RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 07-07-2009, 12:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971
Default Morrow Project Uniforms

I have come up with ideas for Morrow Project uniforms...

The MP field uniforms. instead of coveralls I would suggest something along the lines of the WW2 British Battle Dress Uniform... They would work as both combat uniform and the semi-formal service uniform.

the field uniform would be a dark khaki waist-length resistweave jacket, a pair of dark khaki resistweave trousers, a pair of brown leather combat boots, light khaki gartiers (to provide protection to the lower legs from snakebites, a light tan shirt, a tan tie, a set of light tan underwear (a resistweave tee-shirt and boxer breif style compression shorts for males; a resistweave tee-shirt, sports bra, thong panties and compression shorts for females), a pair of tan or brown cushsion soled socks.

Informal dress would be a pair of business style khakis; a khaki shirt (long or short-sleeved), a pair of khaki shorts or trousers, a pair of tan socks, a pair of brown leather shoes or ankle boots.

the Morrow Project berets... I had an idea for the beret having color codes that go in acordance with the kind of team or speciality the wearer is part of.

Light Green
Dark Green
Brown
Light Blue
Dark Blue
Tan
White

Orange: Orange berets and uniforms are worn by personnel assiged to permenant bases as we saw in the Prime Base module.

Dark Grey: Special Purpose teams wear a dark grey beret... these are the Pheonx team wash-outs.. They would be used as regional special services where the pheonix team is a national resource that only answers to Bruce E. Morrow.

Light Grey: The Pheonix team personnel wear a light grey resistweave uniform, inculding the fact that their beret is light grey.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

I will be posting drawings of the uniforms here... but i do want some help with the Beret Color coding...

Beret Colors: Brown (Feild Teams), Tan (Recon & Mars Teams), Dark Blue (MP Maritime), Light Blue (MP Aviation), Orange (Bases/Facilities), Grey (Special Services & RAT teams), Light Grey (Pheonix team), White (Medical & Science teams), Dark Green (Agricultural teams), Light Green (construction & engineering teams),

MP Field Uniforms: a beret, a resistweave khaki belted waist-length field jacket, a light tan shirt, a light tan tie, a pair of resistweave khaki trousers, a light tan set of underwear (a compression tee-shirt, a pair of boxer brief-style compression shorts; for females a compression tee-shirt, a sports bra, a pair of thong panties, and compression shorts), a pair of tan cushion-soled socks, a pair of reinforced brown leather boots, a pair of resistweave snake-bite gartiers, a set of OD or coyote brown combat webbing and tactical vest.

MP Informal Uniform: a beret, a light weight tan M41 field jacket, a tan shirt (long-sleeve or short-sleeve), a brown web belt w/a gold or silver buckle, a pair of tan trousers or shorts, a pair of light tan socks, a pair of brown leather ankleboots or shoes.

MP Semi-Formal Uniform: a beret, a golden brown double-breasted jacket, a tan shirt, a dark tan tie, a pair of golden-brown trousers, a pair of tan socks, a pair of brown leather dress shoes, a brown leather Sam Brown belt w/holster.

Tactical Gear: a ballistic helmet w/a coyote brown cover, a Level III ballitic vest w/a coyote brown cover, a set of coyote brown knee & elbow pads, a pair of nomex coyote brown gloves.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:13 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

My uniforms are closer in tune with US military as my project is intermeshed with elements of the DoD. I do have signifigant advances in spider silk technology being rolled into the standard ACU. Though I expect I will have to come up with a custom dress uniform. I also did color coded berets but I expect you will have but more thought into it than I did to, so I just plan to lift yours .
Old 07-07-2009, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13
My uniforms are closer in tune with US military as my project is intermeshed with elements of the DoD. I do have signifigant advances in spider silk technology being rolled into the standard ACU. Though I expect I will have to come up with a custom dress uniform. I also did color coded berets but I expect you will have but more thought into it than I did to, so I just plan to lift yours .

