RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2009, 06:58 PM

Default I met a genuine Russian today!

I was out and about and stopped at Target (Department store) and these two guys were outside on a bench speaking a language I didn't recognize. They were still there when I came out so I asked them what language it was. Russkies in Baytown, Texas! Who'd have thunk it! They told me where they were from, I couldn't pronounce it, never heard of it, said it was near the Pacific. They were "tourists" I think they came over to work, and now they were just out sightseeing. Didn't think to much of Baytown, but I don't blame them. South Texas in the middle of summer ain't the place to be.

WOLVERINE! THEY"RE HERE!
Old 07-18-2009, 08:03 PM
The end is nigh!!!

Well.... when I was in Cuba on vacation in April, I met a lot of rich (and hot looking) Russians. They are the new rich tourist of the world.

Last edited by Cdnwolf; 08-23-2009 at 05:48 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:33 AM

In 1990/1991 I was working on a privatisation contract for the British Government in Hastings (a has been seaside resort on the South Coast - Americans think some of those New Jersey type places for atmosphere). Soon after the Wall came down I met a couple of hefty guys who had walked into my local with three good looking girls.

As they wanted to play pool and I had the table we had no option but to chat together. As I was quite keen on the girls and they wanted to practice their English this turned into a bit of a session. They were over for language lessons and one of the guys mentioned they had real difficulty getting visas to come to the UK.

I explained to them that I didn't live in Hastings per se but that I was staying there while I worked and that I actually lived near Stevenage (a town with about 100,000 people 30 miles North of London). When I mentioned this they gave each other big grins and said "We know Stevenage - British Aerospace Guided Weapons, Hawker Siddeley Dynamics Satelite Division, Martin Baker Ejection Seats..."

While they were buying the next round I asked the best looking of the three girls how they knew so much about Stevenage - were they spies? And the answer was that they had been a Major and a Captain in the Soviet strategic rocket forces based near Moscow before being riffed a few months earlier - Stevenage was obviously on a tartget list. They were now in business building dachas.

At the time it slightly took me aback to meet two guys who had their finger on the button to vapourise me a year or so before - but they were nice blokes...
Old 07-19-2009, 04:17 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by weswood View Post
I was out and about and stopped at Target (Department store) and these two guys were outside on a bench speaking a language I didn't recognize. They were still there when I came out so I asked them what language it was. Russkies in Baytown, Texas! Who'd have thunk it! They told me where they were from, I couldn't pronounce it, never heard of it, said it was near the Pacific. They were "tourists" I think they came over to work, and now they were just out sightseeing. Didn't think to much of Baytown, but I don't blame them. South Texas in the middle of summer ain't the place to be.

WOLVERINE! THEY"RE HERE!
Tell them to come up to San Antonio or Houston -- the weather's not any better, but there's a lot more to see.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 07-19-2009, 12:42 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

You met a Russian? Did they have tails and horns and burst into flames upon contact with sunlight?
Old 07-19-2009, 01:04 PM
The Stat Guy

Did they have a lot of vodka and have submachineguns not even available to the Russian military?

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 07-19-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester View Post
You met a Russian? Did they have tails and horns and burst into flames upon contact with sunlight?
Actually they were nice young men sitting in the sunshine drinking hot beer. Yech!
Old 07-19-2009, 05:07 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weswood View Post
Actually they were nice young men sitting in the sunshine drinking hot beer. Yech!

Sitting in the sun drinking warm beer!

that alone tells you they are minions of the underworld! Beer is meant to be be drunk cold while sitting in the shade. Hmmmmm, and that makes me want to have one...be right back
Old 07-20-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:

that alone tells you they are minions of the underworld! Beer is meant to be be drunk cold while sitting in the shade. Hmmmmm, and that makes me want to have one...be right back
That makes britain the doorstep of hell (no offense). Always thought that the british had something disturbing.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:

NO!! Beer, except the psss they peddle in the US under the name of beer, is ment to be drunk at room temperature.. of course the room should be less than 62 degrees F.