RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 05-05-2009, 03:24 AM

Smile Post Apoc Punks

The Generals punk with AK put this question back into my mind. In every post apoc film from Mad Max on there are always punks running around with elaborate hair and make up. Where do they get the products for this? Is their scavengeing list something along the lines of;

Weapons
Big knives and chains
Make up
Dye
Gel and mousse
Leather bondage gear
Motorcycle
Curlers

Seriously, where do they plug the hair dryer in?
Old 05-05-2009, 05:04 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerCCW UK
The Generals punk with AK put this question back into my mind. In every post apoc film from Mad Max on there are always punks running around with elaborate hair and make up. Where do they get the products for this? Is their scavengeing list something along the lines of;

Weapons
Big knives and chains
Make up
Dye
Gel and mousse
Leather bondage gear
Motorcycle
Curlers

Seriously, where do they plug the hair dryer in?
well I guess human blood can be used as dye,gel and mousse - if u have a semi-cannibal style post ww3 setting....and I didn't know punks used hairdryers (the thought alone conserns me)
Old 05-05-2009, 05:11 AM

Default iron

I think hot irons for ironing shirts etc is what the hard cores use.

could well be hooked up to a ginny.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:00 AM

wash hand soap into your hair for dreadlocks, if thats your look. Or in a t2k sense just leave your hair unwashed.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Administrator

One could probably use motor oil or axle grease. I've seen some elaborate primitive hairdos that used mud.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 05-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

In high school an acquaintance of a friend used egg whites for his mohawk. I do remember in Road Warrior the compound had chickens, maybe they were not after the oil at all.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:48 AM

Default laquer/varnish and other PA hairproducts

I think I saw somewhere that certain products in this category could be usded for that 15 inch mohawk - I believe the hot iron was involved in this too.

But I want to debate -(I always do..?) :

So how far should a GM go to make his PCs alienated from his NPC cannonfodder ? Do you prefer the PCs operating in a moral grey zone ? ( Maybe Humungus was a visionary who would have ruled with a leather clad steel studded fist &thong until he had made the desert into a totalitarian garden of Eden and free elections could be held )

The classic example being leather and steel stud wearing motorcycle thugs wearing masks and goggles and generally being obnoxious fighting a bunch of peaceful homesteaders dressed in mellow earth tones and whites with good manners and chicks with freshly washed blond hair..?

Meaning - should the GM make the NPCs that get wasted by the PCs a faceless number /duck in the row to be riddled with bullets that are clearly evil and thus "righteous kills" ?

or should the killing be a dubious matter - maybe it comes to light that the marauder was stealing to feed a family,that they are refugess forced into the life of leather thongs and steel studs,have some flesh to the bone and humanity to throw the PCs aim of ..

general pains punk with AK is a classic example too - some will say typical PA bad guy that needs killing .

Maybe this one belongs in the playing style thread ...
Old 05-06-2009, 01:22 AM
Administrator

Given my only interaction with the mohawked acquaintance I mentioned above (whom I nearly called an enemy) was staring him down after his girlfriend came for help from myself and several friends after he had been slapping her around. He was the stereotypical leather and spike clad punk trying to make himself feel big by bullying. I guess since then I have a prejudice against mohawks. The fact that the girlfriend went back to him, only to get thrown down a flight of stairs by him (while pregnant with his child) only further reinforces it.

While I am not against throwing players a curve, most times the cover matches the book.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:01 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13
In high school an acquaintance of a friend used egg whites for his mohawk. I do remember in Road Warrior the compound had chickens, maybe they were not after the oil at all.
Wouldn't you end up with a cloud of insects around your head?

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 05-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
Wouldn't you end up with a cloud of insects around your head?
While I certainly would have wished a plague of locusts beset him, unfortunately it never happened.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Player to be named later

I knew a guy that used everything from egg whites to elmer's glue to snot for purposes of fixing his hair style. Bugs didn't seem to be much of an issue for him. I suspect the bugs were smart enough to avoid him.

As for the wild fashion sense, it may serve several purposes in a social and/or tactical sense:

1) It could serve as a status symbol, a way of showing that they have power or status because they can "afford" to wear something besides utilitarian farmer clothes.

2) It could serve a "psych-out" purpose, appearing frightening and unfamiliar to the peasants.

3) It could serve the same purposes of early uniforms, making it easier to identify one's teammates in the thick of a fight. In this case making it easy to tell the goats from the sheep I suppose.

Those are only a few of the purposes I can think of off the top of my head.

Tags
atmosphere, post apoc