I had went with uniforms that where just as rugged and utility enough to be on par with US military uniforms, i did a design that would give the project a professional appearence, be comfortable, and not scream "MILITARY" at the top of their lungs. the uniforms would give the appearence of authority, but still be 'unusual' enough that MP personnel would be able to perform all kinds of duties.

I just wish i still had the notes for the colors for the berets...

Scarlet Red (Mars teams)
Light Blue (Science teams)
Tan (Recon teams)
Khaki (RAT teams)
Dark Green ()
Light Green (Agricultural teams)
Maroon ()
Pink ()
Light Grey (Pheonix team)
Dark Grey ()
Black (Maintenance & Support)
Brown ()
White (Healthcare & Medical teams)
Dark Blue (Maritime services)
Powder Blue (Aviation services)
Orange (bases and facilities)
Old 07-07-2009, 05:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by natehale1971
I had went with uniforms that where just as rugged and utility enough to be on par with US military uniforms, i did a design that would give the project a professional appearence, be comfortable, and not scream "MILITARY" at the top of their lungs. the uniforms would give the appearence of authority, but still be 'unusual' enough that MP personnel would be able to perform all kinds of duties.

I just wish i still had the notes for the colors for the berets...

Scarlet Red (Mars teams)
Light Blue (Science teams)
Tan (Recon teams)
Khaki (RAT teams)
Dark Green ()
Light Green (Agricultural teams)
Maroon ()
Pink ()
Light Grey (Pheonix team)
Dark Grey ()
Black (Maintenance & Support)
Brown ()
White (Healthcare & Medical teams)
Dark Blue (Maritime services)
Powder Blue (Aviation services)
Orange (bases and facilities)
Yeah I had a similar feeling about the military appearance until the logic of the ACU multi environment camouflage solved a few logistical issues I had. Also given I am using modified HMMWVs and M-16s if figured the "non-military" appearance was a lost cause.

Good work on the berets.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13
Yeah I had a similar feeling about the military appearance until the logic of the ACU multi environment camouflage solved a few logistical issues I had. Also given I am using modified HMMWVs and M-16s if figured the "non-military" appearance was a lost cause.

Good work on the berets.
I can see that... I have some other ideas as well. i just can't make my brain work at the moment...

ive been trying to find someone who can help me with something, just not found them yet.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:37 PM

Default MP Uniforms

You must forgive me as I have not used or seen my MP books and material in quite some time but I am a long time fan of the game and the scenario.
I say that as my memory might be a bit foggy on some points.
When it comes to the uniforms and equipment I have always had a lot of questions.
I could see wearing a jump suit of some type in a bolt hole or an installation but not in the field.
Since most of the teams were frozen in the 80s I would think the clothes and gear would be either the current military issue of the day or recent surplus.
As the teams are not to necessarily be "military" a solid color uniform may less threatening.
Who knows what the locals might think about that.
I see them wearing a set of O.D. or Khaki slant pocket B.D.U.s and not berets but boonie hats or baseball style caps in the same colors.
These clors would suit any of the terrain in the U.S.
I don't see them needing a walking out dress uniform at all.
Just some thoughts...
Old 07-20-2009, 01:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner63 View Post
You must forgive me as I have not used or seen my MP books and material in quite some time but I am a long time fan of the game and the scenario.
I say that as my memory might be a bit foggy on some points.
When it comes to the uniforms and equipment I have always had a lot of questions.
I could see wearing a jump suit of some type in a bolt hole or an installation but not in the field.
Since most of the teams were frozen in the 80s I would think the clothes and gear would be either the current military issue of the day or recent surplus.
As the teams are not to necessarily be "military" a solid color uniform may less threatening.
Who knows what the locals might think about that.
I see them wearing a set of O.D. or Khaki slant pocket B.D.U.s and not berets but boonie hats or baseball style caps in the same colors.
These clors would suit any of the terrain in the U.S.
I don't see them needing a walking out dress uniform at all.
Just some thoughts...
Hey welcome aboard. Always glad to see new users.

