RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive

Old 01-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Operation Red Dawn

Rochkano 12-14-2003, 05:39 PM In case you've been totally cut off (no TV, no radio, and somehow missed it on the internet), the 4th Infantry Division launched Operation Red Dawn which resulted in the capture of Saddam Hussein (1 each).

You know that there was some old school Operations Officer who came up with the name of this operation... Go figure, it was called Red Dawn, but happened at night... must be those counterintelligence guys at work! - or somebody just watched the movie

Do I think this will have any immediate effect on the situation - probably not... will it have an effect in a few months, most likely, as people accept that he is captured and start turning in others.

Jason Weiser 12-14-2003, 09:57 PM Its going to be like all those mob arrests..everybody is going to sing on everybody else. It's going to be a fun thing to watch.

Matt Wiser 12-15-2003, 02:35 AM I'd sure like to know who came up the name for the operation; had to be somebody in the 4th ID's ops center who'd seen the movie as a kid. Or maybe not: Newsweek's issue about the Lynch rescue back in April mentioned that their embed with a 3rd ID battalion noticed that a lot of the troops had portable DVD players and a favorite of the guys (it was armor battalion TF-tank heavy, Bradley light) was Red Dawn. They actually felt sorry for the Russians getting bushwacked in the movie, since similar incidents with far different outcomes were happening to them: can you imagine those Fedayeen idiots charging tanks with pickup trucks with machine guns? That's exactly what happened on numerous occasions...

Rochkano 12-15-2003, 07:25 PM I haven't confirmed it, but I heard the objectives were code named "Wolverine One" and "Wolverine Two"...

jester770 12-15-2003, 09:07 PM yeah per the news reports it is Wolverine 1 and Wolverine 2.

Either they read comics like we did in PG1, or someone went to Univ of michigan.

As for interupting combat troops while they are eating, sleeping or enjoying entertainment you are just plain screwed. No one interupts those favored activities of the grunt and lives!!

Hmmm, maybe we should make some care packages of T2K to send to the kids and recruit some new players who can teacch some of us old dogs a few tricks.

Later,

Jess

Rochkano 12-16-2003, 08:59 PM Jess,

You are missing the obvious connection to Red Dawn... what did the kids spray paint all over the vehicles? "Wolverines"! It was their high school mascot if I remember correctly - though I'm probably wrong...

As for T2k in the sand... whatever I have on my computer is going over.

graebarde 12-18-2003, 11:25 PM No your not wrong... that's right from the movie. Funny how a movie titled operation was the one that bagged the biggie.. one of my fav movies too.