RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 08-06-2012, 03:56 PM

Default Armored Catapillar D-7 dozer

Story: Attached are photos of a D-7G of 3d Cbt Engr Bn, 3d MarDiv, that was turned into a AFV through addition of armor plating and rubber matting (RPG screen).

Vehicle was used extensivly in reduction of strongpoints and urban combat. A 7.62mm is mounted in the turret. Gun slots allow crew to use personnel weapons and grenades from inside. Crew normally consisted of 3, driver, gunner and commander. Often used to pull line charges (rocket propelled explosive charges used to clear mines.

Truth: A bulldozer turned into a AFV by Croatians.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2012, 04:02 PM

Default Captured truck with AAA used by 5th Mech ID

Story: This vehicle was captured from Soviet forces and used for well over a year by 5th ID.

Truth: Croatian AAA.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2012, 04:55 AM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache6 View Post
Story: Attached are photos of a D-7G of 3d Cbt Engr Bn, 3d MarDiv, that was turned into a AFV through addition of armor plating and rubber matting (RPG screen).

Vehicle was used extensivly in reduction of strongpoints and urban combat. A 7.62mm is mounted in the turret. Gun slots allow crew to use personnel weapons and grenades from inside. Crew normally consisted of 3, driver, gunner and commander. Often used to pull line charges (rocket propelled explosive charges used to clear mines.

Truth: A bulldozer turned into a AFV by Croatians.
Hey Apache6, the images and story you're posting are great
One query though... that "bulldozer" isn't really a bulldozer

From the look of the running gear, the overall shape and the mesh on the side, I'd say it's an M4 High Speed Tractor, originally used to tow artillery (the mesh would be protection for the radiator).
Here's a picture of the M4 for comparison from http://www.g503.com/forums//viewtopic.php?f=24&t=192894

Normally there'd be a box body on the rear for stowing artillery rounds and beneath that is a large capacity winch. I wonder if the reason the Croats created such a long rubber skirt for this vehicle is to retain access to the winch?
Old 08-07-2012, 08:42 AM

Default extra armour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
That's one way to create spaced armour and break up the vehicle outline a little. Not sure how effective it would be, but then anyone mad enough to be in a T-34 on a modern battlefield would want to do absolutely everything in their power to make it just a little bit more survivable.
I've seen and used that type of matting before. If it's what I think, it's not actually belted with metal, but has a layer of strong material sandwiched in the rubber. Usually used for flooring in things like horse floats, cattle trucks and the like where slipping can be a very bad thing.
Saw Serb tanks with concrete slabs and bathroom ceramics tiles on the armour in Bosnia in the 1990s. Also rolled mesh wire / chicken wire was used along with tire tracks etc etc
Old 08-08-2012, 09:36 PM

Default I stand corrected

Stainless Steel Cynic: A+ for tracked vehicle ID.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:22 PM

Default More photos

Here are more potential characters and NPCs.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2012, 10:39 PM

Default More NPCs

NPCs
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2012, 10:44 PM

Default Greek Marines conduct Amphib Aslt in Turkey

Story: Greek Marine forces landed by Soviet landing craft assist in clearing the Dardenells.

Truth: Greece bought several of the big Soviet hover craft from Russian after USSR disolved.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2012, 10:54 PM

Default More NPCs and encounter groups.

Some people to meet?
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2012, 11:11 PM

Default More NPC

More NPC
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2012, 08:51 AM
The end is nigh!!!

Old 08-09-2012, 08:53 AM
The end is nigh!!!

Well maybe if Targan is really desperate!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:05 AM

Default More NPCs and encounter groups.

More people to encounter
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2012, 08:09 AM

Default Col Katerine Hilder

Story: Commander of the New America Guard in Florida. A charismatic, intelligent and well spoken leader. She is also a insane fanatic.

Truth: Serbian
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2012, 08:12 AM

Default more NPC encounters

Including people in woodland pattern US uniforms carrying Ak...
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2012, 01:58 PM

Default Locations

Here's a few 'scenario starter' photos.

One is a photo of a once grand house, which the players unit overnight in.

Also a bridge that they have to cross to escape a overwhelming enemy force that is closing in on them. It was once a Military Load Class 100 (MLC100) bridge, meaning it should have supported vehicles up to 100 tons easily. They knew it was still up, but had heard rumor it was damaged. When they arrive this is what they see. It's an Esy CbtEngr task to assess that it will not support more then 5 + 4d6 tons at any time in it's current condition. It's a difficult CbtEngr Task to figure out how to conduct temporary repairs that will allow it to support up to 50 tons. That will take 8d10 manhours of labor and pioneer tools.