I try to give my teams a variety to choose from as far a s head gear, as different areas of the country will to different needs. My game has more military involvement, a continued cold war and a later start date so I am barely canon in that respect. I also really ramp up the equipment as I want a team to be able to survive 5 years alone, if they wake early in the sleep phase.

I like the ACU because of utility reasons. But I could easily see swapping them out for an OD color. As I said before though I expect my teams to be reintegrated into any surviving military command structure, so appearing to be regular military is OK.

While there is no field need for a beret or dress uniform, from a unit/project pride perspective I can see it being important. I probably would not assign them to field units but would keep a dress uniform for every member at their regional base. Once supply from that base is established to the unit they can put in a request for it (like if they have a wedding to attend or such). I think little things like that keep up spirits.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:45 AM

Listen, I know this is just an RPG but I like realism to an extant to be in the game and the mythology of the game.
I understand that you lean more toward the military end but the most basic tenant of MP personnel is to survive.
I take that to mean that no single MP operator can be lost if at all possible.
We all love a fight but we hate the casualties...MP people are irreplaceable assets to the future of the country.
Uniforms, walking out dress and unit pride are all good things...for the military.
I'm not saying camo fatigues don't have there place in the scope of operations especially reece ops.
I am saying that if you have to have and everyday, non-mission specific set of reasonable presentable, durable clothes that was toned down into a plain-ness you might got shot at less and lower your casualties...maybe.
Again, just my thinking on that...
Old 07-23-2009, 12:32 PM

I think you're getting stuck on the word 'uniform' and not getting why the project would have created the different types of attire that was made for the project personnel in this modest proposal I had made. But I had come up with the various types of uniforms for one very important reason.

Group Identity.

You need to remember something about the Project... It was created by Bruce E. Morrow who KNEW that things would go hay-wire and the project would sleep 150 years after TEOTWAWKI instead of the 5 years they had planned for. But he had to work with a group of Industrialists whom would have brought into the mix their own ideas on GROUP IDENTITY.

You keep focusing on the term 'walking out unifrom' that i used to describe the semi-formal dress. Yes the Morrow Project walking-out uniform is basically a dress uniform. But I used the term 'walking-out uniform' since it was used by most european nations to describe the nicest uniform that personnel are issued that they can wear when they are going 'out' and it isn't too ornate and wouldn't draw to much attention to them as their Parade or Ceremonal uniforms would.

The Project has the semi-formal uniform for its personnel to wear during high profile meetings and gatherings, and believe it or not, would have been something that a Corproate Public Relations rep would have pushed REALLY REALLY HARD for.

Remember that the Council for Tomorrow was a bunch of corprate leaders. And their PR types would have put a very simple motto into their heads that is also very true... "It's not just important to be seen doing good things, you have to look good while doing them!"

Thus I had the project created the Semi-Formal Uniform that I refered to as their Walking-Out Dress... It's basicly just a really nice business suit and tie that they would wear with their nicest beret. I inculded the Sam Brown belt & holster in the description can be left off if personnel feel that being seen as armed would just be 'overkill'.. But I put the gunbelt as part of the uniform description since the Project really wants it's people to be able to protect and defend themselves at all times.

The fact that the Project is a humanitarian organization, dedicated to the reconstruction of civilization (and the reestablishment of the United States) they would really have to keep PUBLIC RELATIONS in mind while they would have been doing their work. I had found out that even standard security guards that are working at major corporations have dress uniforms to wear to look good when cameras are around during public events.

I described the various MP uniforms has being non-militaristic as possible, since the project would really be trying to present themselves as a non-aggressive and non-military organization. Instead of the US Army BDU style uniforms so I went with the style of battle-dress uniforms that were worn during the Second World War that looks alot like something Police Officers would wear (the rugged uniform with a nice shirt and tie).

