RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 11-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Forum status report.

Unplanned Outage
Couple of 5 min outages this morning due to router reboots as I had to update some firewall settings. Did not think a reboot would be necessary so my apologies for that.

Spammers
Another "sleeper cell" spammer made it into the system today but I deleted it before they decided to do anything. I am reluctant to make registration more difficult at the moment, so there is chance we might see some spam in the future. I have lots of potential solutions but I kinda want to see how the problem manifests itself before I make new member registration more difficult.

Speed
How are we doing speed wise? My tests have shown that my site is about 60% slower than rpghost, is this becoming an issue for anyone?

Cross links
Oh one more thing. We are dropping a bit in Google rankings due to lack of links to this site. The former rpghost links are gone and most links I have posted in other forums are over 30 days old and therefore unlikely to get archived by Google. Any links that people could put on their sites or any other appropriate places would be appreciated.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Sorry there were a couple more short (5 min or so) outages. My uninterruptable power source had a battery failure. Hopefully I can replace it soon. There may be a few more short outages this weekend as I move stuff around.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13
Unplanned Outage
Spammers
Another "sleeper cell" spammer made it into the system today but I deleted it before they decided to do anything. I am reluctant to make registration more difficult at the moment, so there is chance we might see some spam in the future. I have lots of potential solutions but I kinda want to see how the problem manifests itself before I make new member registration more difficult.
As this forum is pretty much focused on a specific game, you've probably got 95% of the people who are likely to come here already registered. If you make things more tricky to register for spammers, you're probably not going to dissuade real users from signing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13
Speed
How are we doing speed wise? My tests have shown that my site is about 60% slower than rpghost, is this becoming an issue for anyone?
I honestly hadn't noticed any speed difference. I use RPGNet a lot and that is frequently very slow, so I don't have any complaints
Old 11-08-2008, 12:35 PM

No complain about speed. I didn't really noticed any difference.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:13 AM

Speed is good for me. I'm really glad this place worked out for us - thanks to you.