I always liked your stuff.

Any plans for Portsmouth?
Old 07-19-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusilier View Post
I always liked your stuff.

Any plans for Portsmouth?
Thanks, glad you like it.

With regards to Portsmouth, I have it intact, garrisoned by HMG (mainly RN personnel, plus some Royal Marines), and home to most of the Royal Navy's surviving warships (obviously less those at Plymouth). These warships include the type 42 Destroyer HMS York (now the Royal Navy's flagship), the submarine HMS Trafalgar, and a Dutch frigate (HNLMS De Ruyter) which brought the Dutch Royal Family to the UK when the French invaded, plus a few smaller ships and civilian vessels that were STUFT (Ships Taken Up From Trade, i.e. civilian vessels requisitioned by the Navy). I also have a US Aegis cruiser tied up alongside unable to go back to sea.

In a divergence from canon, I do not have Portsmouth being the national Capital however (I chose Oxford instead).

To be honest, it's unlikely that I'll get into Portsmouth in any greater detail. When I first started work on this project a few years ago my intention was to create a sourcebook which would cover the entire UK; unfortunately I have to be realistic these days and accept that work and other commitments mean I will never have enough time to do that, so at the moment I'm concentrating my efforts on works on the south west of England and (to a lesser extent) Scotland.

Cheers
Old 07-19-2010, 02:09 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Isn't the Amathyst there as well? A museum shit if I recall. But, none the less a ship in decent shape as far as living quarters and such goes. Bring some of its weapons systems online which wouldn't be as hard as you think since its a WWII era ship.

Read its storey sometime its interesting.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:53 PM

According to Wikipedia the Amethyst was scrapped in 1957...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Amethyst_(F116)

I probably would add HMS Bristol to the Portsmouth fleet though...she was a Type 82 destroyer, only one of the class ever built for the RN, and saw service in the Falklands in 1982 before being converted into a Training Ship in 1987.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Bristol_(D23)

Last edited by kato13; 07-19-2010 at 04:17 PM. Reason: fixed links
Old 07-19-2010, 04:13 PM

Smile

The 4.5" gun on it will give you a nice artillery option.
"There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
--General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:31 AM

Outstanding work on this mate.

And again if you require any more help just ask.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester View Post
Isn't the Amathyst there as well? A museum shit if I recall.
I love funny typos.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:33 AM
The Stat Guy

I admit I don't know much about recent British history, so this sort of thing is invaluable.

One thing I've always had in my T2K British history is that Queen Elizabeth is dead and Charles in now the King of England. He stepped up to the plate and helps lead the British forces in England. His sons, though young, have also taken up arms, as did, surprisingly, Princess Diana. However, that was before I knew much about him. Andrew is a helicopter pilot in the Middle East. How does that idea sound to you guys? Maybe there's a nugget for someone to expand on.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com

Last edited by pmulcahy11b; 07-21-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjam View Post
Outstanding work on this mate.

And again if you require any more help just ask.
Cheers mate - and thanks again for your local insights....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
I admit I don't know much about recent British history, so this sort of thing is invaluable.

One thing I've always had in my T2K British history is that Queen Elizabeth is dead and Charles in now the King of England. He stepped up to the plate and helps lead the British forces in England. His sons, though young, have also taken up arms, as did, surprisingly, Princess Diana. However, that was before I knew much about him. Andrew is a helicopter pilot in the Middle East. How does that idea sound to you guys? Maybe there's a nugget for someone to expand on.
Hmmmm....good question Paul...I think various scenarios are possible dependent on who is alive and who is not...your scenario sounds perfectly possible to me. In real life Andrew would still have been a serving Naval Officer at the start of the War (going by Wikipedia he would have had the rank of Lieutenant Commander and been stationed at RNAS Portland on the south coast of England). Would he have been sent to the Middle East? IMHO that's possible. Precedent certainly exists, for example his own service in the Falklands in 1982 and Prince Harry's service in Afghanistan. I actually think that's quite an interesting idea you have there.

For all sorts of Constitutional reasons, I think the single most important thing for the Royal Family would be to ensure that the line of succession was guaranteed so if you do have Charles, William, and Harry all in the UK they aren't all going to be in the same place. Personally, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of at least one of the Princes being sent overseas, perhaps to Canada but more likely New Zealand or Australia.

Personally, I think there are likely to be a number of different opinions on this one...In my T2K World I have both the Queen and Prince Charles killed in the 1998 nuclear exchanges. (For those who like a twist, there is the possibility that Charles survived but suffered a total nervous breakdown). That puts the 18 year old William on the Throne and receiving guidance from both Diana and Andrew, whilst Harry (together with the heir to the Dutch Throne) is sequestered in a secure location guarded by a detachment of Gurkhas and Dutch Marines.

Cheers
Old 07-23-2010, 06:10 AM

Location: Somewhere in the Eastern U.P. on the edge of Civilization.

Kinda interesting. I will have to read more later.

Tags
cornwall, south west england, united kingdom