I have been looking into something to help keep project personnel save... And not look as if they are wearing anything offensive. I have been looking at the 'Underarmor' underwear... long sleeve and long pants that would be made of a low-grade resistweave. It wouldn't be as strong as the field uniform, but it would still give some protection when worn under their 'street clothes' but isn't something that would give extra protection while worn under their resistweave field uniform.
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:26 PM

I was hoping that Bruce Morrow, being a suspected ESPer would have put some simpler ideas in their heads for them but you're right, the PR types would push their ways and Bruce couldn't be in every mind at once on every issue.
I suppose their motto as you stated has some credence and I forgot about meetings of the Council of Tomorrow where you might want to make a good impression, especially if you were presenting a mission.
I was never in the military so I guess I might miss some of the significance of a uniform. I have, however, been afield in all types of weather (now including the high desert of the SW US) and I tend to always favor what works in the field and what is comfortable.
In MP terms I would be the type who was hard to bring in from that deep RECCE op.
Thanks for those points and I hope to see some more of your artwork when possible.
Now, what's your opinion on MP web gear ?
Old 07-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner63 View Post
I am saying that if you have to have and everyday, non-mission specific set of reasonable presentable, durable clothes that was toned down into a plain-ness you might got shot at less and lower your casualties...maybe.
Again, just my thinking on that...
My opinion is that if you project strength you are less likely to get shot or captured. I don't have smaller than 10 man units. I have more small arms firepower at all levels. The world the units are supposed to wake up in is going to be a very violent place, and those who have survived are not idiots. If violence is on their minds they will project it at the weakest they will find.

Once the teams link up and start to stabilize areas then the militarism can be reduced, but out of the bolthole I want my teams to appear about as appetizing to marauders as a porcupine.

Last edited by kato13; 07-23-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by natehale1971 View Post
You need to remember something about the Project... It was created by Bruce E. Morrow who KNEW that things would go hay-wire and the project would sleep 150 years after TEOTWAWKI instead of the 5 years they had planned for.
Is it clear Bruce knew this? I don't remember that specifically being stated.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
Is it clear Bruce knew this? I don't remember that specifically being stated.
Check the 'Wandering Warlock' in the encounters, it is said to be Bruce E. Morrow himself during his forays into the future... Though I have always felt that Bruce E. Morrow had been born in the future, and went back in Time to try and 'fix' the future....
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Check the 'Wandering Warlock' in the encounters, it is said to be Bruce E. Morrow himself during his forays into the future... Though I have always felt that Bruce E. Morrow had been born in the future, and went back in Time to try and 'fix' the future....
Yeah I remember that now. Sometimes my brain blocks out part of canon I don't like
Old 07-23-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Yeah I remember that now. Sometimes my brain blocks out part of canon I don't like
:shurgs: timetravel has been theorized by hard sciences, and was used in the book and movie 'Timeline' that showed how scientists discovered wormholes that created bridges to the past... I had always thought that was what Bruce E. Morrow was doing. His psyhic gifts allowed him to be nautrally drawn to those wormholes and use them to travel back and forth in time. And would allow for the 'floating' date of the TEOTWAWKI since the Council for Tomorrow would be doing things to prepare for it, and subconcously do things that would postpone the TEOTWAWKI. While still showing that they hadn't adverted it, just postponed it.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
:shurgs: timetravel has been theorized by hard sciences, and was used in the book and movie 'Timeline' that showed how scientists discovered wormholes that created bridges to the past... I had always thought that was what Bruce E. Morrow was doing. His psyhic gifts allowed him to be nautrally drawn to those wormholes and use them to travel back and forth in time. And would allow for the 'floating' date of the TEOTWAWKI since the Council for Tomorrow would be doing things to prepare for it, and subconcously do things that would postpone the TEOTWAWKI. While still showing that they hadn't adverted it, just postponed it.
I know time travel is theoretically possible. I am actually working on writing a fiction book based on the concept. I just have always had a hard time accepting that there is no backup to Prime Base and if Bruce knew of the failure it makes that situation even more odd.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I know time travel is theoretically possible. I am actually working on writing a fiction book based on the concept. I just have always had a hard time accepting that there is no backup to Prime Base and if Bruce knew of the failure it makes that situation even more odd.
He knew that Prime Base would fail, and he fought hard against it. But the Council for Tomorrow overruled him and had it built... Remember how Bruce was given the Phoenix Team to smooth over any ruffled feathers over the overruling. I came up with the Combined Operations Group format as the lowest section in the reconstruction, and had described how it went up form there. I can't remember all the info since it was all on the flashdrive that was around my neck when i was in the wreck and i have no idea what happened to it. And the rest of the info was something Emma and I had wrote together. I narrated the entire structure to her, and she wrote it in a notebook that i had later transfered onto computer format. i'm still working on how it went fruther up the line.. but each level had a semi-permenant base.

