RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 03-13-2019, 04:37 AM

Default OT - Metro: Exodus

Anyone else playing it?

Very T2K-ish IMO. An epic rail journey across Russia a couple of decades after nuclear war. I'm playing it with Russian audio dialogue and English subtitles.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:13 PM

Always been meaning to check this one out - I do love a good post apocalyptic RPG and did someone say trains LOL...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2019, 08:42 PM

Always been meaning to check this one out - I do love a good post apocalyptic RPG and did someone say trains LOL...

Old 03-15-2019, 05:36 PM
Registered Registrant

I intend to get it at some point - hard-drive space is my primary issue at the moment (i.e. I don't have any for a new game!)
Played the others in the series as well as all the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. trilogy (along with several modded versions of that series - I'm a fanboy of those games)
Old 03-15-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
I intend to get it at some point - hard-drive space is my primary issue at the moment (i.e. I don't have any for a new game!)
See, this is why I have three external hard drives....

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 03-15-2019, 09:44 PM

It's a shame that the developers of Escape From Tarkov seem to be flagging. That was a REALLY promising game and setting.

As for Metro, I have 1 and 2. I still haven't completed 2 either.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:10 AM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
See, this is why I have three external hard drives....
Haha! I have two, one of which is pretty much overloaded with pen & paper gaming stuff. Plus I have two hard-drives in the computer itself, the second is about 75% dedicated to games and music and while there's some games I would consider uninstalling, I'm not removing anything from the music folder ever!
Money also plays it's part in me having the latest Metro game - I don't have any spare, so Metro will have to wait

As for Escape From Tarkov, the developers lost my interest when they made it strictly PvP. I wanted a single player or maybe multi-player co-op successor to STALKER and while initially the developers of Tarkov seemed to be saying that that's what it would be, they changed direction early on and so I didn't bother with it.
If it had been PvP similar to The Division or Rising Storm Vietnam (both of which I play off and on), I might have tried it but the formula of "get killed, lose all your gear unless you pay real money for a form of insurance" holds no attraction for me.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Played the others in the series as well as all the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. trilogy (along with several modded versions of that series - I'm a fanboy of those games)
I've played all of both series too. Exodus has some clear influences from the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:38 AM
Registered Registrant

Unsurprising considering that 4K, the company that made the Metro series, was started by people who had worked on STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl. It even developed into a bit of an issue at one point as the head honcho of GSC Game World accused 4K of copying the game engine used for Metro, from STALKER.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:05 PM

So I tracked Metro 2033 down (the Redux bundle with the original game and Last Light) and it’s interesting although haven’t managed to play much yet just the introductory scenes really which are more rail shooter than FPS but I gather that changes as you progress further.

I have picked up the Audible of the original novel however for the drive to work and it’s good - some great atmosphere and scenes / characters that could be adapted for inspiration for T2k as the post-apocalyptic tech level is similar enough.

There’s rules for Underground Combat and lighting in “The Black Madonna” so I could see a T2k adventure set in one of the old Metros if not Moscow then given the trajectory of the default westward journey to Bremerhaven then maybe Berlin’s U-Bahn system had enough complexity to have a troglodytic culture starting to develop.

Warsaw apparently has only 2 lines NS and EW so I could see it supporting a sneak attack on the Baron’s forces or smuggling routes for the more benevolent communities but not a full adventure or campaign.

I’ll probably wait for Exodus to come down in price but the train scenes and concept look rich in material to be mined for ideas for an *eastward* bound campaign ie. an OpFor campaign where the player group are Soviet forces intent on returning home rather than the default US troops.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:37 PM
Registered Registrant

The first two Metro games are linear, the first one probably the worst offender in this regard (there is one section where you are actually on rails, probably my least favourite part of the game). They redeem themselves with good atmosphere and a decent story but having spent a lot of time in the more sandbox styled STALKER, some of the gameplay aspects in Metro are in my opinion... a bit crappy.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
As for Escape From Tarkov, the developers lost my interest when they made it strictly PvP. I wanted a single player or maybe multi-player co-op successor to STALKER and while initially the developers of Tarkov seemed to be saying that that's what it would be, they changed direction early on and so I didn't bother with it.
If it had been PvP similar to The Division or Rising Storm Vietnam (both of which I play off and on), I might have tried it but the formula of "get killed, lose all your gear unless you pay real money for a form of insurance" holds no attraction for me.
I hate it when they do strictly PVP too. I'm often in locations where LAN is my only option and then there are those times when you just don't want to deal with others.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therantingsavant View Post
Warsaw apparently has only 2 lines NS and EW so I could see it supporting a sneak attack on the Baron’s forces or smuggling routes for the more benevolent communities but not a full adventure or campaign.
The NS line first opened in 1995 (and only 11 stations were open until 1998) and the EW line in 2015, so the NS probably wouldn't exist and the EW definitely wouldn't exist in a strictly canon timeline. For homebrew/updated timelines, they could be used, but it is a very small network with only 27 stations.

There's a (surprisingly) robust list of metro systems on Wikipedia, and for a contemporary game, I think the number of stations would matter more than the overall length, since the stations will be the encampments for people.

The Vespers War - Ninety years before the Twilight War, there was the Vespers War.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespers War View Post
The NS line first opened in 1995 (and only 11 stations were open until 1998) and the EW line in 2015, so the NS probably wouldn't exist and the EW definitely wouldn't exist in a strictly canon timeline. For homebrew/updated timelines, they could be used, but it is a very small network with only 27 stations.

Yes I think the Warsaw Metro is too small for a full campaign but accessing the half finished or access points to the planned tunnel sections could add to the scenario.

For an actual "Metro" campaign in the West it would have to be Berlin or Paris based.