RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 03-20-2009, 03:01 AM

Default Technical Questions

A thread to debate the technical aspects of how stuff works -

I will start off by asking :

what would be the armour value of a standard steel shipping container -the kind that come of the boat from china - app 10 meters long ,3 m wide and 3 m tall -you have seen the kind in any number of ports you have passed or even on a flatbed truck on the road .

I am after the "generic" type that can be found everywhere .Anyone know about this ?

I am assuming they are made from cheap steel or some such and want to know what kind of cover they will provide in a firefight .

assumed as empty of course -not
stacked with kevlar vests hehe..

Last edited by headquarters; 03-20-2009 at 05:33 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:08 AM

Nice thread. A few other questions, then?

Taking an average civilian car, what could be the stats for an up-armored version made from localy found steel plates?

It would have full plating cover and car glass would be replaced by steel plates with opening to allow the driver to see.

What would be the increase in weight? What would be the decrease in speed? What would be the level of protection? Can you think of a better type of armor?

Any idea?
Old 03-20-2009, 06:58 AM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headquarters

what would be the armour value of a standard steel shipping container -the kind that come of the boat from china - app 10 meters long ,3 m wide and 3 m tall -you have seen the kind in any number of ports you have passed or even on a flatbed truck on the road .

I am after the "generic" type that can be found everywhere .Anyone know about this ?

I am assuming they are made from cheap steel or some such and want to know what kind of cover they will provide in a firefight .

They are generally 14 gauge steel - about 2mm thick. The walls (and roof) are not able to handle any major load - all the strength is in the end posts, as they are designed to be stacked many high. So if you bury one, its a race between the walls and the roof to see who collapses first!

They make good shelter, and you can pile sandbags (or steel plate) up around them for armor, (need some sort of structure over the roof to hold a load there) but don't count on them stopping much in the way of incoming rounds!
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...
Old 03-20-2009, 08:16 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender

Taking an average civilian car, what could be the stats for an up-armored version made from localy found steel plates?

It would have full plating cover and car glass would be replaced by steel plates with opening to allow the driver to see.

What would be the increase in weight? What would be the decrease in speed? What would be the level of protection? Can you think of a better type of armor?

Any idea?

It depends of quality of steel found and thickness (Armor Value). The T2K book has some math on this subject - weight increase is as weight of said plates - decrease in speed depends of what kind of car/truck etc its put on- some more powerfull motors would basically just have increased fuel consumption where as a armor plated mini-morris would probably have decreased speed,manouvrability/controll and increased fuel consumption.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Twilight: 2013 Baby

Send a message via MSN to smokewolf Send a message via Yahoo to smokewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender

Any idea?
I like the idea from Burn Notice about stuffing old yellow books (thick ass phone books) in the doors and along the interior.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:27 AM

This is from here http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...TM#CHAPTER%204

Flip it and bury it.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokewolf
I like the idea from Burn Notice about stuffing old yellow books (thick ass phone books) in the doors and along the interior.
Works in real life too.
Back when I was working in a gunshop, we had a small test firing "range" set up in a walk in safe which simply consisted of a few dozen old phone books. Wasn't really up to scratch for high powered rifle rounds, but for pistols and small cal rifles, it was more than sufficient.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:43 AM

Here are some specs and blueprints for a variety of Gichner military containers and shelters which are used by the US military and some NATO forces. I have more but these are the pdfs that are small enough to add as attachments.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Gichner Expandable Shelter.pdf (137.4 KB, 90 views)
File Type: pdf Gichner ISO Shelter.pdf (177.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: pdf Gichner NATO ACE Shelter.pdf (244.6 KB, 89 views)
File Type: pdf Gichner S-280 B-G Military Shelter Blueprints.pdf (164.2 KB, 93 views)
File Type: pdf Gichner S-280 Military Shelter.pdf (175.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: pdf Gichner S-280 C-G Military Shelter Blueprints.pdf (119.5 KB, 79 views)
Old 03-23-2009, 09:25 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by headquarters

I did this one a long time ago (I was still in the Army at the time), but...
http://www.pmulcahy.com/misc_pages/armor_values.html

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com