like you said about the disposable bolthole was stupid, we had used the boltholes as their base-of-operations, and the locale of their largest supply cache with a years worth of food stuff and other supplies that they would be able to use until they would need to access their supply caches.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:07 AM

Jeezus !! I am behind the curve !!
There seem to be so many details that I have forgotten.
One theory I had is that Prime Base was an elaborate decoy and that Krell nerved the wrong place at the wrong time.
If Bruce Morrow knew they would and was unable to convince the suits he would have a back up. Don't you think ?
I read a series of books on the LRRPs and LRPs (there is a difference) in Vietnam and they considered the Green Berets to be sissified but then again there primary missions were all different.
The LRRPs specialty was recon, the LRP were basically HKs and the GBs were supposed to organize and train the friendly locals.
Unlike the GBs, LRRPs and LRPs were billeted behind a chain link fence in the rear as they were not to discuss their missions with anybody else.
How does this apply ?
Well, for one thing they were issued camo uniforms while everybody else got ODs until late in the war and they were armed to the teeth because they were always behind enemy lines (the GBs not as much).
What's my point ?
I don't know, I think I hear my walking out dress calling for some more ironing...and I need to read up on my MP stuff as soon as I can get it out of storage
Old 07-26-2009, 05:18 PM
... Fistful of Polyhedral Dice

Quote:
any links on that synthetic spider silk?
Is the the goat milk based protein mod, or a straight-up hack on the chemistry?
Old 07-26-2009, 05:36 PM

Default Uniform canon, info please...

Resistweave Coveralls are a 'given' in all in print canon.
Check.
The stuff is tougher than chain-mail. [A.R.3]{one always assumed light rings, mild/carbon steel only, no high tech alloy, one overall temper}
Check.
Tougher than 'Nam era Nylon Flack Vest. {not so hard}
Check.

Has anything ever been said in canonical sources about how thick/bulky this stuff is. Given that no indicators in the basic Rule-set, OTHER than the fact that -nothing is noted- about bulk, and that Basic Kit includes a spare Coverall packed away... I've always portrayed this as being a little thinner than 500 grade cordura nylon and a good deal softer/quieter.
In other words, clothing weight, so one -could- have say, street wear tailored from it for an AP of say, 6 and it would be indistinguishable from say, cotton rip-stop. {Always wondered why the "clean contact kit" wasn't made of the stuff, esp. given MP -lethal- combat, and Company policy of "try not to die"}
Thoughts?
I realise this is a wee bit off thread, but it's close and I don't feel up to "first Post, new thread, lookit me!" standards.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Resistweave is a mystery to me. That is probably one of the reasons I kinda bailed on it. I do include something similar as a spall liner on vehicles to up armor lightly armored vehicles, as anything as resistant and flexible as described would only protect against penetration not against impact. That is why I go with existing bulk items, Fritz helmet and dragonskin vests, but with material technology advances (Spider silk).

My thoughts on spider silk is that Morrow researchers were able to synthesize the required proteins from genetically altered bacterium. Kinda goes into the Technological voodoo common in morrow equipment descriptions.

Don't be afraid of going off topic if any OT posts get traction I can split them off into new threads.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:06 PM

I can definitely get behind that Dragon skin (pun intended) Kato but I never liked the Fritz helmet.
I feel it restricts hearing and vision a little. There are a lot of other variants these days that are cut down versions of the original.
I prefer a simple pot like the WW2 English or German paratroop helmets for better hearing and visibility.
As we know, whatever is in the bolthole is what your going to be issued but a frozen operator can dream...
Old 07-26-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Resistweave is a mystery to me. That is probably one of the reasons I kinda bailed on it. I do include something similar as a spall liner on vehicles to up armor lightly armored vehicles, as anything as resistant and flexible as described would only protect against penetration not against impact. That is why I go with existing bulk items, Fritz helmet and dragonskin vests, but with material technology advances (Spider silk).

