RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
Well some were war criminals, that is a matter of public record, but a tiny minority. There are bad eggs in every basket. I know that some Commonwealth soldiers have done terrible things too at times.
All armies have individual soldiers and even units that commits atrocities. What matters most is whether or not the actions are part of am organized policy from a higher command.

On a related note, from what I've heard, it's probably best the Japanese tended to go out in banzai charges rather than surrender in large numbers ...

Quote:
Actually in terms of WWII there are a number of groups we could point the finger at, not just the SS. But they are a good example of a group that was rotten to the core. Remember, "just following orders" isn't a valid defence and the version of history that most informed people accept is the one in which the SS were a really nasty organisation.
For example Japan's Unit 731.

http://copeab.tripod.com
Old 04-13-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
All armies have individual soldiers and even units that commits atrocities. What matters most is whether or not the actions are part of am organized policy from a higher command.

On a related note, from what I've heard, it's probably best the Japanese tended to go out in banzai charges rather than surrender in large numbers ...

For example Japan's Unit 731.
Unit 731 you must be a Slayer fan.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:40 AM

There are always exceptions to rules, but to use those exceptions to try to re-write history and say that the Waffen SS were roughly morally analogous the the United State marine Corps is, in my opinion not being a Devil's Advocate, it is downright insulting to the Marines.

Even discounting the concentration camps and the fact that many Waffen SS men recovered from their wounds by serving in the Death Camps, main line Waffen SS units were deemed responsible for a minumum of 65,000 war criminal murders and up to about 120,000-150,000, over the course of the war. That amounts to between .06 and .15 murders for every man that served in the Waffen SS.

True, even the War Crimes Commission excluded the conscripted members of the Waffen SS that were allocated to the unit after 1943 from the label of War Criminals, but to say that the Waffen SS were a bunch of regular guys in a tough situation and that they are just like the US Marine Corps is bordering on denial, not fair advocacy.

I understand that people do bad things during war, but to say that they do it time and a gain and should be forgiven for it because, hey, people tend to blame others so we shouldn't jump on the band wagon. Some people and some groups do deserve villification and in my opinion the Waffen SS as a group have the blood of millions on their hands. To try and cast this aside as a frippery is insulting to the millions that died in the and the men that gave their lives so that we could engage in such a debate.

Last edited by simonmark6; 04-13-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Edited for rubbish maths.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmark6 View Post
There are always exceptions to rules, but to use those exceptions to try to re-write history and say that the Waffen SS were roughly morally analogous the the United State marine Corps is, in my opinion not being a Devil's Advocate, it is downright insulting to the Marines.

Even discounting the concentration camps and the fact that many Waffen SS men recovered from their wounds by serving in the Death Camps, main line Waffen SS units were deemed responsible for a minumum of 65,000 war criminal murders and up to about 120,000-150,000, over the course of the war. That amounts to between .06 and .15 murders for every man that served in the Waffen SS.

True, even the War Crimes Commission excluded the conscripted members of the Waffen SS that were allocated to the unit after 1943 from the label of War Criminals, but to say that the Waffen SS were a bunch of regular guys in a tough situation and that they are just like the US Marine Corps is bordering on denial, not fair advocacy.

I understand that people do bad things during war, but to say that they do it time and a gain and should be forgiven for it because, hey, people tend to blame others so we shouldn't jump on the band wagon. Some people and some groups do deserve villification and in my opinion the Waffen SS as a group have the blood of millions on their hands. To try and cast this aside as a frippery is insulting to the millions that died in the and the men that gave their lives so that we could engage in such a debate.
It's not really insulting at all. It's just a observation. To go along with not really thinking about something and join the popular crowd is how bad things like genecides happen. The point a finger at a whole group instead of individuals, that is just foolish. Freedom is here so we can speak with are minds, not go along with what everyone else that has been brain washed with thinks.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:07 AM

Your first point may not have been insulting, calling me foolish and brain washed is.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Ending another thread. This is veering towards insults.

Last edited by kato13; 04-13-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Closed Thread