RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 07-20-2020, 07:35 PM
Banned

Default CARPATO — The Carpathian Theater of Operations new release on drivethrurpg.com

This 11"x17" PDF map is for RPGs set in an alternate history where WWIII happened in the late 1990s.

It shows the territory to the south of Poland across the Carpathian mountains down to the Adriatic Sea, and depicts all of Hungary, along with parts of Austria, Czechoslovakia, Yogoslavia, Romania, and Italy. All of the place names and roads were copied from a Cold War era map of the region.

This digital product includes two maps: a regular version of the map, as well as one with a 20km indexed hex grid overlayed to assist with running it as a sandbox

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...-tKJwKFE9AHahI
Old 07-20-2020, 08:24 PM
Registered Registrant

It's worth mentioning that the same company also has a Trans-Caucasian map as well.
From the website: -
"This map specifically covers the Trans-caucasian region of the southwest U.S.S.R. covering the area between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea, including Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, as well as parts of northeast Turkey and northwest Iran."

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ttest_filtered
Old 07-21-2020, 06:33 AM

Be nice if they do most of East Europe into Central USSR.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpipes View Post
Be nice if they do most of East Europe into Central USSR.
For all we know, they're working on it already? I do wonder what mapping software they're using. It looks boffo!

"Red Star, Burning Streets" by Cavalier Books, 2020

https://epochxp.tumblr.com/ - EpochXperience - Contributing Blogger since October 2020. (A Division of SJR Consulting).
Old 07-21-2020, 10:00 PM

Another one showing the rest of Iran and part of Iraq is also called for. Be nice if they're working on it.

Old USMC Adage
Old 07-21-2020, 10:28 PM
Registered Registrant

I bought both of these and to be brutal, I was a little disappointed that they covered a relatively small area. From the description I was expecting a larger area to be shown.
That's no fault of the maps, they're still very useful and fit in nicely with the maps we've seen in T2k, that was simply my assumptions coming in to play but like mpipes and Matt Wiser, I'd really like to see more of those regions mapped out.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
I bought both of these and to be brutal, I was a little disappointed that they covered a relatively small area. From the description I was expecting a larger area to be shown.
That's no fault of the maps, they're still very useful and fit in nicely with the maps we've seen in T2k, that was simply my assumptions coming in to play but like mpipes and Matt Wiser, I'd really like to see more of those regions mapped out.
Are they detailed enough to run a campaign, especially the Carpathian one and are they worth the money. Thanks
Old 07-22-2020, 04:21 AM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post
Are they detailed enough to run a campaign, especially the Carpathian one and are they worth the money. Thanks
They are very much like the map supplied in the 1st Ed. box and in the module "Going Home" although they cover a smaller region than those maps.
They both come as a base map and also as a map with hex overlay.
I think the Trans-Caucasian map is better value because it comes with many more iterations of the map but considering that they're both on discounted sale at the moment, I think they are worth buying if you intend to run a campaign in the area (or you're a collection nerd like me).
Old 07-22-2020, 12:02 PM

Purchased the European map and I really like it
Covers an area from Belgrade in the south to Prague in the north and would be perfect to run a Danube campaign from Belgrade to Budapest, Bratislava and Vienna.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:40 PM
Registered Registrant

I should have mentioned as well, that because these maps cover a smaller region than the maps from the 1st Ed. box and Going Home, they give more detail per map (smaller scale, higher detail) so are subjectively more useful.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:43 PM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

I believe the designer posts here as jedo. He's also responsible for building a numbered hex version of the original T2k boxed set map and indexing it with canon unit and encounter locations:

https://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=4766

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson
Old 07-22-2020, 08:44 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegyrius View Post
I believe the designer posts here as jedo. He's also responsible for building a numbered hex version of the original T2k boxed set map and indexing it with canon unit and encounter locations:

https://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=4766

- C.
Going back to that thread, I'll note that most of the links I posted are still valid but at least two of them are now in the realm of "404".
Specifically the pages relating to the tram network in Krakow and while the first link can be found again on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine, the maps from this first link were not able to be preserved.
https://web.archive.org/web/20100413...comment-page-1
I wasn't able to find an archived copy of the second link I originally posted but this archived post lists some of the historic tram stops in the city: -
http://www.krakowpost.com/5522/2012/...-around-krakow