My thoughts on spider silk is that Morrow researchers were able to synthesize the required proteins from genetically altered bacterium. Kinda goes into the Technological voodoo common in morrow equipment descriptions.

Don't be afraid of going off topic if any OT posts get traction I can split them off into new threads.
No 'voodoo' involved.
The 'goat' thing I mentioned is an actually thought to GenEng goat milk glands to produce spider silk proteins
was wondering if you'd seen anything else on it.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:40 PM

My God !! First the sheep, now the goats !! Is nothing sacred to these people. Just kidding, would you mind elaborating Shotgun
Old 07-27-2009, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
No 'voodoo' involved.
The 'goat' thing I mentioned is an actually thought to GenEng goat milk glands to produce spider silk proteins
was wondering if you'd seen anything else on it.
Yeah I knew about the goat milk protein, but bacterium can produce the proteins in larger volumes more cheaply if they can ever get the engineering right.

I had actually never researched it, but I assumed someone was working on it. And I was right
http://www.physorg.com/news122822094.html
Old 07-27-2009, 10:41 AM

Very interesting article, Kato.
That type of science is what I would hope the "white mice" of the MP were working on back in the 80s. Do you have an idea of how old that particular type of research might be ?
That is to say, could this explain a lot of the "wet suit" style body armor that frequents the gear lists of RPG rule books ?
Here's one thing that I will never understand: armor that is skin tight may stop a bullet from penetrating but without additional external armor of a kinetic energy dispersing type the trauma would still kill or injure the wearer.
I think that is an outright denial of the bulk of any armor.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:03 PM

Default FUnctional Body Armour Theory

I'm going to lay down some licks, and -then- I'm going to spawn a thread.

The Thread, when it happens will be the acronym of this post, so follow along and jump on...

The 'look' of uniform/armour, has been well discussed here, I'm not going to go there, as sartorial perfection, projection of 'image' and all the rest is not my concern. {Here or in FUBAT thread}

I'm ok with 'Resistweave' in my Game. Given the nature of lethality in TMP, I'm perfectly -fine- with a everyday garment that everyone wears that is tougher than a 'concealable' standard BPV, -also- sheds blades and claws better than 10th C. chain-mail, and can be washed in a stream.
Compared to -safe as houses- 'cold' fusion generators that can run a small hamlet for 50 years and can be carried by one person, or shoulder fired laser bazookas, magical bullet proof jammies are a cake-walk.
The idea of layers of armour, not being allowed to, etc is an artefact of system, to prevent munchkins from getting over on sloppy GM/MD/ST's {whatever you call the dude with the screen and the dice and the ability to say "Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies"} and be able to wade into combat with the aplomb of someone who knows they are already cast in the sequel.
Layered armour is -how- armour WORKS.
NO ONE ever, any where ever wear 'JUST a Chain-mail Vest'.
The friggin' Scythians wore loose silk shirts UNDER their Armour and Clothes to -help pull out- NOT stop, arrows they KNEW would get through.
Human bodies ALL work the same way, more or less, weapons are weapons and do damage in predictable ways, and there is a practical limit to the size and bulk of what you -can- wear, period. Don't believe me, ok fine. Then please don't join the other thread. That said, I intend to discuss a couple of systems I have come up with in various games over 30 years of tabletop RPGing that max out what you can deal with and still be an effective combatant, based on personal experience with wearing armor in the Real World in -hot- weather and cold, while trying to beat the tar out of other guys, handling real guns and loads in the field, in and out of the military, and keeping abreast of the 'technical clothing' developments in the outdoor sales fields of retail, because I feed my family by being able to -sell stuff- and if I can't tell a semi-attentive customer why they should spend that -extra- $250 bucks on this jacket instead of a cheap-ass rain jacket, I don't get to buy one for -myself- to use when pay-day comes around.
That said, bona-fides and intent stated, new thread commences tonight.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to clivegh
Default IBA and the basic uniform

