RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2014, 05:45 AM

Default OT: Targan out for a swim

Recently, Targan was spotted enjoying a dip in the ocean.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/outpo...-in-australia/

My $0.02

Mike

Last edited by mikeo80; 02-28-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:35 AM

Maybe Targan thought there was going to be an Australian-produced "Godzilla" movie and was trying to audition?

"The use of force is always an answer to problems. Whether or not it's a satisfactory answer depends on a number of things, not least the personality of the person making the determination. Force isn't an attractive answer, though. I would not be true to myself or to the people I served with in 1970 if I did not make that realization clear."
— David Drake
Old 02-28-2014, 07:25 AM

In all seriousness, that story is not all that unusual for northern Australia. Since crocodiles became a protected species in this country in 1974, their population has exploded. Crocodiles grow throughout their lives, so some of the older males are absolutely enormous. As that news report shows, the authorities are very proactive in relocating the big ones found near inhabited areas, but out there in the vast tropical reaches of northern Australia there are many 6 metre, 1 tonne + monsters just doin' their thing. Terrifying.

Last edited by Targan; 02-28-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:28 AM
Banned

Somehow I dont see anyone taking on one of those monsters with a knife no matter how big the knife is
Old 02-28-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
Somehow I dont see anyone taking on one of those monsters with a knife no matter how big the knife is
That's what 12-gauge shotguns loaded with slugs are for. At least that's what I heard they use in Florida. I have a friend who goes diving into into water canals, rivers and such to retrieve vehicles that get ditched, and he usually has a friend standing watch with a loaded 12-gauge.

Then again, if you're going up against one of those monsters in Australia, you'd probably need something bigger. I'm thinking an M2 .50 Ma Deuce...
"The use of force is always an answer to problems. Whether or not it's a satisfactory answer depends on a number of things, not least the personality of the person making the determination. Force isn't an attractive answer, though. I would not be true to myself or to the people I served with in 1970 if I did not make that realization clear."
— David Drake
Old 02-28-2014, 08:08 AM
Banned

against something like that - I might go for something even heavier - hmm hey can I borrow that grenade launcher mate? thank you very much

now that would be one hell of an animal encounter in the game!
Old 02-28-2014, 02:59 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
against something like that - I might go for something even heavier - hmm hey can I borrow that grenade launcher mate? thank you very much

I always laugh when the heroes in the monster movies fight off the T-Rexes with 5.56mm rifles and handguns.

My family won't let me watch monster movies with them...

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 02-28-2014, 03:00 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
There's a valley like that in Texas in Twilight Nightmares.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
I always laugh when the heroes in the monster movies fight off the T-Rexes with 5.56mm rifles and handguns.

My family won't let me watch monster movies with them...
Ugh, that's such an annoying cliche in sci fi flicks that TV Tropes even has a category for that, the infamous "Five Rounds Rapid" quote from Dr. Who.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...iveRoundsRapid

What I wouldn't give just to see any number of annoying monsters get shot to crispy bits with M2 .50's, Mk19's, Javelins, 25mm and 120mm cannons, etc. thus stealing the so-called "hero's" thunder.
— David Drake
Old 02-28-2014, 04:51 PM

I have a fear of bears. A friend of mine claims the best way to hunt them is with a bow (thinks the broadhead will wiggle around in the body and slice them up). I keep telling him the best way to hunt bears is from the inside of a Bradley with a 25mm chain gun.

Alligators here in the South can get fairly large, but not normaly as big as crocs. I've seen photos of on the was caught not too far from my house (5-7 miles) that was in the 12-15' range.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:32 PM
The Stat Guy

Yeah, if I see a herd of rampaging T-Rexes my first thought would to call up my flight of Apaches...what do you mean, you went to the Dinosaur Island without a FALO team and air support?

Old 02-28-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weswood View Post
I have a fear of bears. A friend of mine claims the best way to hunt them is with a bow (thinks the broadhead will wiggle around in the body and slice them up). I keep telling him the best way to hunt bears is from the inside of a Bradley with a 25mm chain gun.

