RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 09-09-2011, 05:39 PM

Default British Army ORBAT (James Langham)

Expanded version of the canon one. I have made one or two MINOR changes and have noted these (e.g. renamed 1st Royal Marine Brigade to 3rd Commando Brigade (Royal Marines)).

There may be minor rewrites as I change details to match bits I have still to write.

Comments as ever welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf British Army ORBAT on 01-Jan-01 09-09-11.pdf (143.9 KB, 269 views)
Old 09-10-2011, 05:27 AM
In your own time, go on...

Looks good, just wondering where you are getting the RAuxAF Regiment squadrons from, as their real-life recruiting areas don't seem to match up with the ones you have given them. For example, 2620 Squadron is County of Norfolk, rather than City of Cardiff, and 2623 is East Anglian, rather than City of Birmingham. Both squadrons have existed in that form since the 1980s, and the same goes for most of the other RAuxAF Regiment units.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:36 AM

Good job, lots of detail. Well done coming up with something that fits with canon.

Couple of comments...

You've got a few duplications...you have 1st Battalion, Coldstream Guards with 54th Infantry Brigade in the UK and with 8th Infantry Brigade in Northern Ireland, 2nd Coldstreams in Iceland and with the 33rd Armoured Brigade in Germany and 1st / 10th PMO's Gurkha Rifles in Brunei and with the BAOR as part of 6th Airmobile Brigade. 7 Royal Anglian are listed as part of 2nd Brigade and subordinate to Leicester City Council.

Most of the Guards Battalions didn't follow conventional numbering terms for their Companies - e.g. in place of an A Company 1st Grenadiers have a Queen's (or King's when the Sovereign is male) and 1st Welsh Guards have a Prince of Wales' Company. The other Companies use numbers and not letters (if I recall correctly the Scots Guards were a law unto themselves - 2nd Battalion used Right Flank, Left Flank, and Centre for their Companies).

Whilst I fully appreciate the role Scottish troops have played at Balaklava, Waterloo, etc those were British battles. I think it's more likely that an SNP leadership would consider using something more distinctly Scottish for the Company names for the Royal Army of Scotland reserve Companies, but that's maybe just me...there'd almost certainly be a Flodden Company (that said, imho I think it's highly unlikely that said SNP leadership would call their army "Royal" - who exactly does this prefix refer to!? However, that's probably a separate point)

A lot of your TA deployments are quite different to what they would probably have been IRL but I presume that's intentional to try and fit in with canon.

Just a few thoughts...
Old 09-11-2011, 04:44 AM

Thanks for the feedback, it was really useful. I have updated it to remove duplicates and renumber Guards companies plus one or two other minor tweaks.

The Royal Army of Scotland is a term from the Survivor's Guide, I'm not sure on the term Royal either but it's canon. I have used names of famous battle honours of Scottish regiments as my guess is that the NEC will not want to throw away the great Scottish military tradition. I have also expanded the RAS to 6 battalions after rereading the Survivor's Guide to bring it into line with canon (two are still forming).

RAF Regiment wise I will go back and check. I had taken them from my RAF Regiment write up.

TA units were initially matched to where they were assigned. I then modified by Options for Changed (revised in my background), moved them around for actions during the war (some were returned to the UK after the nuclear exchanges) and some were arbitrarily changed to keep regular units where they were assigned in canon.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf British Army ORBAT on 01-Jan-01 10-09-11.pdf (157.5 KB, 181 views)
Old 09-11-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Langham View Post
The Royal Army of Scotland is a term from the Survivor's Guide, I'm not sure on the term Royal either but it's canon. I have used names of famous battle honours of Scottish regiments as my guess is that the NEC will not want to throw away the great Scottish military tradition. I have also expanded the RAS to 6 battalions after rereading the Survivor's Guide to bring it into line with canon (two are still forming).
Fair enough. IIRC correctly in addition to its six Battalions the RAS also has an elite reaction force and an armoured Battalion that somehow or other has acquired half a dozen Chieftain tanks and some CVR(T)'s.