RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 12-09-2018, 07:53 AM

Default Proposal: Command One

In my own heresy, I usually flat-out delate the MARS One vehicle. Personal dislikes, issues with the one time a team ran one of these in a game, dislike of the flipping movie!!!

The Science One, I can actually see a limited use for, say one per Project operation region (total of ten). But as I sat down and looked over the blueprint of a Science One, I had an epiphany (or a bad gas of gas, not really too sure).

One of the reasons I dislike the MARS One is it places a requirement for additional supplies into an already bloated logistical situation. I know that there is the counter-argument that it would use similar parts, etc. etc. But still, it boils down to it forcing yet another system.

But what if a Science One was converted to fill an obvious need?

A Command One is intended to be a mobile headquarters for a State/Province Command Team. Removing the laboratories frees up space for additional radios, computers, map boards and a staff area for the boss and his minions to do that thing that they do. Provide C3I for the local teams.
Like the Science variant, the Command variant has a front tractor and can
detach the trailer as needed (both have their own fusion power source).

The Command One has a minimum external armament. These consist of two turrets mounted fore and aft on the tractor top, each mounting a GAU-19A .50-caliber minigun, two side mounted MAG-58s on the tractor as well as seven claymore mines mounted around the sides. The trailer has a retractable missile launcher fitted with two quad-pack Stingers and four TOW missiles. There are also two side mounts mounting MAG-58s.

At the rear of the trailer is storage space for two four-wheeled ATVs and an additional (unarmed) trailer is towed that carried two more ATVs and a dismantled Airscout gyrocopter.

Thoughts?
Old 12-09-2018, 08:40 AM

Your take on a variant Science One is one I will steal for my MP games. I agree that the C3I needs of MP are important.
You could also use a modular Science One as a basis for Medical One, Recon One, Logistics One, Agricultural One, MARS One, etc.
Trade out ATVs for FAVs, HAAM Suits, even a towed Commando Scout.
Another thing mentioned in the original rules is that a MARS One wouldn't be operating alone; it would be deployed in conjunction with already active MARS and Recon teams, and act as a mobile base/command post.
If anything, The Landmaster is MORE flexible vehicle to use, and would be more effective than that monster of a beast, MARS One. Otherwise, just deploy a troop of fusion powered M-60s or M-1s if you need Shock and Awe.
MARS One, while cool, is very much a product of when the game was published. IMHO the inclusion of the MARS One in the game is more about game crunch (gamer granola/toys for players) than deeply thought out post apocalyptic need.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Fletch View Post
Your take on a variant Science One is one I will steal for my MP games. I agree that the C3I needs of MP are important.
You could also use a modular Science One as a basis for Medical One, Recon One, Logistics One, Agricultural One, MARS One, etc.
Another thing mentioned in the original rules is that a MARS One wouldn't be operating alone; it would be deployed in conjunction with already active MARS and Recon teams, and act as a mobile base/command post.
If anything, The Landmaster is MORE flexible vehicle to use, and would be more effective than that monster of a beast, MARS One. Otherwise, just deploy a troop of fusion powered M-60s or M-1s if you need Shock and Awe.
MARS One, while cool, is very much a product of when the game was published. IMHO the inclusion of the MARS One in the game is more about game crunch (gamer granola/toys for players) than deeply thought out post apocalyptic need.
I've done a Medical One and a Logistics One. Don't use the HAAM suit, although towing a Commando Scout seems workable.

The ATVs are the "quads" so much used in rural areas, don't know if enough space can be freed up to carry a FAV, let alone 2, and I do like having an Air Scout available.

The Logistics One basically dumps the issue trailer and replaces it with two unarmed units for supplies.

The Medical One dumps the issue trailer and replaces it with a slightly longer and lower trauma unit for up to 8 patients (double-stacked). I usually pair up two V-150s with M-2HB/Mk19 turrets and two HMMWV hard-shell ambulances for protection/support.

Last edited by dragoon500ly; 12-09-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I don't know about an Agricultural One, wouldn't it better and more flexible to issue additional 2.5-ton and 5-ton trucks?

As for a Recon One...I dislike this. Primarily because I like to keep Recon as fast and light as possible. In my games, a typical Recon Team has roughly 18 personnel manning 4-6 V-150s OR 6-8 armed HMMWVs/FAVs. Their mission requires the ability to cover large areas as quickly as possible, something that a Science One or its various models can't do.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:54 PM

Maybe not Recon One; call it commo/drone mobile hub.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Maybe not Recon One; call it commo/drone mobile hub.
Depending on the drone used, could be a regional or state asset. Something like a Predator for long duration coverage and a smaller one for pinpoint assessments.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:30 AM

I never liked the Mars One and really didn't like the Science One vehicle, but did like the idea and the mission. A mobile Command Post also makes sense.

I use this vehicle as the basis

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ncher_USAF.jpg

https://www.hill.af.mil/About-Us/Fac...bile-launcher/

There is a lot of great footage of this machine. there was also a tracked contender

Or this is a bit less unweildy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BGM-10...Cruise_Missile