RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 05-07-2009, 07:43 PM

Default A Bit of Inspiration for USCG First District

I've been trying to devise a name for the Coast Guard infantry of First District for years. I didn't want to go with "Marines" because there is a USMC already. The Coast Guard folks of First District may be on poor terms with the Joint Chiefs, but First District is still a US military organization. The USMC is the only group of Marines in the United States military, and only a member of the USMC has earned the right to call himself (or herself) a Marine. (The United Brotherhood of Fishermen is an NGA--a Non-Governmental Agency. They can call their maritime infantry whatever they want. They'll get theirs in the end, anyway.)

"Guardsmen" just has never sounded right to me. "Coast Guardsmen" is too long and too imprecise. The crew aboard a cutter is called Coast Guardsmen. The maritime infantry of First District needs a separate moniker, to my way of thinking. After reading some suggestions here, I tried to make "hammerhead" fit, but the name has too many syllables. "Hammer" has the right number of syllables, but it doesn't sound quite right to me.

Searching for inspiration, I scanned the Port Security Unit badges and insignia. The answer jumped right out from between a pair of seahorses: trident. I'm a bit embarrassed that such an obvious name for the US Coast Guard's First District maritime infantry didn't occur to me at the beginning. Having a name for the maritime infantry of First District somehow makes writing about them a good deal easier. I can write about tridents conducting riverine insertions for long-range patrols in northeastern Massachusetts or northern Maine.

Thanks for your indulgence, gentlemen.

Webstral
Old 05-07-2009, 09:38 PM

Okay, you've sold me. I like it. From now on that is what USCG infantry will be called in my campaign too. Thanks Webby.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:09 AM

I have tried to keep it simple.

naval infantry = sailors fighting on land

coastal infantry = troops that have been trained for amphibious warfare

In Finland we havy many types of troops for amphibious operations for Archiplego sea. Coastal jaegers for commando style operations, coastal infantry for amphibious warfare, combat divers for recon and raids, coastguardsmen for guerilla type activity. And we also have coastal artillery. Coastal artillery also train infantry to protect gunnery units. Both army and navy have units for archipelago warfare and navy reservist could end up in the army unit or vice versa... And of course coastal jaegers have their own combat divers for recon. Problem is that most of the players don't understand the diffrence between the units! KISS.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:57 AM
The Stat Guy

Maybe it's just me, but "trident" in this context makes me think "SEAL." How about something like Harpoons, or Neptunes?

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 05-08-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
Maybe it's just me, but "trident" in this context makes me think "SEAL." How about something like Harpoons, or Neptunes?
I like "harpoon". "Neptune" doesn't have that martial ring I'm looking for, although a renamed cutter could be Neptune. But I like harpoon. Let me cogitate on that one...

Webstral
Old 05-08-2009, 12:56 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webstral
I like "harpoon". "Neptune" doesn't have that martial ring I'm looking for, although a renamed cutter could be Neptune. But I like harpoon. Let me cogitate on that one...

Webstral
Here's another idea: "Sea Lions."

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com

Tags
coast guard, united states