For my campaign, The players all have the Basic Uniform (AC7) plus they and commonly due wear the IBA with Plates. Yes Its Heavy (About 20pds), But It will stop an AK-47 Round at close Range. When Layered with the MP uniform its a lot of protection and yes the players have taken a burst from a M60 at 8 meters and lived. IT broke a rib, stunned the player, Broke the IBA ceramic chest plate, and made a mess of his uniform, but he lived.

I always thought if the MP trained and froze teams, they can afford $2000 body Armour.

The Biggest issues for the teams have been the weight. Its a killer when its hot and there carrying the 80 pds of the Basic Load, but considering a Crossbow Bolt is EF12, the teams put up with it.

Also The Hit chart means players are always getting hit in the legs and arms so the IBA does nothing for the players. The AC7 Basic Uniform helps but does not stop a Bow (EF10 to 14).

I use modern (2010) Us military uniforms made from MP Resistoweave. The Team is in the High Desert so they are all in the desert Tan. IT just makes sense to have teams look like modern military as local government would much more likely work with them if they act like US military forces.

Considering they are equipped like us soldiers, the might as well look like them with MP Badges.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivegh View Post
For my campaign, The players all have the Basic Uniform (AC7) plus they and commonly due wear the IBA with Plates. Yes Its Heavy (About 20pds), But It will stop an AK-47 Round at close Range. When Layered with the MP uniform its a lot of protection and yes the players have taken a burst from a M60 at 8 meters and lived. IT broke a rib, stunned the player, Broke the IBA ceramic chest plate, and made a mess of his uniform, but he lived.

I always thought if the MP trained and froze teams, they can afford $2000 body Armour.

The Biggest issues for the teams have been the weight. Its a killer when its hot and there carrying the 80 pds of the Basic Load, but considering a Crossbow Bolt is EF12, the teams put up with it.

Also The Hit chart means players are always getting hit in the legs and arms so the IBA does nothing for the players. The AC7 Basic Uniform helps but does not stop a Bow (EF10 to 14).

I use modern (2010) Us military uniforms made from MP Resistoweave. The Team is in the High Desert so they are all in the desert Tan. IT just makes sense to have teams look like modern military as local government would much more likely work with them if they act like US military forces.

Considering they are equipped like us soldiers, the might as well look like them with MP Badges.
That's what i would want, a layered system for protection. but having the MP look like official soldiers could be seen as a problem as well... Having the MP appear to be a neutral thrid party has it's strengths as well as weaknesses as i've tried to explain...

I went with the base khaki color for the MP uniforms out of an attempt to come up with a color that would fit into almost every environment, with special camo parkas/smocks that would fit specific environments.

my idea for the uniform would have the base 'under armor long johns' under their uniform made of a light weight moisture-wicking resistweave material. then the standard resistweave pants, jacket / tunic (or combat shirt), ankle boots and gartiers / anklets. then you have the bodyarmor composed of a helmet, knee & elbow pads, a vest (with upper arm and groin protection). you would also have an opitional set of shin and forearm guards that could be worn with that.

Level I: basic resistweave field uniform.

Level II: basic resistweave field uniform, knee & elbow pads, full or stripped down vest (upper arm & groin guards) with the helmet as being optional as are a pair of armored combat gloves.

Level III: basic resistweave field uniform, gloves, helmet, vest (upper arm & groin guards, & optional thigh armor), knee & elbow pads, shin & forearm guards. also can inculde an optional ballastic faceplate.

I have ideas of different kinds of helmets that the MP would have... one of the helmets is based on the WWII and West German tanker helmet-beret.

You've got the half helmet like what US Special Forces wear, the full helmet like what our regular troops wear. I have examples that i'll be posting as soon as i can. i've been trying to get the ability to draw each of the different uniforms again.

Last edited by natehale1971; 08-18-2009 at 02:20 PM.