RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 08-05-2014, 09:08 AM

Default A New Career.....

This was created for my Dark Conspiracy game, I adapted it as a civilian career, but can easily be a law enforcement or combat arms career. Actually it's one of a slew of things I submitted to the DC magazine. What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Small Arms Instructor - Copy.pdf (74.9 KB, 69 views)
Old 08-05-2014, 11:33 AM

Default Small Arms instructor

Remember, you did ask...

1. First Career, waaaaay too many skills.

Suggest you drop AGL +1 (not seeing a general regimen to improve Agility in teaching others to shoot), streetwise (I don't see the relationship to Firearms instruction), Observation;

Change Gunsmithing to 1 (main job is instructing, not fixing weapons), Small Arms to 2 (already need to have 4 as a Prereq).

Puts skills gained in the first term more in line with most civil careers, especially in DC.

2. Subsequent Terms:

Not seeing sufficient reason for Machinist, Chemistry or Metallurgy (firearms instructor, not firearms designer), Melee or Tactics (presumably you're teaching what you know, but nothing about this career seems to involve you being in a situation where you would get more experience in either skill).

Not seeing a reason for +1 to Init (unless previous careers did not include military or some other means of getting a +1 - but I doubt you would get Small Arms 4 without some such career)

3. I don't go in for combined careers (I don't recall a mechanism for it), but if so, for balance of character creation, wouldn't you need to halve the skills gained?

4. For DC, I'd base the income for this on an average of INT & CHR, since part of the success in this business will be based on people skills. You need to either convince them of your competence and/or not be to unpleasant so customers come back or spread the word.

Uncle Ted
Old 08-05-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkated View Post
Remember, you did ask...

1. First Career, waaaaay too many skills.

Suggest you drop AGL +1 (not seeing a general regimen to improve Agility in teaching others to shoot), streetwise (I don't see the relationship to Firearms instruction), Observation;

Change Gunsmithing to 1 (main job is instructing, not fixing weapons), Small Arms to 2 (already need to have 4 as a Prereq).

Puts skills gained in the first term more in line with most civil careers, especially in DC.

2. Subsequent Terms:

Not seeing sufficient reason for Machinist, Chemistry or Metallurgy (firearms instructor, not firearms designer), Melee or Tactics (presumably you're teaching what you know, but nothing about this career seems to involve you being in a situation where you would get more experience in either skill).

Not seeing a reason for +1 to Init (unless previous careers did not include military or some other means of getting a +1 - but I doubt you would get Small Arms 4 without some such career)

3. I don't go in for combined careers (I don't recall a mechanism for it), but if so, for balance of character creation, wouldn't you need to halve the skills gained?

4. For DC, I'd base the income for this on an average of INT & CHR, since part of the success in this business will be based on people skills. You need to either convince them of your competence and/or not be to unpleasant so customers come back or spread the word.

Uncle Ted
Nonsense, This was for DC, and was made for someone who lived honostly by thier shooting in a variety of ways. What I probably need to do is package "A" instructor, "B" armorer, "C" shooting team member. I seem to have combined these without a mechanism to choose a path for the term. I'll rework it and update the pdf. The melee and tactics would be for advanced classes or LEO/ Corp Security and should be in a package. +1 AGL would be in an athletic package. I hope to show the changes you inspired.

Last edited by .45cultist; 08-05-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:15 PM

Here is the first edit, I still need to add the results of failing the rolls per term.
Gunsmiths might damage a weapon or have someone injured, lawsuit. Shooting Team might have loss of income. Instructor might lose credentials. Also forgot to add the suggestion to figure income.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Small Arms Instructor Redux.pdf (75.6 KB, 74 views)
Old 08-05-2014, 11:55 PM

Very cool to see other people liked DC also. It just had such great potential, but never took off sadly. Your firearms instructor career is cool. Maybe they should get extra charisma points or starting cash if they were a ex elite forces member since people are want to be trained by these types. Especially if they where involved with some popular story like the Blackhawk Down.