The rocket photos: Your players are hiding in a woods, they hear trucks pull up into a clearing a few hundred meters away. If they go check it out they will see four trucks, a UAZ jeep and a BRDM-2 setting up in a clearing between 50 - 150 meters from the edge of a woodline which has good rocky cover. This is an enemy artillery battery and likely constitutes a good portion of the enemies main artillery force. They have 4 type-63 12 shot, 107mm MRLs. Each truck pulls one and carries 6 men armed with 1 RPK, 5 AKs, each vehicle has a RPG-7 but only 3 of them have any rockets. Each vehicle also carries 72 extra rockets for the MRL. The BRDM will orient it's gun down the road toward where they perceive NATO forces are. One man from each truck will stand with an RPK 'on a lax guard.' but non of them will go much more then 30m from the vehicle. The UAZ has a large antena, and is obviously the FDC for the battery. If the charcters do nothing they will take 30 minutes to set up the MRLs and aiming stakes then wait quietly for 50 minutes before they jump into activilty, relaying firing commands, applying firing data then opening up with a volley of 48 rockets, 8 minutes after then receive a call for fire. If the players engage, the artillery unit will most brake and run quickly. They are very likely to leave behind significant spoils, including ammo, diesel, and possibly a vehicle or two (if PCs can capture/KO the drivers).

The stagecoach used to be a tourist attraction at a "wild west attraction." But it's been pressed into service, since it's approbriate technology for the local civilians. Used to carry passengers, mail and small packages on a 130 km route, which it covers at about a 30km a day pace. The driver is armed with a pistol and sawed off double barrel shotgun. The gentlemen riding 'shotgun' is better armed with a assualt rifle with grenade launcher with 3 HE rounds.

One time when your PCs have set up an effective deliberate defense, they should see there enemies, herding civlians from the local town (ideally with which your PCs have good relations), toward them in front of their vehicles to act as human shields.

The church is also a location your charachters, or some local civilians might use for shelter.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2012, 02:21 PM

Default More NPCs and encounter groups

Including French "Colonial Marines" who were deployed in several areas.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2012, 02:27 PM

Default More NPCs and decent options for rides for PCs.

One realistic and challenging encounter might be to let the PCs find a vehicle which is in good condition, it might even have ammo on board, but it's heavily mired, like the armored track loader in one of these pictures. If you can get it out, it's a great addition to your capabilities.

The Toyotas with scrounged rocket pods and AAA could be a local militia, friendly or hostile.

The Gun truck and 'pimped out' HUMVEE might make could vehicles for the PCs, or their enemies.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2012, 03:34 PM

Default great pics

good finds Apache 6!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:21 PM

Default NPCs

NPCs
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2012, 12:12 PM

Default Plane on a Tank

I guess this is at Bagram Airport. Seems like one of those wierd, unexplainable things you might run across while the world ends. (http://www.artificialowl.net/2008/10...-plane-on.html)
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2012, 05:03 AM

is there any good appropriate photos from sandy that is usable to "Armies of the Night" out there?
Old 11-02-2012, 05:18 AM

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=im...w=1436&bih=734
A five second search found loads.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 11-03-2012, 05:15 PM

Thanks.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:20 AM

Default Krusty the Corpse

I've been doing some photo work with a homemade corpse for various projects I'm doing and did a couple of T2k-esque photos. I was going for a "victim of highway violence" kind of look.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

I am going to be using this picture as a reference for a drawing i'm working on... but I want to put more in to the picture than just the person here, and would like to get some advice on just what to add to the picture. So i'm asking for advice from you guys on what would make the picture alot more Twilight 2000 feeling.

Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:19 PM

Default Recommendation on NatHale's photo to give more T2K atmospherics

Nathale stated: "I am going to be using this picture as a reference for a drawing i'm working on... but I want to put more in to the picture than just the person here, and would like to get some advice on just what to add to the picture. So i'm asking for advice from you guys on what would make the picture alot more Twilight 2000 feeling."
- Recommend that the background be urban ruins, possibly with a fallen bridge. A google search of Bosnia city damage should bring up plenty of reference photos.
- On the boat, a coal fired steam engine?
- In the foreground either a refugee family or a camp follower and her child?
- For the gun and gunner: add a gun shield with graffiti and maybe a spotlight(?), the gunner should be less uniform, posibly sporting a prosthetic leg or arm?
- Hope this is type of recommendation you are looking for?
Old 01-01-2013, 09:00 PM

Default More NPC and improvised armor

Several photos from around the web that have T2K flavor
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2013, 09:05 PM

Default More NPCs

From the web
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2013, 09:24 PM

Default More T2k Flavor

More NPCs
Attached Images