RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 08-01-2020, 06:45 PM

Talking The Case For A 1 Meter Rule

I'm initiating the following discussion for the benefit of new GMs who may not realize that the rules are supposed to be guidelines and are not fixed and unchangeable. A "flame war" started after I suggested the "Heresy" in a D&D forum of changing the default spacing of 5ft to a spacing of 1 YARD. In my opinion, The 1-Yard OR 1-Meter Spacing (they are basically interchangeable) is more intuitive for new players and they seem to like its simplicity. So I've decided to discuss the 1-Meter Spacing option here as well. Let the sparks fly!

We are all aware that Twilight2000 uses a default scale of 2 meters as a personal range with a secondary scale of 8 meters for a small area grid. I would submit the case for a ONE METER or even a ONE YARD (for those who still use Imperial measurements) default scale. Here's why...

The typical adult Human has a size from shoulder to shoulder of between 16" and 24" with only a few exceptions. However, we Humans like to have space around us to move our arms and turn or maneuver around in. You can easily assume that the 39" space encompassed by a Meter is sufficient space to allow this. Those fond of using Yards will find that the 36" Yard ALSO provides space for a typical Human to move comfortably inside of. Indeed, most MODERN doors range from 30" to 36" wide unless they are handicapped accessible. Thus, you can easily claim that a typical Human only needs 1 meter of space to be comfortable and NOT the 2m (or 78" of space) that GDW would suggest you should use.

By using 1 meter as the base for a single human, you can now apply a 1 meter (or Yard) = 1 square/hex on your battle mats. Another area where this can change the game is in DISPERSION. The RAW V2.2 game gives a dispersion of 2 meters per range band topping out at a very wide 8 meters of dispersion at Extreme range bands. That's THIRTEEN FEET of dispersion at the longest range band. This is a bit much for even the most UNSKILLED marksman. I think a better view of the various dispersions should be...

Short Range Dispersion: The rounds which miss should only endanger targets DIRECTLY BEHIND the target being shot at. The 8" to 10" of space on either side of a typically sized target will easily accommodate this.

Medium Range Dispersion: This range band would increase Dispersion by ONE METER (or 1 yard). The GM should select one side of the target or the other. Any rounds which miss will hit anyone behind the target OR beside it. Odd rounds should be allocated to the 1-meter square BEHIND the target.

Long Range Dispersion: This range band would include one meter to either side of the target's 1-meter square or hex. Odd rounds should end up behind the target.

Extreme Range Dispersion: This range band's Dispersion would be the same as the Long Range band's dispersion. Why? I find it hard to imagine a shooter missing their target by more than FOUR FEET horizontally, even at Extreme Range.

Melee Ranges During Play:

During a CQB or HTH fight, the 1-meter Spacing system works as well as the RAW Spacing system. I break HTH ranges into REACHES. Every attack has a reach in Meters. My Reaches are...

Short Range Reach: The range of this reach is ONE METER from the player's own hex/square. The combatant's will each occupy half of their respective hex/square so there will be about 36" of space between them. Daggers, fists, and Headbutts all fall into this range catagory.

Medium Range Reach: The range of this reach is TWO METERS from the attacker's own hex/square. The distance between the two opponent's will be around 75" and this will be sufficient for the movement needed in an attack. The vast majority of melee weapons and attacks such as high kicks and spin kicks will fall into this range.

Long Range Reach: The range of this reach is THREE METERS from the attacker's own hex/square. The distance between the two opponents will be around 112" in length. Only the longest typical melee weapons such as Polearms, Rifle-Mounted Bayonets, and Short Spears can fight from this range.

Extreme Range Reach: The range of this reach is FOUR METERS from the attacker's own hex/square. The distance between the two opponents will be around 150" in length or more than the average height of two men. This area would be for only the longest weapons such as Whips, Pikes, and Long Spears/Lances.

These ranges allow a new player to visualize the space that the action occuring in with greater accuracy.

The Yards & Meters Argument:

Since a Yard is 36" in length and a Meter is 39" in length, they are so close that I just use them interchangeably. Most ranges in TTRPGs are fairly arbitrary anyway so the 3" difference really doesn't hurt anything.

Overall, I think you will find using the One Meter (or One Yard) Spacing more efficient than the Two Meter Spacing of RAW Twilight2000.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:27 PM

This kind of demonstrates my feelings about Spacing in Twilight. It's more than a bit extreme but training is training...

https://youtu.be/CSwbxOnMmRA