RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 07-16-2009, 11:08 AM

Default Weapon cards

Obviously, this is for FtF play.

I ran into these from a website off Serenity RPG.
HTML Code:
http://www.fireflyrpg.com/rpg/gear.html
The idea is to print off 2"x4" cards with all the necessary data to use a weapon (firearm or melee), which can of course include a keen picture of said boom-stick.

In a few Serenity sessions, the players all seemed to like them, as they could pick up or drop guns as necessary (the best reload...), and see more than a jumble of stats. The weapons guides or T2k2 have the necessary sections, one need only copy them from the book.

A downside, of course, is that now you have lots of small pieces of paper floating around.

Anyone else use something like these?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:50 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain

well our group usually have a laptop with the big book of war running for weapon stats and pix...in adition we sometimes print out the most important and well used ones...

works for us...

Weapon cards is a good idea , BUT printing out hundreds or thousand and then gluing/taping them on cardboard seems a lot of work for the GM.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:50 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain

good site by the way...quite inspiring...
Old 07-16-2009, 05:07 PM

We used the same idea for 'power cards' in the D&D 4e game I played earlier this year - saves a lot of hunting through books to remember just what said power/ability does in the middle of combat.

Can't help noticing that the Firefly stuff omits, well, just about every gun I remember from the show or movie.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:52 PM

I like it. Good idea. We use reference cards in my T2K campaign for listing members of each team in Po's unit, the specialties of the team members, their ranks, call signs and usual armament.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:34 PM

I like it too. An idea I had is some made up cards that have the stats for the weapons the character carries-range, Rof, damage, Magazine, etc. There's room to mark how many rounds are fired and several spare magazines. I think I even have a list of modifiers such as range, movement etc. I made them out of either 4x6 index cards, or maybe printed them on regular paper and cut them in half.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:18 AM

I think they worked rather well, since my group's members are about half "gun-nuts" and half are not. Both halves like the pictures, and anyone still learning the rules can compare stats with those of others.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:15 AM

Our group does not use weapon cards, though we probably would if we could be bothered making them. What I did instead is print out loads of the magazine/ammo counters (for mags, belts etc) and got them laminated. Before a mission the pcs grab a number of mags to indicate what they are bringing along (which dictates weight etc). Bullets are marked off as they are used.

What I've found is that it's a great way for bookkeeping (which is obviously the original intention) and after a fire-fight the pcs can just cross off and rub off pencil marks to represent reloading/unloading of mags etc. Even better is an unintended consequence that the players feel more involved; they have something in their hands and they feel "cool" when they swap out a partially filled mag and shuffle it to the back of their pile.

I know for my group (who are not gun nuts) that weapon cards would be good because they don't really know what their weapons are (but what I've done is downloaded vids from youtube and I show them what it looks like firing/loading, and how big it is). Weapon cards would be good but you have to make them....

this is the pdf that I printed and laminated
http://sites.google.com/site/leonpoi...attredirects=0

Tags
weapons