RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 06-01-2010, 07:55 PM

Default What about RUNEQUEST...as a source for archaic weapons?

Actually, if you check out Runequest, Twilight 2000, and Morrow Project, the systems complement each other very nicely and blend together well(I tend to suspect that GDW stole a lot of ideas from the other systems anyway--an original weapon idea of mine played a big role in their 2300 A.D. game system--stolen from me by Gene Flores and then stolen from him--served him right!).

A talented GM took a group of TW2K punks through a harrowing tour of the plains of Prax and exposed them to everything from trolls and trolkin to a major chaotic area filled with newly forming Gorp hole incursions...Ever wasted a few thousand rounds of ammunition on a bunch of mini-blobs(?)...

It was a great Swords and Sorcery confrontation with Modern gun-toting geeks. My favorite incidents in the session was the 30 year veteran marine force-recon type(run by a proto-typical MUNCH-KIN player) being forced to ride on the outside of the APC during a 5 mile chase because his right calf and his left thigh were pinned there by a steel ballista bolt. [the GM made sure his backside ended up full of crossbow bolts].

Of course, his character started the argument that his team lost to some very well organized and equipped "primitives". Variable dice damage and established weapon lists can also be adjusted from another of my all time beloved game systems, Metagamings "MELEE"...it works better on hex boards for larger combats and again shares a lot of the same ideas behind RQ, T2K, and MP*

The whole Society for Creative Anachronism structure of the Runequest rules made for a mindset covering close, medium, and far-away weaponry...and the critical hits system was far more fun to play that AFTERMATH was to criticize(!)...which was a collection of great ideas but, it really munched(very badly) as a playable system*

Comments(?).
Old 06-02-2010, 05:41 AM

Never played Runequest..sounds like fun.

One bored afternoon, came up with a little scenario for a group I was in....

Our intrepid group woke up......in XANTH!!!! The Piers Anthony universe in which almost everything and anything is a pun...And magic works....

I think I drove the gun-bunnies to drink and the science geeks to insanity...

A great day gaming.