RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 07-24-2016, 01:57 PM
Internet Intellectual

Default Melee combat.......

Since firearms should be conspicuously absent...

Have you gone outside TMP for better melee combat rules? Weapons, armor, even fighting styles and schools.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:19 PM

While I have not used the 4th ed rules for melee combat yet, I expect to with my group very soon knowing the way a couple of them like to fight. I am not sure what you are missing that is not already pretty well handled within the existing rule set. We have melee weapons described that can easily be expanded, we have multiple schools of combat that give various advantages, we have single strike KOs with stealth and the armor rules cover blunt damage. Not sure what you see lacking or that you want to see added. An extensive system like Claw Law would be cumbersome at best to try to incorporate.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:39 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin798 View Post
While I have not used the 4th ed rules for melee combat yet, I expect to with my group very soon knowing the way a couple of them like to fight. I am not sure what you are missing that is not already pretty well handled within the existing rule set. We have melee weapons described that can easily be expanded, we have multiple schools of combat that give various advantages, we have single strike KOs with stealth and the armor rules cover blunt damage. Not sure what you see lacking or that you want to see added. An extensive system like Claw Law would be cumbersome at best to try to incorporate.
Oh, sorry. I should have made it clear I am still a 3rd edition guy. I own a copy of 4th, but it is just a shelf queen.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:35 AM

Ah, now I see where you are coming from. Yes, even with the expansion that added percentile based skills, 3rd edition seemed to have glossed over hand to hand combat. You might try to adapt the 4th edition melee rules. SP in 4th edition tends to be lower when using the character conversion guidelines, so you may need to increase damage slightly. The biggest challenge would be working out a way to interpret DoS and DoF in 3rd edition. This concept could be pulled directly from 4th edition and applied only to hand to hand if you wanted. Then you can use the martial combat skill and the associated specialties with no modifications.