively intact however, it's one little island of stability and safety in the turbulent sea of chaos, torment and decay that is the rest of the world and having Norway intact doesn't remove the amount of adventure options in the world that an intact USA would remove for example.

Anyways, that's my thoughts on the matter.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:49 AM

Swedish Sourcebook is up Before 1st of June 2014.

Been AFK around 18 months.

Just have to clean up the pages.

Antti "Antenna"

Last edited by Antenna; 04-22-2014 at 01:54 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:36 AM
Registered Registrant

Hi Antenna, I tried to visit your site at www.ludd.ltu.se/~antenna/t2k/index.htm but it's saying the site is Not Found.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:14 AM

I had to take down the pages for some reason or so. And make a mending effort for the pages from outside Sweden was to hard I can tell.

But now I am home again and I gonna make an effort when I have settled down at home.

Antenna
Old 04-17-2017, 03:04 PM

Nordic Sourcebook as collected from the four other topics listed in this forum (go search "Nordic Sourcebook"; I'll wait).

John Farson, I believe, did the translation. I cannot tell you how complete it is, nor how canonical GDW felt it was.

All I did was put it into an MS Word file, assign heading levels, ran spell check.

I did write the last page, about Reindeer.

Uncle Ted
Attached Files
File Type: docx Nordic Sourcebook.docx (88.3 KB, 69 views)