RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive

Old 01-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Best Player Vehicle?

ChalkLine 11-14-2005, 08:22 PM Just out of curiosity, what do the people here consider the best vehicle for a group of players? As that's a big and fuzzy category, I'll break it into sections, just answer the ones you like;

Small group, Poland.

Large group, Poland.

Small group, other Europe.

Large group, other Europe.

Small group, USA.

Large group, USA.

Small group, other America.

Large group, other America.

Small group, Africa.

Large group, Africa.

Small group, Asia.

Large group, Asia.

Small group, Australia.

Large group, Australia.

firewalker 11-14-2005, 09:11 PM for endurance or combat punch?

Tanks are scary as ell but slow and consume a lot of fuel and mantince. Light trucks and other 4x4 cargo vehicles are easer to keep going (more spare parts if nothing else) and have wider verity of uses.

My votes for horses and a few bikes

DeaconR 11-14-2005, 10:11 PM My players' favourite was probably the LAV-25 they had when they started out in Poland. They had to abandon it a while back but they now and then remember it wistfully.

My own favourite from play actually was the Vistula Krolowa; there was something cool about playing out something I'd read about: pushing a coal burning boat over a big river through hostile territory.

Grimace 11-15-2005, 04:07 PM Small group, Poland.

Either a Humvee with fuel trailer or a LAV-25 and a few extra jerry cans of fuel.

Large group, Poland.

Either a 5-ton truck with a fuel trailer or a LAV-25 and a few extra jerry cans of fuel.

Small group, other Europe.

Horses or bicycles

Large group, other Europe.

5 ton truck

Small group, USA.

Motorcycles.

Large group, USA.

School bus or some other multi-person carrying vehicle.

Small group, other America.

Humvee.

Large group, other America.

M2 Bradley or some other passenger transporting IFV.

Small group, Africa.

Big country. Northern and Southern Africa I'd say a Land Rover. Central Africa I'd say feet.

Large group, Africa.

oi...again, it's a big country. I'd say a big truck of some sort, or an IFV of some sort. Hard to say and depends entirely on the location within Africa.

Small group, Asia.

Horses.

Large group, Asia.

Train. Barring that, a Ural Truck or something of the sort.

Small group, Australia.

Land Rover.

Large group, Australia.

Land Rover.

ChalkLine 11-15-2005, 04:50 PM Small group, Poland.

The LAV-25 scores consistently high, it's maneouverable, has fairly powerful armament and a good range. Players usually seek these out, or a pact similiar vehicle such as a BTR. Tracked vehicles are great but are often fuel hogs, although they allow you to almost ignore the road net. One of the best vehicles I've had in game was a grizzly 4x4 quad bike and trailer!

Large group, Poland.

I've realised this category usually includes a mix of vehicles, often including large cargo carriers such as a gun truck version of the HEMMT, and something more combat supportive such as a LAV or BTR (or even a light tank).

I'm not including 'patron' vehicles such as the River Tug or the Armoured WW2 Train, as these were kinda campaign systems, and they tended to carry 'small group' vehicles for scouting purposes.

Small group, USA.

4x4 Utility Truck seem to be the answer here, parts are everywhere and the road net is superb so you can utilise their onroad high speed.

Large group, USA.

I don't have any idea

Small group, Africa.

As said, I've chosen one of the largest continents here. Toyota light 4x4s seem to be everywhere, along with the VAB and AMX French light wheeled IFVs.

Large group, Africa.

Just more of them.

Small group, Australia.

Definitely the Land Cruiser over the Land Rover, the cruisers aren't capable of clambering over the same stuff but bog less due to their wider wheelbase and you can carry more stuff inside. Rovers are really uncomfortable inside too, the backseat is abysmal and useless for firing on the move (or even just seeing out). There's far more cruiser parts available too.

Large group, Australia.

A Unimog, 'nuff said. The aussie army uses them, they'll clamber over anything and need a tank round to stop them, can you tell that I'm a fan?

DeaconR 11-16-2005, 02:21 AM BTW, how about for arctic conditions? BV-206?

For use in the States btw my players have adopted a pair of quad ATVs and a somewhat battered van for lack of anything else, but they are hoping to find something better than the van. However they like the ATVs very much.

kcdusk 11-16-2005, 03:51 PM I was generous, gave my PC + team a Bradley IFV. It came with a full rack of TOW's.

Targan 11-17-2005, 12:56 AM My players' characters are very fond of their Scorpion SOCOM FAV vehicle, which they use for high speed recon and as their number three scout vehicle when in convoy. It is painted matt black, armed with an M134 7.62N MG in the commander's position, a BRG 15 HMG facing forward in the gunner's position, and a rear facing Mk19 AGL for the gunner. The M134 and BRG 15 are both fed their ammo through flexible links from jerrycan-sized ammo drums, in the cargo bins one on either side. The commander's position also has a laser designator.

Enforcer 11-17-2005, 11:41 AM Humvee

5-ton

Lav-25

these would be for any environment.

DamianR 11-19-2005, 05:44 AM I liked Motorbikes myself, followed by the VBL armoured jeep. Horses were something I wanted to try, but the one time the campaign was going to be horse mounted, the game (PBeM) fell through.

My personal favourite ride however was a CV-90 40mm ADA with ERA, multifuel engine, and enough 40mm APHE and APDSFS to keep just about everything honest. And for those things that were too tough for the 40mm, there was the flex mounted BILL on the turret.

Mind you that was a toy compared to the rest of the group. There were an M1A2, LAV's, armoured hummers, a gun truck, as well as assorted transports.

Munchkin is a term that springs to mind about our T2K way back then...

TiggerCCW UK 11-19-2005, 08:31 AM Personally I would always favour something simple like a HMMWV or landrover, or a truck depending on the size of the party. I did once briefly play in a game where the only transport we had was a bicycle each. The game had real promise, but was doomed to only last a few weeks because of other commitments.

Badbru 11-19-2005, 03:13 PM My players ran through most of Poland in an OT-65 ( the polish 8x8 BTR clone) and as many uaz469 Soviet jeeps as they could keep running and the odd Ural 375 for cargo when they could keep them safe.

Never played anywhere else but it would be whatever the common 4x4 was for the area. Blend people.

Tags
vehicles