RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerParkJawa View Post
Hello Avantman42

I like this. I'm looking forward to seeing any additional work. I'm interested in the entire independence story line.
There may be minor updates, but I'm not expecting to expand on it a great deal. The idea is that it presents the situation at a particular time (when the PCs arrive). It was my intention to provide background information and a situation that allowed for some interesting possibilities. It's up to the GM how he uses them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerParkJawa View Post
Personally I think it's pointless to even bother or that there is nothing to gain. However, I was immediately filled with questions about why do these guys want to declare independence. Have they given up on being British? Do they want to eject the entire world that went crazy? I would think the soldiers on the islands aren't a true burden but a help.
The independence idea came from real life. Currently, the islands are largely self-governing, but Britain provides defence, largely because the islands can't afford to pay for their own defence. There is a real possibility that commercial oil mining will start soon, and at that point, the Islands' income will increase dramatically, to the point where they could pay for their own defence. Some Islanders are starting to suggest that when/if that happens, there will be no need for them to remain British, and that they should become independent.

In the T2K world situation that I present in the sourcebook, things are somewhat different. The islands aren't self-governing, and there is no prospect of income from oil. On the other hand, there have been some difficulties producing enough food for everyone on the islands. The population of the islands is 3,000 and the British military probably adds another 500. That means that around 15% of the food produced goes to the British military. There is no real threat of invasion, so it's easy for a hungry population to see them as simply a drain on scant resources. Note that the islands were largely self-sufficient before the war, so they don't really need the extra manpower to help out with food production.

Twilight:2000 Resources

Tags
falkland islands, sourcebook