RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default New 40mm ammunition

ReHerakhte 08-22-2005, 06:28 AM G'Day all,

Came across this today while I was trawling through the Post Apocalyptic Media site and hit a link to follow up on the product improved version of the South African 6-rd MGL

Now the new launcher is all very nice but the new ammunition is what really interested me. I have always considered that GDW did not understand that typical 40mm low velocity ammo is not as powerful as a hand thrown frag grenade and the blast radius should have been half of that used for the frag grenade. I have always cut down the blast radius of the 40mm ammo in my games to reflect the real world lethal radius of only 5 metres (compared to the average of about 15 metres for a hand grenade so in game terms, a hand frag grenade has B:12, so the 40mm should have about B:6).

However, MEI is now producing more lethal 40mm low velocity ammo that they claim doubles the lethal radius of current in service 40mm HE which will bring it closer in lethality to a hand grenade.

Okay, so that's all nice and good but is no help to anyone running T2k unless they delay the start of the war for about a decade but it will be of use in Merc: 2000 or Dark Conspiracy. But the new round that REALLY got my attention was the HUNTIR (High-Altitude, Unit Navigated, Tactical Imaging Round - yes you read that last part right, "imaging round", it carries a micro-camera). Its description is near the end of the section on ammunition. SO how about the actual link!

http://www.military.com/soldiertech/...soldiertech.nl

Cheers,

Kevin

Last edited by kato13; 02-08-2010 at 01:34 AM.

Tags
weapons