RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 06-30-2009, 04:23 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain
Default Greenland in T2K

Thinkink about the Vatican thread, I thought what other undiscussed locations are out there? Many I presume...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland

What would happen here? Would Denmark continue help them and if so how could they?

The US ?
Old 06-30-2009, 06:01 AM

Short history of Greenland in WW 3.

4.6.1998 Thule airbase- 1 Mt air burst.

4.6.1998- 1.1.1999 Emergency evacuation to Denmark. No oil and no money for welfare programs. Only 3000 people will stay at their own risk. Two MD:s, two nurses, three gunsmiths and one engineer. Rest of the population are fishers and hunters.

Military units: 1.1.2000
Danish military: Sirius patrol and radar station personel from air force.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius_Patrol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thule_Air_Base
Old 06-30-2009, 11:58 PM

I never really thought about greenland but why not.

A nuclear burst on Thule is interesting but I would expect it to be 100kt instead of 1Mt.

About the population, I find 3000 people to be way too low. Actual population in Greenland is about 57.000 with about 7.000 europeans. The reminding 50.000 being inuits.

I agree that the withdawal of Denmark will bring casualties but I would expect at least 30.000 inuits to survive (hunting, fishing...). Outside of military personnel, the Thule burst will kill almost no one. In addition, I wouldn't be surprised to see them establishing an independent inuit state, may be lingking with inuit populations in Canada.

In addition, I'm not sure that the Danes would accept 50.000 inuits on their soil.

Finally, I can well imagine inuits killing the last remaining Europeans in retaliation from danish exaction in the 1940's-1960's. At that time, Denmark had a policy of forced conversion and cultural destruction toward inuits and several among them may think about some kind of "virtual and blind" revenge.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:43 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender
About the population, I find 3000 people to be way too low. Actual population in Greenland is about 57.000 with about 7.000 europeans. The reminding 50.000 being inuits.

I agree that the withdawal of Denmark will bring casualties but I would expect at least 30.000 inuits to survive (hunting, fishing...).
42,000 of the 57,000 live in cities of more than 1000 people. Without fuels and given the really rough terrain, I am not sure that towns of that size could support themselves by hunting and coastal/ice fishing.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
I never really thought about greenland but why not.

A nuclear burst on Thule is interesting but I would expect it to be 100kt instead of 1Mt.
Total overkill? You got intel of gathering of SAC bombers. You should nuke it as soon as possible. Nearest unit is submarine - captain decides to use single warhead missile- sorry we only have citykillers... Beauty of the soviet system - follow orders or die.

Quote:
In addition, I'm not sure that the Danes would accept 50.000 inuits on their soil.
50 000 isnt bad at all? I have seen plans to evacuate 200 000 from single city so 50 000 wouldnt be a problem?

Quote:
Finally, I can well imagine inuits killing the last remaining Europeans in retaliation from danish exaction in the 1940's-1960's. At that time, Denmark had a policy of forced conversion and cultural destruction toward inuits and several among them may think about some kind of "virtual and blind" revenge.
We are are proud members of Eskimo Liberation Front- we have killed our village doctor and teacher. Tomorrow we will kill irish antropologist and local social worker. And... sorry what did you say? Police is coming? Truckload of home guard soldiers? Where are you going? Don`t go remember your heritage...

"Cultural destruction, our heritage, once we were warriors bla, bla." In Finland we have our own untainted island paradise. Yes you can always find nutters who are ready to attack other people... Sometimes we hear loud voices shouting how they are ready to leave our nice little nation state. Well what can you say? They live on island and marry their cousins? Hard talks don`t mean that they are preparing genocide!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%85land

Last edited by Trooper; 07-01-2009 at 03:32 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:54 AM

You got some point Trooper. Your idea of a sub makes a lot of sense indeed. However, I was not thinking of Genocide. I was simply thinking of a few mob chasing down the few Europeans who had chosen to remain there (a few hundreds at most). In addition, I was not thinking about a general bloodshed: They might get killed somewhere and protected elsewhere.

I also agree with what you say about evacuation but I'm just a little less optimistic than you are. I simply assume that the Danes refuse (or don't plan) to evacuate most people who are of native descent.

Kato had another point, if they are all now in cities and have completely lost the hability to turn back to the old ways, the casualy level might be higher. Still, I think that 3000 is a bit too low.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:29 AM

In Pohjoismaat lähdekirja (Nordic sourcebook) 1990 by FGH (canon V1). Authors write about Iceland. 100 kt to Keflavik air base. Rest of the country will go back to 19th century. In the year 2000 war has practically ended. (If I remember it right? Sourcebooks are like police, women and taxicab. You newer find one when you need it...)

Situation in Greenland could be something like that. Trickle of electricity from alternative power plant? Fishing without motor-powered vessels? Back to old days without much dying and suffering? Famine or two maybe? And dont forget EMP!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keflav%C3%ADk_Air_Base
Old 07-01-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper
In Pohjoismaat lähdekirja (Nordic sourcebook) 1990 by FGH (canon V1).
I know about that book but I don't think it is available outside of scandinavia (may be even Finland). I'll be happy to see an english version, don't you feel like translating it?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:05 AM
Administrator

A Nordic Sourcebook? Wow! If someone would put out a version translated into English they would instantly become a T2K legend.

I like the idea of Soviet attacks on NATO installations in Greenland as one of the prime motivators for Denmark throwing her support fully behind NATO. At first, it would be sub-launched Spetznaz raiders. This would provoke the Danes to agree to increase their support for NATO's operations in Germany/Poland. The Spetznaz raids would fail and so, eventually, a sub-launched nuke would finish off the NATO installations on the island.

As for evactuating the inhabitants to Denmark, that's going to be very tricky. Ships would be vulnerable to Soviet commerce raiders. Aircraft would be slightly less vulnerable since I don't think Soviet fighters would be able to operate along likely flightpaths between Greenland and Denmark. Trouble would be finding enough aircraft and fuel for them to do the job, post TDM.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048

Tags
country, greenland, locations, north america