RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 12-29-2019, 02:30 PM

Default New Solo Campaign

I have decided to run a solo campaign of Twilight:2000 as a way to renew my familiarity with the rules and to refresh my skills as a GM. At this point, it has been nearly a decade since I last played a pen-and-paper RPG, about 15 years since I last GM’d a game of any kind, and something like 25 years since I last GM’d a game of Twilight:2000! I will be using version one rules during this campaign, with a few house rules added.

I will be posting the sessions on my personal blog, Gunner's Gouge - https://gunnersgouge.blogspot.com/.

The full introduction will go up on January 1st, PCs will be posted on Friday January 3rd, and then I will post one session a week, on Fridays. I already have nearly 20 posts written and ready to go, so I am hoping to keep playing to keep up after that. My plan is, once I've run this campaign, I'm going to play it with real players starting hopefully around May...

When Twilight:2000 (version one) was first published in 1984, it depicted events 16 years in the future. I’m advancing the general Twilight:2000 version 2.2 timeline 10 more years in the future, to the year 2030.

My campaign will take place in the area south of Memphis, Tennessee, starting just after July 4th, 2030. I am using the background described in the U.S. Army Vehicle Guide and the adventure Airlords of the Ozarks, as well as some material from Howling Wilderness (which carried the original version one timeline through May, 2001 [May, 2031 in my universe]).

Airlords of the Ozarks has always been among my favorite Twilight:2000 modules, I’m sure it’s because because I grew up in those very Ozark mountains, and was living in northwest Arkansas (and playing Twilight:2000 version one) when I picked up the module at my friendly local gaming store. My group was still playing through Europe, and we broke up before getting the PCs back to the Americas, so I’ve never played Airlords of the Ozarks with a real group, but I’ve lived in both Northwest and Central Arkansas and have either lived in, or at least visited many of the towns in the module. I’ve also driven many of the major roads in the northern half of Arkansas.

TIMELINE CHANGES

At this point, I am not going to worry too much about specific timeline changes. The details of what battle happened where or what political event occurred, in what year, leading up to the Twilight War aren’t really important. What is important is the results - the widespread breakdown of civil society across the planet and especially in the United States, leading to the current efforts to rebuild.

Blytheville Air Force Base was shut down in 1992, after T2K was originally published. However, as of January 1, 2020, it is still being used as a maintenance facility for civil aircraft; as an aircraft storage facility; and as a facility for refurbishing used aircraft and for recycling unwanted aircraft into both spare parts and scrap material. As such, the runway is well maintained to allow large jets to come and (sometimes) go.

It is also regularly used for training by U.S. Air Force and Air National Guard aircraft. In a time of crisis, like the run up to the Twilight War, it might very well be used as a disbursement field for nuclear-armed bombers, and thus still become a nuclear target… (There has even been talk of restarting production of nuclear-armed Tomahawk missiles, so maybe the premise behind Airlords of the Ozarks isn't so far fetched for a T2K game set in 2030…)

Let me know what you think, here or as comments on the blog where the content will be posted. I will try to post a short note here every time a new blog post goes up, but I plan to keep the bulk of the content on the blog, because it may get graphics heavy at times...
Old 01-04-2020, 10:16 PM

I'm looking forward to following along Gunner. I've often put single, or up to 3 PCs together and ran them across a week of hard grind in solo play. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:40 PM

Thanks.

The first three posts are up.

Introduction, Notes, and House Rules:
https://gunnersgouge.blogspot.com/20...notes-and.html

The PCs and their equipment:
https://gunnersgouge.blogspot.com/20...equipment.html

Orders from Headquarters:
https://gunnersgouge.blogspot.com/20...dquarters.html

Next post is Friday, then every Friday morning after that.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:45 PM

looking forward to it
Old 01-17-2020, 03:48 PM

Any chance of enabling email subscriptions?
Old 01-18-2020, 02:17 PM

Dunno. I'll look into it.

Right now, I've just got stuff scheduled for every Friday morning...
Old 01-19-2020, 08:05 AM

I think I've got "Follow By Email" enabled. Let me know if it doesn't work...
Old 02-02-2020, 08:04 AM

So, "Blake's Raiders" have finally left Memphis and his mounted scouts are making a patrol...

https://gunnersgouge.blogspot.com/20...st-patrol.html