Alligators here in the South can get fairly large, but not normaly as big as crocs. I've seen photos of on the was caught not too far from my house (5-7 miles) that was in the 12-15' range.
Is your friend an experienced bowhunter? Because as someone who's actually hunted with bows, I can tell you the only real way you get a kill, after nailing them in a vital spot with a broadhead (better make sure those broadheads are RAZOR sharp, btw), is from excessive blood loss, which can take anywhere from several minutes or even longer depending on how much blood and andrenaline is kicking into the creature once it's hit. If it's a deer, it's galloping away like crazy and you have to track it for a least a mile if not longer before it dies from blood loss. If it's a bear on the other hand....uhhh, better have some high caliber rifle or handgun loaded with magnum rounds ready at hand, because that bear's going to be likely charging at YOU, and he's gonna be pissed. God forbid if you actually shot a mama bear with said arrow and her cubs happen to be nearby...

Anyway, I think that's why a lot of the larger caliber rifles and magnum loads are popular up in Alaska, due to the occasional polar bears that can maul you if you're not careful, among other things.
— David Drake
Old 02-28-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
Yeah, if I see a herd of rampaging T-Rexes my first thought would to call up my flight of Apaches...what do you mean, you went to the Dinosaur Island without a FALO team and air support?
Or deciding the best way to deal with a stumbling zombie horde is to have undisciplined soldiers on foot shooting wildly into the crowd. Seriously, nothing some M2 .50's and Mk 19's coupled with 25mm Bushmaster cannons and 120mm Rheinmetall cannons firing canister shot couldn't handle.
— David Drake
Old 02-28-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schone23666 View Post
If it's a bear on the other hand....uhhh, better have some high caliber rifle or handgun loaded with magnum rounds ready at hand, because that bear's going to be likely charging at YOU, and he's gonna be pissed. God forbid if you actually shot a mama bear with said arrow and her cubs happen to be nearby...
This is exactly why I like my combat rules nice and crunchy. In my last Harnmaster game a young heavy horse mercenary decided to leave the rest of the party late one afternoon and go out hunting. He'd bow hunted before and he was a big, strong dude but he'd never hunted bear and he hadn't taken any advice on how best to do so (boar spears are pretty popular in the wilderness of Harn).

Anyhoo, he wasn't particularly looking for bear but that was the first decent sized-creature he tracked and found. He wanted to drill it good and proper so he snuck in upwind until he was pretty close before taking his shot with his bow. Thing is, neither the player nor the character knew much about bears. His first arrow didn't kill the bear and it was turning to look at him when he let fly. He was taken completely by surprise at how fast bears can run when they're pissed off. He ended up ditching the bow and going for a big knife at his belt (blade almost as long as a gladius).

The bear made a big mess of him. He killed it, but if the rest of the party hadn't come looking for him he wouldn't have survived the night. And he was the biggest, meanest, most combat-capable party member. It wasn't even a maximum-sized bear.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:37 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schone23666 View Post
Or deciding the best way to deal with a stumbling zombie horde is to have undisciplined soldiers on foot shooting wildly into the crowd. Seriously, nothing some M2 .50's and Mk 19's coupled with 25mm Bushmaster cannons and 120mm Rheinmetall cannons firing canister shot couldn't handle.
That (somehow) reminds me of something one of my drill sergeants told us once. (This was 1984.) The Rangers were considering the employment of special heavy assault fireteams, essentially a squad where everyone was armed with an M-60. I remember thinking at the time (thinking -- I wasn't going to question Drill Sergeant Becvar's veracity at that time) about how they were going to carry the staggering amount of ammo they'd ...

But, what a glorious idea...

Old 03-03-2014, 01:10 AM

Just so you guys know, the crocs don't always have things their own way. This is a big python swallowing a croc at Lake Moondarra a couple of days ago. To be fair it's probably just a freshwater crocodile (not dangerous to humans) but still...
Attached Images

Last edited by Targan; 03-03-2014 at 02:49 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:10 AM
Registered Registrant

Just to add to Targan's post: -

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...303-33xz8.html

The horror... the horror...